Legend LX, 5 Watt Cyan, 1" Acrylic Ball

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I modified a Brinkmann LX, mounting a cyan 5 watt in it. I did it in the 'PILL' manner. I use a 1" acrylic ball to focus the beam. It is square beam, which I measured at about 960 lux from 1 meter. It is being run direct drive from the 6 volts, so it is not as bright as it can be, but it is very bright, especially for such a small flashlight.

Here are a few pics:

Legend.LX.1.jpg

Legend.LX.2.jpg

And here is a beamshot, in comparison to a 1 watt lambertian, in a 3 'D' cell direct drive flashlight.

Legend.LX.Beamshot.jpg

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Wayne J.,

Very nice! Great job with the optics! I love the "search light" sharp beam edge from the ball lenses! You blended the "grill" perfectly with your optic positioning; well done! I think the cyan and RB really force attention to beam adjustment. I believe the whites will be way more forgiving and by the time they are out, there will masters, such as yourself, who will be able to control the light redirection with great results!

- Don

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by McGizmo:
Wayne J.,

Very nice! Great job with the optics! I love the "search light" sharp beam edge from the ball lenses! You blended the "grill" perfectly with your optic positioning; well done! I think the cyan and RB really force attention to beam adjustment. I believe the whites will be way more forgiving and by the time they are out, there will masters, such as yourself, who will be able to control the light redirection with great results!

- Don
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I was able to focus the beam, by turning the head, to move the ball out or in. It is away from the emitter, not quite touching it. I then epoxied the head in place. I had done a few Brinkmann 3AA's, in which the head was left to turn, so the reflector or optics could be used. Invariably, people will cinch the head down, and crush the emitter. I didn't want this to happen with the 5 watt, so I epoxied the head in place.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com