LED For Camcorder Illumination?

MikeJeffs

Newly Enlightened
Please excuse my ignorance on the subject, I've stumbled here through google, and although I've not completed my quest, I sure feel like I've found the right people to ask!

I have a Sanyo C6 hybrid digital camera/camcorder. I plan to occassionally use it to film breakdancing inside night clubs. Unfortuantly, the low light capability of the camera is not fantastic, so I need some sort of additional illumination.

Camera:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/c6.html

I have come across the camerabright:
http://www.camerabright.com/x1-r.htm

In terms of light, I'm sure it would be sufficient - however it attaches to the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera which is no good for me as my hands are too big to hold the camera without also covering the area where the device would attach.

I've also looked at various head light arrays designed for hiking. This is ok, but lacks a sensible way to attach to the camera.

Finally I've been considering small LED torches. The advantage here being that I can get them that use aaa/aa batteries that will be easy to source when I go travelling and be cheaper. However, I'm worried about light output and spread. I don't want the beam to be too narrow.

The top of the camera is fairly small, but I was contemplating using a single AA or AAA torch, with a big spread and attaching some velcro to the torch and top of the camera to hold it in place. Any suggestions on models? I've seen:
http://216.71.117.133/arc-aaa.shtml

Which looks good, but I'm not sure of its suitability. It's also a bit more expensive than I expected to pay.

Any suggestions as to model, or alternative solutions?

many thanks,

litho123

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF :wave:

In general LED output tends to be blue-ish in color (cold in color tone), and your footage would not have good color rendition ... so I would recommend going with an incandescent type of light. One thing for sure is the use of some type of diffusion material...to spread out the light more evenly.

A Surefire E2e with the MN02 (25 lumen) bulb with an F04 Beam Diffuser would be a suggested light to start with. It's bright, but not too bright and should provide good illumination in the 8' - 12' range with which I think you'd be working in.

If it needs to be brighter, you can upgrade the lamp assembly to the MN03 (60 lumen) bulb.

If it needs to be less bright, you can use the MN01 (15 lumen) lamp assembly with only ONE battery and a dumdum cell.

I hope this helps!

MikeJeffs

Newly Enlightened
I'll def check out that model :)

As for colour temp, its not too important for me. I'm expecting this to be really rough and ready, as long as its clear whats going on. I just though LED would be better because they use less power?

litho123

Enlightened
Power issues aside, you need a light that is bright to begin with. By adding a diffuser, it "redirects" the brightness of the hotspot and blends it to be a more evenly distributed area of light...

The runtimes are as follows with the Surefire E2e...
MN01 - 90 minutes advertised
MN02 - 2.5 hours advertised
MN03 - 75 minutes advertised

PS - I can't tell if you're a USA or International resident...

RE: AA alkaline or rechargable AA nimh ...
You might want to research the Fenix L2P with the L1P body as an extra body ...
There isn't a diffuser made for it, so a little more creativity will be required ...