Dream 2D Mag Mod- any cells, any lamp

aileron

Newly Enlightened
Greetings and hello, CPF. I have questions for your plump and shapely collective brain.

I just received an unopened 2D Mag in trade and it's begging to be hotwired.
Making it as bright as possible is my goal. What parts would you choose to make the brightest light? If it matters, I use the light mostly in short bursts of perhaps five to thirty seconds.

Pictured is a Fenix L1P, a G2 with a 'High Pressure Xenon 9v' lamp and UCL, an Ultrafire WF-502B with G&P G12 12v lamp, and a Streamlight Tasklight 3AA. The Ultrafire is my current EDC.

Last edited:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Dream 2D Mag Mod

Welch Allen 1274 bulb and 7 NiMH's + one dummy battery. Brightest I could come up with.

Jeff

Tritium

Enlightened

xpitxbullx said:
Welch Allen 1274 bulb and 7 NiMH's + one dummy battery. Brightest I could come up with.

Jeff

I don't think he can get 7 plus a dummy in a non bored d mag unless it is pre
DXXXXX... serial number days when mag tubes were larger.

Thurmond

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

ahhh... battery stations in a DSD?!?!?!

aileron

Newly Enlightened

jar3ds said:
ahhh... battery stations in a DSD?!?!?!
In retrospect I probably should've left the DSD out of the picture. Usually I keep charging primaries in a tupperware container full of baking soda and sand. Still a terrible idea, but I'm cheap, I've had worse stuff vent on me, and I'm the only one who uses the cells. I use a 3.2v nokia charger, stick to fifteen or twenty minute periods of charging, and only reuse them once or twice. It's a precautionary tale in the making, I know.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

brightest consistent output.. 6xAA CBP 1650s and the 1160 lamp run with regulation.. hotdriver or PIR.

-awr

aileron

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the responses everyone :)
I take it the consensus is that the 8AA>2D tube won't fit? My light's serial number does indeed have a D prefix.
The 1160's output is 327 bulb lumens, correct? I think I want quite a bit more than that. In this case I'm definately favoring maximum light over constant output.
I had a Mag85 from lightedge, its output was very pleasing but it was a bit too big to comfortably carry. I guess I was hoping to build something with comparable output. If this isn't possible, what's the closest I can get?
Thanks again.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

The 1274 setup on 7 x NiMH's overdrive is VERY comparable to the Mag85.

Jeff

litho123

Enlightened

With a 8AA-2D holder, some batteries fit and some don't. most lights using this holder are enlarged (bored out) to accomodate the fatter, more capacity AA nimh cells.

I have an unused set of 7-8 GP1800's which fit 4 across in a unbored 2D.

With this setup...
with the stock magswitch...

you can use...
- potted WelchAllyn 1274 bulb
- 7 GP1800's
- 1 dumdum (blank) cell
to have one of the brighter configurations for a 2D sized light.

PM me if you need the parts mentioned.

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF

aileron said:
In retrospect I probably should've left the DSD out of the picture. Usually I keep charging primaries in a tupperware container full of baking soda and sand. Still a terrible idea, but I'm cheap, I've had worse stuff vent on me, and I'm the only one who uses the cells. I use a 3.2v nokia charger, stick to fifteen or twenty minute periods of charging, and only reuse them once or twice. It's a precautionary tale in the making, I know.

WOW!!!! Ummm thats difrent...

missionaryman

Enlightened

brightest I think would be 6AA CBP1650 in a fivemega holder with the ROP (pelican 3854 6v SLA bulbs) - in the order of 1150 bulb lumens and side by side output with a Surefire M6 and G&P scorpion R500 proved the ROP to be slightly brighter, it gives you the benefit of a low beam with still good brightness and longer run time.

If you want to get a KIU socket then you can fit 8AA in an unbored mag but they have to be 2100mah or less, then you can use the westinghouse 6v 35 watt bulb for about 1200 torch lumens MAG35-8!!! Run time would be about 12 minutes and the modamag carrier should handle it in the short bursts your talking about.
The AA's will sag heavily but with 8 of them the result will be bright.

I think you're alluding to using alkalines from your previous post - if so forget about anything bright.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

i wanted to follow-up on the concept mentioned in the first post.. of 'burn up some AAs'... alkalines are good for about 1W each max (AA size).. so.. 6W.. the lamps we all have been mentioning here are about 25W..

in a 2D size light with 3Bore it's possible to get 9xGP2000 cells and that's the brightest you will see in a 2D size w/o removing the magswitch and making a custom battery and switch solution like the USL light.. 100W light.. it is possible.. waaaay not easy.

the 2D 3Bore light can fit 9xGP2000s.. look at http://M85.rouse.com it is the brightest light possible with 2D/3Bore with the switch still inside the light. It is about 100-150Lumen (torch) brighter than the mag85 3D typically made (kiu socket, and direct drive from 9xcbp 1650s).

-awr

aileron

Newly Enlightened

Thanks again everyone.

Kiu's socket is pretty much a drop-in mod, right? As I recall you have to unscrew the stock switch and replace it. Although I can solder and use a dremel, I'm much less comfortable with the latter.

I was hoping to use my thirty-odd Energizer 2500s, but it doesn't look like that's possible in an 8AA tube without boring. The other reason I wanted AAs is that I used my Mag85 in a pinch several times on Duracell and Energizer alkalines, and the output in short bursts was still quite adequate. The more I learn, however, the more attractive other battery types are becoming. If I drop the requirement for AAs and start thinking about more exotic cells like 18650s, will I get significantly increased output?

