My first mod, under a buck too!

Nomad

Enlightened
Ok, I did the little ceramic base thing in a mini-mag, and replaced the bulb in a solitaire with an LED and powered it with one of those little mn21 12 volt batteries, both nifty beginner mods.
This is the first mod I've done that involved any cutting and was more than dropping in or swapping a part or two. It was super cheap. I admit I copied Nerdgineer for this. I used the walmart 84 cent AA light. Basically I cut out part of the barrel and jb-welded (overkill? it's what I had on hand) the threaded part to the much shortened body after taking a long time reaming the threaded portion out out so a CR123A cell would fit through that part. Then I clipped the copper (brass?) strip, clipped the spring and I'm just waiting for my LED bulb replacement to come in.

flashlight_project_6_29_06.jpg

Fatter yet far shorter than the mini-mag, slightly taller than the AAA solitaire. :) I've got a 3D cell maglite bulb in there right now simply to make sure everything worked! Ah, it took so long to enlarge the thing...didn't realise 'til after I was done I'd be able to just put the bulb in/take it out through the flashlight housing or I'd not have bothered to make the tailcap removable. D'oh! :awman:

It is powered by a CR123A cell, I'm waiting for TrueBlue's PR2-SMJLED bulb to come in for the light source. 84 cents. Way cool! As a plus I can unscrew the tailcap, the minus is that I don't know how secure it is ofr sure...we'll see how the JB-weld works!

Oh yeah I also showed this picture in TrueBlue's sales thread, probably shouldn't have done that. I got excited.

Nomad

Enlightened
It's great with the PR2-SMJLED that came in the mail. I mean seriously great. I tried a 2 cell Mag LED and a Nite Ize 2-6 cell LED in it and neither were good...the mag LED wouldn't fit (damnit) and the Nite Ize just didn't project any light forward 'cause it sat too low.