SF L5

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love mine. It is one of the most heavily relied upon lights that I have. No problem running rechargeables, tough, great white beam. I grab it for just about anything, and don't worry about treating it gently. Its truly one of my all time favorites. :bow:

nc987

Enlightened
Love it, but,since I got my U2, my L5 has rarely been touched.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an L5 and U2 and too use the U2 almost exclusively. It's real tough to beat the dimmability of the U2, plus it's a leeeeeettle more portable than the L5. BUT, the L5 allows you to remove the LED head and drop on a Turbohead and a variety of lamps... and you can switch back and forth easily.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had an L5 but sold it. It was a great Light Bright and Tough. Its also great because you can upgrade to a nice TUrboHead or a KL3 Module if you want more throw. I Have an U2 and i Think its the Best Multilevel Light out There and one of the best SureFire. You cant go wrong with the L5 Great Light, just U2 is better!

JanCPF

Enlightened
beam
Absolutely fantastic for walking the woods. Sufficient throw to spot owls and deer, while having *very* bright corona to make sure you dont trip on something on the ground in front of you. The wall of light means you don't have to wave it around to see where you are going.

throw
Medium

size
Perfect for walking. Very light and comfortable to hold. Too big for EDC in you pocket though IMHO.

construction and finish
Excellent. You don't hear of many problems with the L5 here on CPF. It looks *really* good too. :grin2:

cost
Very good value for money

Running in regulation for about 1 hour on one 17670 Li-Ion cell to boot.

Jan

Last edited:

klaudio_ros

Newly Enlightened
I know that the U2, whit its six selectable levels of light, maybe is much useful than the L5; the size is almost the same and also the max output is the same (100 lumens). However there is a big difference of price; with the L5 you can upgrade it with a Turbohead, or with a Kl3. Moreover the L5 semms to be more tough than U2.
I think that with almost the same price of the U2, you can buy the L5 and a HDS...

KDOG4

Newly Enlightened
Also, you can get a McE2S 2-stage tailcap switch and a HAIII Z41 tailcap to put it in and then have 2 level (High/Low) L5 for rougly the price of a U2. I have that setup and love it.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am using my KL5 with a E2C adapter, a TB 18650 tube, and a McE2s standard tailcap with the new McClicky. Looks great. I carry at least two lights so I co not need the two stage ability of the McE2s guts.

Bill

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
What? That regulation/runtime plot looks HORRIBLE! Its supposed to be regulated for a whole hour! I hope thats' not right or an old test.

pilou

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
What? That regulation/runtime plot looks HORRIBLE! Its supposed to be regulated for a whole hour! I hope thats' not right or an old test.

It is not that horrible. You get 90% of max output for about 45 minutes, then you are down to 50% in another 15 minutes. Another 10 minutes, and you are down to 25%. Maybe runtime is fairly limited, but regulation, while not excellent, isn't horrible. :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compared to the regulation plots of the KL1 and KL3, its' "bleh" IMO. I wonder if its' directly heat related? If you could keep the head cooler, would it be better?

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you kept the Head Cooler you will not see a "Whoa" of a difference but shure some. Considiring its a 100 Lumens it does quite good for a luxV with some doing just a bit better.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
All KL5's are not created equal, and that is true for lux V emiters also. That run time graph might be different depending on the vf of the emiter, and whether the driving circuit is buck or buck/boost. Older KL5's were boost only, more recent KL5's have been buck/boost, and my very recently purchased new KL5 is boost only.

Bill

klaudio_ros

Newly Enlightened
the driving circuit is buck or buck/boost. Older KL5's were boost only, more recent KL5's have been buck/boost, and my very recently purchased new KL5 is boost only.
I don't understand this...

and which is the serial number of you new L5?