is this "the end" of PayPal?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Google launches online payment system

Google has launched an online payment system in a head-on challenge to PayPal, the current market leader owned by eBay, the internet auction house.
It's called Google Checkout.

The article talks about potential integration between searches, Froogle, and payments... cool beans, IMO. I haven't had a problem with PP, but I know people who would rather see other options out there. Would you jump on the Google Checkout bandwagon?

Arkayne

Enlightened
I've never had a problem with Paypal.... yet. I won't switch to Google Checkout unless their service charge is less.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to this forum, I have almost no money left in my PP account, so I'm not really worried either way. If I ever get any more money, then I'll think about it...:laughing:

Knight Lights

Enlightened
In a heartbeat!!

PP is run exactly as any other monopoly is run, like a dictatorship, there is no recourse when they decide to do something, they just do it, because you can't really go anywhere else to get the same type of service they offer.

Google may not be better, but the competition will improve the service of both!

Bill

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wondering what is taking the Government so long to regulate, what is basically, becoming a banking organization(s).

Paypal charges more than credit card processors and their customers have significantly fewer rights (as in--none at all).

Another
-Bill

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have gmail ( from google ) for my mail system. Every email is parsed and significant areas are linked to advertisers. For example - I get a note from someone about Maglites - to the right of the note are 3 or 4 links to advertisers that sell Maglites. The service is free, I am sure that Google sells this 'feature' to advertisers, that is how the service is paid for. Paypal has it's own set of issues that people don't like, but I don't think they link transactions to advertisers.

Will Google do the same with transactions from their payment system?

I learned a long time ago that email can be looked at by more people than you would think. SO - to that end - I am careful as to what I write.

I sent a note from AOL mail to my gmail account - the subject was Maglite Flashlights.

the following was on the right of the note:

Sponsored Links
Maxxima LED Flashlights

A Huge Selection Of LED Flashlights All Orders Over $25 Ship For Freewww.maxximastyle.com
Maglite® LED Upgrades

TerraLUX LED kits. Brighter light. Longer Battery Life. Unbreakable.BatteryJunction.com
Carolina Flashlights

LED Flashlights for police, fire & EMS. Maglite, Pelican & much more.www.carolinaflashlights.com
more sponsored links »

Related Pages
Maglite Flashlights

Buy Maglite Flashlights, and 100's of other Maglite flashlights at ...www.tacticalflashlights.com
GlowBug.com : LED Flashlights

Sells a variety of flashlights, lanterns, and pocket lasers.www.glowbug.com
more related pages »

About these links

Last edited:

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like Google and their programs. I havent had much of any problems with Paypal but I wouldnt mind another that I could use. Knowing Google, this would be a good addition to their services.

-C

drizzle

Enlightened
I have similar concerns as "will". I just got my gmail account a little while ago and I'm not crazy about all the interconnectedness in google. I'm beginning to believe that their slogan, "Don't be evil," is more PR posturing than a true intent on doing business.

chrisse242

Enlightened
No way i'm ever gonna give google control over my money. Never, ever! I'm not tooo happy with paypal, but google can be nothing but worse.

Chrisse

KingSmono

Enlightened
According to something I read, the fees are as follows:

Google Checkout charges 2% and 20 cents.
PayPal charges 1.9% and 30 cents.

I doubt this will be the end of PayPal, but it WILL force them to get their act together... In the end, competition benefits the consumer, with cheaper products/services, and better quality! :)

-Allen

Topper

Flashaholic*
So far I have not had a problem with Paypal so I will stick with them as I am too lazy (and stupid) to go through the hassle of opening another account with someone else.
Topper :whistle:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no PP horror stories. I'm wrapped too tight for G-mail or PP. I have a personal friend who had a run in with PP and it took the intervention of two different state attorneys general to get his money back. Everyone's heard a story like that.

I'm really glad that anyone who could compete is stepping up. I won't be signing up soon -- but it looks better than it did.

Latest posts