Diamond K2 in MAG 4C with NiMH

gdict

Newly Enlightened
I hate to start a new thread, but for the life of me I can not find an answer to my questions by searching the forums.

I received a few Diamond K2 Mag-Lite conversions a couple weeks ago for which I waited a couple months. I have been only mildly impressed by their performance so far. In a 2D Mag it didn't seem any better than a bone stock 3D MagLED. In my 4D Mag with a dummy cell and alkalines, a little better, but still ho-hum.

Today I bought a 4C Mag which had form factor I really like. I also bought some "battery converters" that allow you to use AA NiMH cells in a "C" device. I put some Energizer (Sanyo) 2500 maH AA NiMH cells in them and filled up the light. Incandescant output? Blehhh...

Then I screwed in the Diamond conversion. I turned it on and it started to smoke a little in the light. (!) The output was about equal to another K2 conversion running on 3 D Alkalines.

What i'm wondering is if it is safe to run the Diamond K2 on 4x AA NiMH cells??? This question was asked in other threads, but I was not able to find any sort of response.

I'm also wondering if others have experienced poor beam patterns with the Diamond K2? I found that the little metal tabs on the PR bulb housing seem to have been bent outward to presumably create a better electrical contact. This prevents the assembly from being screwed on far enough to properly focus the LED at full spot. By bending these tabs flat, the conversion screws further inwards and produces a much nicer spot beam.

Anyone else out have experiences or thoughts to share about the Diamond K2 conversion???

What about heatsinks compatible with this conversion? It seems anything would help.

Cheers!

Greg

fleshlite

Banned
WHy don't you try the new Maglite led drop in. Do a comparision between the two and let us know which is better. I believe someone said that the Mag led was performing very well. I have a couple of them, I placed a 4D led into a 2D mag using 5 AA cells and the beam looks good. I'm satisfied with the ones I have for general use. A LEO friend is also using them for the great throw.

chris

Latest posts