Luxeon 10 watts flashlight "luxogen LR-10W"

logan

Newly Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/122071&highlight=watts+luxeon

It is slightly larger than the G&P X9, it takes 3xcr123, the power should be different from my "8 Watt superbright", the ray of the 8w is slightly larger, must be come from the smallest reflectors ?
Quality is good, it's delivered with a second reflector of the same size. The defect of this product is that it heats in a few seconds in the radiator parts, curious when I see that its lightning power is not stronger than my 8 Watt/2xcr123, which it does not heat also quickly and so much.

Sorry for franglish ;)

18bi3.jpg

G&P X9 and Luxogen LR-10W

24ku.jpg

Similar lumiled than 8 watts/7 watts, It was not a 5 watt

39so.jpg

Beam at one meter

dsc007495jg.jpg

At 4 meter.

A good winter-flashlight ? :)

Last edited:

logan

Newly Enlightened
The "8 watt" and "10 watt" bulbs are compatibles, same structure and same lightning power.

It seem to be the same luxeon clone bulb.

The "8 watt" don't heat as much, but when i put its bulb in 10 watt flashlight, it heats.

Heat in "10 watt" comes it from the 3xCR123 ?

Last edited:

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Logan,

Thank you for posting about this light. The pictures with the X9 are great for comparison.

I have been interested in this light as a mod host. I have seen the two bezels that it comes with, but does the head come off easily? can you take pictures of the light with the head off so I can see the heat sink? Any help will be appreciated.

Merci,
Bernie

logan

Newly Enlightened
dsc007477gh.jpg

You can only unscrew the reflector part, I have tried to unscrew the big head but it seem to be unscrewable (one part).

dsc007489ev.jpg

Inside head part, only a hole where to screw the bulb, same as 8w, i don't have a 7w but it's certainly the same.
Sorry for the quality, mobile phone !:whistle:

Thanks !

Last edited:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it use a converter, or just a resistor?

I'll bet they just use a big resistor. The LED draws 1A+, the batteries provide 1A+. The LED needs ~3.9V, the batteries supply 9V, 5.1V lost in the resistor. So yeah, the batteries are providing 10W (9V * 1A+), but most of that is being thrown away. it's a big waste for the user, over half of the battery power is being lost. So much for efficiency.

logan

Newly Enlightened
evan9162 said:
Does it use a converter, or just a resistor?

I'll bet they just use a big resistor. The LED draws 1A+, the batteries provide 1A+. The LED needs ~3.9V, the batteries supply 9V, 5.1V lost in the resistor. So yeah, the batteries are providing 10W (9V * 1A+), but most of that is being thrown away. it's a big waste for the user, over half of the battery power is being lost. So much for efficiency.

Sorry, i don't know, the only thing i can say you that it generate a lot of heat with a similar 8W/7W luminosity.

Last edited:

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then it sounds like it's just a big resistor in there.

So the only thing they've done is try to sell this with an "OMG! MORE WATTS!" strategy, but in the end, the user ends up paying more for batteries, and only gets the same output and runtime as a 2x123A resistored light.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashlightPhreak said:
Other than 1, 3 and 5 watt Luxeons, what other wattage Luxeons are made??? I heard conflicting stories...

They're Luxeon, Luxeon III and Luxeon V, not 1 3 and 5 watt. I've said it before and I'll say it again, wattage depends on how something is driven.

The typical "Luxeon I" is 1.1 watts driven at spec, the typical "Luxeon III" is about 2.4-2.5 watts at spec, and the typical "Luxeon V" is about 4.5 watts.

We have to stop calling them 1 3 or 5 watt LED's because we're deceiving ourselves.

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Thank you for posting the pictures logan! I like the light. I may buy one and run it on 2 17500 LI-ions! That will bring it back into 2-cell territory. I can replace the resistor with a converter.

Bernie

logan

Newly Enlightened
FirstDsent said:
Thank you for posting the pictures logan! I like the light. I may buy one and run it on 2 17500 LI-ions! That will bring it back into 2-cell territory. I can replace the resistor with a converter.

Bernie

Don't forget the tutorial please.:)

Randy Shackleford

Enlightened
FirstDsent said:

Bernie

dropped a Downboy 1000mAh in a Golston 7W and now it can accept either RCR123 or Primary CR123 batteries and it has better runtimes. I highly recommend it.
thumbsup.gif

logan

Newly Enlightened
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I want to mod it with this luxeon V in direct drive:
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Can i use two 17500 or two 18650 ?[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Lambertian LXHL-PW03 Typ 120Lumen
- Nominal current: 700 mA, (Max 1000mA)
- Voltage: Min 5,43V Typ 6,84V Max 8,31V DC
- Power: 5Watt

- Light power: Typ 120 Lumen
- Light colour: White, Min 4500K Typ 5500K Max 10000K
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]

[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

logan

Newly Enlightened
logan said:
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I want to mod it with this luxeon V in direct drive:
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Can i use two 17500 or two 18650 ?[/font]
Here is the luxeon:
Lambertian LXHL-PW03 Typ 120Lumen
- Nominal current: 700 mA, (Max 1000mA)
- Voltage: Min 5,43V Typ 6,84V Max 8,31V DC
- Power: 5Watt

- Light power: Typ 120 Lumen
- Light colour: White, Min 4500K Typ 5500K Max 10000K
[/font]

???:help:???