Can I use a regular Sharpie to write on CD-R/DVD-R blanks

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a lifetime supply of regular Sharpies and the "special" CD-R/DVD-R Sharpies are about $8 for a 4-pack.

Is there really a difference?

BTW: I was just at Office Depot and they have a stack of their branded 100 DVD/R for only $19.99. I thought that was a very good price.

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard stories of regular Sharpie ink causing the disks to go unreadable after the written-on disk ages. Personally I have not had this problem, but then I don't have any written-on CDs I keep in an "extreme" environment like the car.

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
I've been using regular sharpies for 8 years now on cd's and have never had a problem yet

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used sharpies before with no problems. However... i haven't taken the burned CD's out into the car or anything. I dont really listen to CD's anymore. The CD's i burn and label are data backup CD's. If you are really worried, worst case scenario go out and spend only a couple of dollars on a CD marker. Those will 100% be perfect for the CD's.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alin10123 said:
I've used sharpies before with no problems. However... i haven't taken the burned CD's out into the car or anything. I dont really listen to CD's anymore. The CD's i burn and label are data backup CD's. If you are really worried, worst case scenario go out and spend only a couple of dollars on a CD marker. Those will 100% be perfect for the CD's.

I only burn data CD's but I can't find the "special" pens individually. I will just use a "regular" Sharpie and make sure that I don't store them outside of my A/C'd house (it's 111 outside right now. Ouch!)

Last edited:

Arkayne

Enlightened
I wonder if a branded 'cd-marker' is just a rebadged permanent marker.

I've been using Sharpies forever and have never had any problems.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'd really like to "know" if the ink formulation in those "special markers" is different or if it's just the same with different labeling?! (...because we'll buy anything! :D )

Arkayne

Enlightened
Sigman said:
I'd really like to "know" if the ink formulation in those "special markers" is different or if it's just the same with different labeling?! (...because we'll buy anything! :D )

lol! I beat you by a minute on that post!

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the Sharpie website (re CD-R/DVD-R Sharpies):

"Sharpie permanent ink is specially formulated for digital media surfaces."

"Ink dries quickly to avoid smearing on CD/DVD surface when writing or marking."

"New softer tip to prevent data loss on CD/DVD surface."

I'm not convinced. Think I'll continue to use the plain Jane Sharpie.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've been using regular Sharpies also with no problems. I think that an "extreme" envirtonment such as a hot car is more of a threat to any CDR than a Sharpie is.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they want you believe the chemical components in the ink may be harmful...of my friends who have discs from the 2X days, I have not heard of a problem. That is not to say it cannot occur. Of the discs I use: Verbaitum, Memorex, Imitation, TDK and even an office supply store cheapie brand, no issues yet.

The alumnium layer on the house brand discs is inferior to the others, it scratches easily.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also use some brands of nail polish to remove sharpie ink.

ie to use on CD-RW.

Not all brands work though.

Best CD's / DVD's to write on....blank white printable ones.

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
Isn't the plastic on the label side of the cd pretty thick? I have a hard time understanding how any ink could hurt the cd/dvd without somehow eating thru the plastic. Now, the other side of the disc......that's a different story!:naughty:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
MScottz said:
Isn't the plastic on the label side of the cd pretty thick? I have a hard time understanding how any ink could hurt the cd/dvd without somehow eating thru the plastic. Now, the other side of the disc......that's a different story!:naughty:

Actually (except for a double sided disk) you've got it upside down!

It's the clear side that is where the plastic is. On top of that single sheet of plastic is the metalic or dye layer where the data is covered by paint or varnish or various kinds. So if the bottom of the disk gets scratched, it can be buffed out, if the top of the disk scratches through the paint and coatings it will actually destroy data! The data layer is not in the middle of the plastic, but just on the top of it!

So you actually have to be more careful of the top of the disk than the bottom.

Sharpies are an alcohol dissolved ink, I think that any CD marker will use the same solvent and so as far as the disk is concerned they are the same. Alcohol is unlikely to mar the paint or plastic, I wouldn't take acetone or nail polish remover to it though as I would expect that to act like paint remover and cloud the plastic or at least remove the paint protecting the data layer.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use sharpies to mark my discs. I have a 200 disc carousel, too, and in order to identify the discs in place, the text needs to be on the outside rim of the disc. Text that is closer to the hole is not visible with the discs so close together. The result is that the ink is over the outer part of the disc, which only holds the very last bit of music anyway. Most cd's don't even use that part, so you can write on it with confidence.