Does your SF U2 do this when turning the selector ring...

Rotating the selector ring on your U2 does:

• Changes levels seamlessly

Votes: 62 63.9%
  • Light strobes between levels (when turning dial slow)

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Light dims to level 1 between levels (when turning dial slow)

Votes: 23 23.7%
  • Seems to turn itself off in between levels (when turning dial fast)

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

greenLED

Flashaholic
The most recent U2 I got from SF dims to the lowest setting as I rotate the selector ring to change between levels. This is most obvious when I turn the ring slowly; when I turn the ring normally (or fast), it looks like the light turns itself off for an instant. To add to the mix, the light only does this between the higher 3 levels, not while changing between the lower 3. Go figure...

What's the behavior of your U2 when you turn the selector ring slowly, and at normal (or fast) speed? I'd like to know which type of bahavior is most common, or if there are other variations.

Incidentally, I kindly ask that we restrict comments to what the selector ring does, as other issues with the U2 are
:dedhorse::dedhorse::dedhorse:

:thanks:

:ohgeez:Just noticed options 3 & 4 are basically the same... :stupid: feel free to ignore #4. :stupid:

Those of you voting "Changes levels seamlessly", could I please have you try to turn the ring slowly? :devil:

Last edited:

JimmyB

Enlightened
The behavior on mine is different depending on battery type. On primaries it changes levels seamlessly without dropping in output in between. On 18650's it drops to the lowest level in between levels. It acts a bit sluggish on rechargeables vs sharp on primaries.
JimmyB

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is linear and evenly stepped. When my level 6 and level 5 look the same, I know it's time for new batteries. I only use primaries.

Mark

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
I've seen U2's do all of the above. Each one seems to vary just a little bit.
If you get a really good one then getting it to strobe or goto level 1 between the other levels is very tough.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
When i Turn on My U2, to lets say level 4 it starts at level 1 then rapidly turns to the level i want there is a bit of a lagg when turning it on, does anybody else have this problem is it normal. It doesnt bother me but just wondering.

greenLED

Flashaholic
skalomax said:
When i Turn on My U2, to lets say level 4 it starts at level 1 then rapidly turns to the level i want there is a bit of a lagg when turning it on, does anybody else have this problem is it normal. It doesnt bother me but just wondering.
That would be option 3 on the poll - I'm also trying to figure out how often these different behaviors occur.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My U2 is an older, big inside diameter, no sleeve version, ser. no. A00363 and the selector ring is smooth as silk and the light levels step up and down with no strobing or dimming at all.

I also have only used primaries in it so far, but plan to get a rechargable battery for it shortly.

I love my U2 and use it more than any other light I own right now. I hate hearing about all the problems people are having with them. I got mine second hand to assure I would not get a bad one.

I hpoe they get these things sorted out soon so I can buy another new one with the confidence that it will be problem free.:)

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine works like a charm goes up and down just like it should i really do love mine at first i thuoght i made a wrong deceson but i find myself using it more and more also i just use regular batts in it i think that if surefire doesnt sell it for it, it shouldnt be in the flashlight i dont want to spend $200.00+ on a flashlight just to blow the led and surefire wont replace it(unless it really was a problem).
just my 0.02

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont mean when im changing the levels, when i want to use the light, let say its on Level 6 i click the tailcap and it turns on on Lv1 then in less then half a second it goes to the level its on. My U2 is still greeaT!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Skalomax, is yours a really early version? IIIRC, there were some with some kind of a "soft start" feature that sounds like what your U2 is doing.

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine drops down to level one between 4/5/6. As far as i can tell output is good though, so i justify it by pretending that it does that to let me know when i increase to one of the battery-draining levels. Mine's one of the no-idiot-plastic ones.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:crys on Archangel's shoulder:
that's exactly what mine is doing and the output sounds similar as well....

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know what version but it does indeed look like a softstart, I know that my U2 has a battery sleeve inside and the batteries were to be Exp. on 2014 so that means the batteries were put in, on 2004?