The more I think about it, the less practicality seems to matter.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

one of the best uses for 'a lot' of AAs.. use series-parallel 12 cell adapter.. and run a 7.2V bulb.. you can use the weaker batteries and long runtime.

LiONs don't have the power density of NiMH.. you need to use a lot of cells to get 'very bright' also.. but 6x17500 in a 2D is an amazing solution for 1111 or 1160 lamp!

I would test the cells you have at 4A.. (if you have a high-power resistor like 10W resistor 1ohm you can put 4 cells in series and see if you can pull 4A from and they hold more than 1.1V).. if so.. 6xAA into 2D for 1160 will be quite a 'gimmie'.. the output is very simlar to 1111 or 1274 but with 6 cells.

-awr

aileron

Newly Enlightened

Hmm.. looking at the specs for most of the mentioned bulbs, they all still seem kinda low output.
When I said exotic cells, I meant anything that I can cram into the 2D without extensive metalwork. I don't really mind if they're AAAs, Sub-Cs, 17500s, NiMH, Li-Ion, Li-Poly, Mr Fusion, whatever- I just want the brightest possible light.

For reference, my Mag85 was stock from lightedge with a LOP, CBP1650s, stock switch, UCL lens, Fivemega 9AA>3D tube, and potted 1185.

I understand the 1185 is the brightest Welch Allyn lamp at 817 bulb lumens, and that the ROP's Pelican Big D bulb is 1150 bulb lumens, is this correct?

That Westinghouse 6v 35W bulb sounds pretty awesome at 1200 _torch_ lumens. Apart from AAs, what will run it? Is there anything with more output?

aileron

Newly Enlightened

KE7AYF said:
WOW!!!! Ummm thats difrent...
I know, it's dumb. I've been lucky and only got a couple leaks- I think the fact that there's only two bare batteries and they're not able to pressurize their container might help reduce the likelihood of strong venting. Nevertheless, I understand the possible consequences. I've seen RC packs energetically spitting burning material all over the place, and I've read some cores will spontaneously explode on contact with air with the added bonus of a nice chemical fire and toxin-impregnated debris. I've only got one G2 left with a bulb that can't take R123s, so within the next month or so I'll be ditching the whole misguided affair. I certainly wouldn't recommend it, but now I sit down and do the math, it's saved me at least $80USD. Maybe enough to justify buying a My Little Friend.. :)

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast

a typical mag85 like described above will net you about 770 torch lumen.. using 9xGP2000s you can get 880+ using stock and bi-pin adapter.. and using non CBP1650 cells.. it's not hard at all to get down to 500L.. (killer bulb life though!).

the '817 is at 9.6V.. at 11.1 where i run them it's closer to 1360!

ROP is approx 25W lamp.. it will get you approx 70% of the output of mag85.

Actually there is one lamp heretofore not mentioned i believe.. and that is the osram 64275.. it's a 35W 6V lamp.. if you have tough enough AA cells like CBPs.. you can run it (it pulls like 6A).. but can output almost exactly the same output of my M85.. 880L (torch).. You will not likely get away with direct-drive with that lamp.. however.. with non cbp cells you 'just might'.. it is not happy with 7.2V.. but 7.0 it is great.. so if you have just the right voltage drop it will work.

You won't get anywhere remotely near the advertised MAH on any cell over 1600mAH.. so don't expect it... but from '2500s' you still might get more than the 1400 or so you'll get from cbp 1650s..

the osram is by far the cleanest meanest brightest whitest lamp that can be used in a 6xAA 2D solution.. no fancy boring just need a very decent bat. pack.. no springs.. 6.35A is a spring melting proposition.

I know you were looking at low-cost but i personally wouldn't try to direct-drive this solution.. regulator is the way to go.. you even have some overhead to keep it in regulation if you have good enough cells.

the westinghouse lamp will direct-drive from 8xAA.. but from six it was ho-hum we were not impressed.. the 275 is simply stunning at 7.0V though.

-awr

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe simplify in a flexible way?

Get that FiveMega 6AAto2D battery holder. ROP that puppy. You'll then have the capabiltiy to run a bunch of other bulbs.

And/or...

Take litho123 up on his offer for the 8AAto2D, potted WelchAllyn 1274 bulb, 7 GP1800's. 1 dumdum (blank) cell.

Then you can ROP that or WA1274 that..

The ROP 7AA will have umph and the WA1274 will have a nice beam. Decide what you like best right before your eyes.

aileron

Newly Enlightened

The more I learn the more it seems moving away from AAs will definately give me better output- to that end I've modified the thread title and original post. I also changed the picture.

So.. now I'm committed to abandoning AAs, what's the absolute brightest bulb and cell combo I can fit in there? The Westinghouse 35W lamp seems to be the brightest suggestion so far.
Thanks to everyone for the help so far and special thanks to litho123 for his excellent offer and andrewwynn for his most verbose and informative replies. You've all been fantastic so far. :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

In a 2D M*g, AA NimH is pretty much the only solution. 8AA is the max that will go in a 2D, but there are no good bulbs for 8AA unless a driver/regulator is used.

7AA and a wa01274 is not a bad combo. But 7AA and a 3854 Rop Hi is killer!

I run my Rop Hi on two 18650 Li-Ion, and it and the 1274 are very close to the same brightness.

It's a pretty serious matter to get a whole lot brighter than this level...