Klarus        

Thread: ATTN: Sailers, Surfers-Any Good "Flip-Flops" Out There Anymore?

Flashaholic*

Default ATTN: Sailers, Surfers-Any Good "Flip-Flops" Out There Anymore?

I love flip-flops and practically live in them in the warmer months but there are many defects. I grew up wearing them in Southern Calif. where I was born. My favorites were hand made in Santa Barbara under the Teva label. Teva sandals are now made in China, (like most things), and they can't hold a candle to the ones available when they were made in S.B. when I was younger.

Are there any good flip-flops made anymore? I'm talking about comfort and no chaffing between the toes, rugged, no abrasion on top of the feet and long lasting. All the ones you see now have about 2-3 inches beyond your toes and are condusive to tripping if you're not careful.

I'm not paying $40.00-$100.00 for FF's made in China!

Default Re: ATTN: Sailers, Surfers-Any Good "Flip-Flops" Out There Anymore?

Rainbow Sandals, they're made in San Clemente, California. Spring for the double arch, they're more comfortable than any shoe I've worn. You'll have to break them in though. ~50 dollars
    Fiat Lux

There is only one sandal - Chaco

Hands-down THE BEST in all categories. Unbeatable customer service and Made in USA to boot. No one ese even tries to compete, especially where wet conditions are involved.

I wear them everywhere 12 months out of the year (except for weddings and funerals).

Find them and buy them. You will not be sorry. MooseJaw sells them as well as many local outdoor/camping shops.

Cheers,

I'm a flipflop wearer when it's not raining or below 60 degrees. I fully endorse the Reef line. I have a friend who's had hers for probably like 15+ years now, and they're still kicking. They last about as long as Doc Martins will, my only other footwear. I'm on my second pair, only because I'm a complete moron and ended up leaving my first, and best EVER pair at a field party.
    Takes a month or 2 to wear your sole into them (the kind with the spongy soles, of coarse), or you can go with leather/suede/etc.
    www.reef.com
    RIP Don and Mike Show. Long Live The Mike O'Meara Show!

Chacos are now made in China; I'm still a fan. I'll second the Rainbows.

OP asked for FLIP FLOPS.

However, Chaco makes them also. I have a pair and like them a lot. I expect 10+ years from them.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Flashaholic

I will second the vote for Reef flip-flops (sandals). I bought a pair a few years ago as replacements for a pair (different brand though) I had for about 18 years that finally gave out. I wanted a thin sole and suede/suede-like foot bed and strap - the "Classic Low" fit the bill and they are very comfortable and appear to be built to last. I seached for several months before finding these and got them a Becker's Surf Shop down in Hermosa Beach, CA. Check them out on the web site link provided above - there are lots of choices to pick from.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by CobraMan; 06-30-2006 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Clarification of information
    More Lights Than I Care to Admit but Not Enough to Stop Buying!

I favor sandels to flip flops now adays, but the last time I tried on a pair I really liked the Quicksilver line. They are comfortable and appear well made.
    ~Greg

"Today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
    -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by nethiker
    I favor sandels to flip flops now adays, but the last time I tried on a pair I really liked the Quicksilver line. They are comfortable and appear well made.

I don't wear flip-flops, but my brother does and he swears by quicksilver. I owned a pair of chaco's a few years ago, and they are outstanding. They would most defiantly have lasted until now, but they were stolen at a waterpark.
    Q-III w/ FluPIC | X5-W | NiteIze AA MiniMag w/ Clickie Switch | PAL Light | Arc AAA (EDC) | Dorcy AAA | 2 AAA & 2AA Riverrock | Fenix L1P (EDC) | PT EOS w/ SXOH | Lumapower D-Mini |

Quote Originally Posted by sloegin
    Chacos are now made in China; I'm still a fan. I'll second the Rainbows.

I had a feeling something was up when I saw their 'new' line on the website.

I better hang on to the eight or ten pair I have, then. I hope they still replace worn parts. Of course, they'd be Chinese parts, but I guess that's life. Reefs are good too, but a totally different animal. May have to look into the other options now...

Cheers,

Here's another vote for the Reef line. I've never had any problems or discomfort from the pairs owned. I'd say that chafing and bad fit is subjective due to foot shape.

In fact, I remember hiking over lava fields to watch the live flows in Hawaii with some. Unfortunately, I don't think there was much left of the sole after that trip.

As an ol' salty dog of many seas, I always wore boots (Hi-Techs) while on board ship. Flip-flops were worn while showering to prevent foot fungus (the 99 cent brand from any discount store).

Reef or Teva are the best flip-flops ever
    Martin