E1E vs. E1L thoughts after EDC of both.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1E has been such a truly amazing EDC light. Most of it's amazing
character comes from it's ability to disappear and how rock solid it's built, this
little light can take the beatings that daily EDC can put on a light.

Then one day woke up and pondered...why carry an E1E when for a few more
bucks one can have nearly twice the lumens and over twice the run-time???

Ordered an E1L and after a short week of EDC, sold the light and went back to the E1E.

It wasn't the fact that the E1L weighs 20% more, that was impossible for me
to tell the .8 ounce difference. What made me really dislike the E1L was the
additional 1/2" or 15% in length.

All 15% above the pocket where it's most undesired. This completely changed
everything I liked about theses single cell SF's. No longer was it comfortable,
no longer did it balance well, no longer did it disappear and become forgotten
by 7am, and now the longer bezel was catching and banging on everything.
Not sure how it lasted even the week it did.

Just thought I'd share my thoughts and see how others felt or if they had
similar or dissimilar results.

Happy torching!

Last edited:

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought I'd share my thoughts and see how others felt or if they had similar or dissimilar results.

Dissimilar for me! My EDCs keep getting bigger. My first EDC was an E2E, was an M4 for a while (until winter/flashlight season was over) and now is an L5 with Turbohead and SW02 tail cap.

I'd carry one of the HID lights as an EDC (10-watt size class, not the mongo 14 and 21 watters) if they had instant-full-power capabilities.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
scott.cr,

How do you carry your lights? In your pocket, on your belt, in a bag, other?

I find myself carry say my HDS EDC U60 or Orb in my pocket and say my L1 or L2, which I find a little large for my pocket, I carry in a bag I have with me.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the FB1 made the KL1 head more than tolerable, but now use a converted LED eXe head on the FB1. Nice and small bezel down carry is the way to go, IMHO.

ExEmodRAZR.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j95/schiesz/ExEmodRAZR.jpg

schiesz

Last edited:

nighthawk

Newly Enlightened
Smaller isn't always better.
I just acquaired an E1L and had to get used to its small size while holding it in my hand.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always like the E1 series. I still occasionally carry an E1 (not E1e). Not the brightest, but very reliable and small enough to tuck away almost anywhere.

-dan

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1L needs a holster almost the same size as the E2e. When I belt carry the E1L I put an extra 123 cell at the bottom of the holster I got for the E2.

I also enjoy the E1e, which I got AFTER the E1L, for its smaller size and the beam color/pattern - nice for wooded trails.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two birds in one post here. ;-)

scott.cr,

How do you carry your lights? In your pocket, on your belt, in a bag, other?

Now that it's summer and I find myself wearing those ugly elastic banded athletic shorts on a daily basis, the L5/Turbohead clips to my waistband and my tee shirt goes over it to conceal it. I'm a thin guy (5'9", 165 lbs.) but the light disappears under a shirt.

If my shirt's tucked in, the M4 or the L5 simply go into a back pocket. Nobody around here has questioned it or found it odd. (It's dark, so isn't a flashlight the equivalent of having an umbrella in the rain?)

This is for benchmade_boy:

Surefire L5, Turbohead and SW02 tail cap all purchased from LightHound. The lamp is an MN16 and it's powered by two RCR123s. The stock N1 never really impressed me, and the MN16 is a bright and easy mod that's reversible. (M4 shown for size reference.)

Another pic of the L5... sorry it's blurry... my digicam's focuser is screwed up.

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I have the EL1 and its my new EDC. Was EDC'ing my G2 but this is so much smaller and has plenty of light output. I don't put it in my pocket, I used the V72 holster from surefire and it works great. But it does fit in the pocket nicely too. I looked at the E1E but run time and brightness just wasn't enough.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just find it hilarious that some people find the E1L "too big." I have an E2L that I think is just right and carry everywhere with no issues.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a little funny. And i'm guilty of the same thing. I build my EDC especially to be the brightest, smallest light I could, and I love it, BUT I really thought I really needed it to be that small. Now i'm working on a light based on a E2 body, and it really isn't too big for much of anything.

I will still carry the single cel light though, I really do love it.

schiesz

RGB_LED

Enlightened
jayflash said:
The E1L needs a holster almost the same size as the E2e. When I belt carry the E1L I put an extra 123 cell at the bottom of the holster I got for the E2.
What a great idea. jayflash, I have to give you props for a fantastic idea!

As for the E1L size, I once EDC'd the E2e and thought that was too much - too many accidental switch-on's in the holster I was using until I wised-up and got the sf holster for the light and turned the tail switch counter-clockwise:duh2:. I then carried the E1L in an sf holster and I found it to be ok - the light is a great size and packs a punch - but I need to get a smaller and more streamlined holster so that it doesn't protrude so much.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
The short runtime and lower output of the E1E, despite its few better qualities, doesn't justify the high price tag. It's just slightly cheaper than an E2E, with a fraction of the output and runtime!
I plan on buying the E1L, because in my case it would be the best deal and option. I already own and carry an E2E. If I bought an E1E, I'd have...an E2E and E1E.
E1L and E2E? This is where the E-series shines. This purchase would leave me with a long-running, one cell Surefire light...an even longer runtime, lightsaber-like two cell E2L...And for when quality really does count, the classic E2E for good old fashioned incan firepower.
As for owning an E1L or E1E by itself, that's not something I can argue about intelligently.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mean to start any real controversy here, but have you considered straying from Surefire and trying a "cheap" Chinese LED light like the Fenix L1P/T or the P1? I just suggest this since I've seen these lights against an E1L and the output is comparable (the P1 might actually win). Plus, all of these lights are MUCH smaller and slimmer than the E1L, which seems to be your primary concern.

Also check out the JetBeam Jet1 which has an incredible beam and will soon have a 2 stage switch with a pocket clip.

Latest posts