ICUDoc

Enlightened
Hi

My U2 is a lovely specimen but it does dip down to level one between levels (so this is why it is noticeable between high but not between low levels). Doesn't trouble me at all.

zhuntai

Newly Enlightened
Woohoo! I think this post doubles as both my first post and first post as a recent U2 owner ;). It came in the post not a hour ago. Mine is A08675 and is the generation with a plastic sleeve inside.

I notice that when I rotate the selector ring, if I do it slooooowwwwwllllly enough, I can in fact sit it on a position of lowest setting between any of the modes (except the two lowest modes of course where it's disguised). I think they way they have designed the selector ring is something like this super ascii diagram....

|<---L1--->| |<---L2--->| |<---L3--->| |<---L4--->| (4 levels represented)
^
^
Selector ring -> to brightness control circuitry

There would of course be portions on the track between conductors (the areas represented between pipes | |. Perhaps if the contact on the selector ring sits between the tracks the brightness control circuitry does not receive and particular input and defaults to the lowest setting?

Anyone with electronics backgrounds know what I'm talking about hahaha?

//-Begin off topic...
Incidently... I'm having a bit of trouble with the clicky on mine. Seach is bring crappy with me so I was wondering if anyone here can point me to how-to's on improving the contact in my clicky. My problem is that when I click mine, it comes on momentarily with the depression but stays off (even with the clicky in).

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened
The story of my U2 this far; Worked perfectly day one, skipped levels 4 and 5 day two, went directly to level 6 instead (not a battery issue, I used new primaries all the time), died completely on day three and has been returned to SF for repairs.

greenLED: I've read in one of your other posts that you got a faulty U2 back from SF. I'm really sorry for you and very apprehensive myself waiting for mine to return from SF. How long can they keep sending sub par flashlights between themselves and us?

Zhuntai: your clickie is on the fritz, mine had the exact same symptoms, got a new one from SF, which works the way it's supposed to. Tried it on my M3 while waiting for the return of my U2...

IMTRBO

Newly Enlightened
My U2 has been serving me very well for quite a long time now. I run it on 18650s, and have had no problems with switching levels. The transition from one level to another is always seamless and smooth. I have just tried twisting my selector ring ever so slowly, and I cannot make the beam dim or blink or anything. It just steps smoothly into the next level.

It really disappoints me that it seems like there are alot of people who have problems with their U2. I really think it's one of the best lights out there, and I would like everyone who owns one to be able to enjoy it to its fullest.

:)

Last edited:

zhuntai

Newly Enlightened
Flyhigh said:
Zhuntai: your clickie is on the fritz, mine had the exact same symptoms, got a new one from SF, which works the way it's supposed to. Tried it on my M3 while waiting for the return of my U2...

Thanks Flyhigh, very happy I don't think that's the case with mine. Ended up taking it for a stroll outside just now (I'm in Australia where it's dark) and it turns out that I was treating my tailcap a little too delicately. Turns out I hadn't screwed it on fully and the LOTC was still slightly in effect. Works beautifully now :). Haha... but for how long?

Somy Nex

Enlightened
mine changes pretty seamlessly when i turn it normally but if i turn it very slowly it will blink off before it goes to the next level (no strobe). i had to choose other since that wasn't included in the options above =)

if it matters, i pretty much only use 18650s in mine. :)

ooo. actually scratch that. I just tested it again and it now moves seamlessly whether i turn it fast or slow as heck. i could've sworn that it used to blink though... maybe that was on 2xCR123s? i dunno...

Last edited:

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened
zhuntai said:
Thanks Flyhigh, very happy I don't think that's the case with mine. Ended up taking it for a stroll outside just now (I'm in Australia where it's dark) and it turns out that I was treating my tailcap a little too delicately. Turns out I hadn't screwed it on fully and the LOTC was still slightly in effect. Works beautifully now :). Haha... but for how long?

I'm really happy for you:) Hope it stays that way.

I don't wish to rain on your parade or anything but mine worked a few hours as well after screwing it down really tight only to die on me a few hours later. Hopefully I'm just unlucky.

I live in Sweden btw, this time of year it's almost light 24/7 - bad place for a flashaholic right now:grin2: