Surge bulb in a Mini Mag AA

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember some time back where Lux luthur (spelling mistake?) posted a mod on a PT Rage and a Surge bulb being the brightest combo in a small size and reasonably priced package. I was wondering if anyone tried the same for the minimag and if the reflector would melt? I can't think of a good way to power the bulb without a step up circuit. But run time would be short. And to design a circuit to handle one amp and upwards?

Will appreciate any opinions/suggestions

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I put a Surge bulb in a Rage, but I couldn't get it to work for extended periods of time without some melting of the reflector. If only I could find a similarly sized aluminum reflector, I could epoxy it in over the stock one, but I haven't found such a reflector yet. I did do a runtime test, and the head of the light gets hot, but not hot enough so that you can't hold it, so I think the body itself would be OK.

I think a minimag reflector would melt too, unless you could replace it somehow with an aluminum one.

Added:

Carley makes a 2.4V, 2.9W T-1.5 xenon bulb that might be adequate in the minimag. I'm not sure how this would compare to Nexstar.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
And carley doesn't make a alu reflector for mag lites....

Maybe i can just go 2 CR123A with surge bulb? Hmm.....

Oh yeah, since you happen to be in the forum now.... I hope you can help me with a few terms that carley puts on their website regarding the reflectors.

What does it mean for collimating and what about refocusing?

And they have this O.L in their table and a REAM. May I know what units are the measurements in?

Thanks in advance.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nerd,

1) 2 CR123A will probably blow the Surge bulb.

2) I'm not a reflector expert, but I do know that if you place a point source of light at the focal point of a parabolic reflector, it will send it out as what's called plane parallel light. That is to say in the form of a straight line. The beam will still broaden, though, due to diffraction. It is like a telescope mirror in reverse.

3) If you place a point source of light at one of the foci of an ellipse, it will focus it toward the other focus. I don't know why you would want to do this.

4) With regard to units, their bulb units are in inches, so I assume their reflector units are in inches also.