Flashaholic*
fd36fc06.jpg

fd36fc07.jpg

fd36fc08.jpg

Review coming soon..

YC

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I recieved mine yesterday... VERY VERY blue/white light and bright. No green at all even when viewing the light off axis. Very impressed. I am running mine in an E2e with a dummy cell.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I got one also and Kevin's well designed module with high quality LED makes a great combo!!! It's also a bonus to be able to completely "field strip" the light and replace optics or lens if desired.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the looks of that much better than the KL1. The KL1 seems too bulky from the pictures.

I want one!!!

yclo

Flashaholic*
Ok, after all this time playing.. erm.. testing Lambda's E1e LS mod I feel that it's about time writing a small review about it.

First of all, no photos yet. Mainly because I'm too busy/lazy, but if any of you wants to know what it looks like I recall that Lambda himself has posted a photo of it.

This thread and that thread.

So, what is it? It is a standard Surefire E1e HA flashlight (I'm still used to saying torch but anyway..) equipped with a brighter than usual luxeon star led. According to Lambda, these were very hard to come by and since brightness of any LS type light will vary in tint, brightness and power consumption anyway, I won't much about that.

What has been done to allow the copper pill to be used in conjunction with an E1e? First of all, using very high-tech methods the front portion of the E1e bezel was unscrewed allowing the original pyrex lens to be replaced by a mineral glass lens. This is done because the thick pyrex lens did not allow for enough room for the NX-05 optics. But even if the mineral glass lens is much thinner, I think it shouldn't break very easily since it is pushed right up against the flat side of the LS optics which gives it some support. The bezel is not glued shut so in cause anything does happen with the lens, it can be easily changed to a new one.

In order for the NX-05 optics to be fitted into the E1e bezel, the hole in which the original MN01 bulb goes into is enlarged. This allows the optics to poke through to meet the copper pill on the other side.

An interesting point to note is when I first opened the package, got the E1e LS in hand and took it apart, what surprised me was the copper pill fell out! And all I did was unscrew the bezel! But.. this is how it is suppose to be. Although personally I'd prefer to have the whole bezel/pill as one part.

After speaking to Lambda about this, his idea was to have a design which allowed the end-user to change out the copper pill and possibly replace it with a different colored one or even a higher powered one. However if you wanted to do this, you'll have to send the entire light back to him since each copper pill is hand fitted to each E1e. Quote: "Tight fit is essential for proper heat disipation", on hand I have one E1e LS, one E1e, one E2e, and one E2. Fitting the copper pill on each the bodies, the E2/E2e's are loose when compared to E1e LS, and it won't even fit into the E1e that I had. This shows the tight tolerances used by Lambda when fitting these copper pills. Personally I haven't run the battery long enough for the LS to warm up, but according to Lambda it does indeed get hot if set down on a table and left turned on.

With the light assembled, the mineral glass lens and the LS optics fit the bezel diameter perfectly! Looking down the bezel with it turned off shows that the NX-05 optics completely fill up any room in it as there are no gaps at all between the side of the optics and the bezel.

The pill itself is constructed of turned copper, Lambda LS driver, and packed with thermal epoxy. It should survive any kinds of shocks and bumps that the flashlight may go through, heck it might even survive a flight across a carpark! Dropping the copper pill should be no problems either since the whole thing is epoxied together with the LS emitter being dead center (giving a nice beam too). The only concern might be that the copper might dent because it is so soft and might interfere with the heat transfer between the pill and the body of the E1e. But since the copper pill will only be exposed when the bezel is unscrewed, mostly when you're changing the battery and/or when you're bored. It should be fine since in the original E1e, changing the battery also meant that the MN01 bulb will be exposed and might fall out. So the typical precautions should be taken when changing the used 123 lithium cell, for example do not unscrew the bezel over a drain, out the window, over a tool box, etc. An advantage is however that the pill should be much more impact resistant than the MN01 bulb so if you do drop it, simply pick it up and put it back in the light.

Finally, I'd like to thank Lambda for allowing me such an opportunity to be the victim... erm.. tester of such a proto mod to an already great light! Now.. to have a pill in cyan/royal blue...

-YC

yclo

Flashaholic*
Brightness comparison to KL1
fd224ccd.jpg

fd224ccc.jpg

KL1 on left, and Lambda E1e Copper Pill on right.

Note the very purple tint on the KL1.

According to Lambda on this thread, my E1e Pill already has a purple tint.

Originally posted by lambda:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by yclo:
Kevin,

Is the Q2H similar to the one in the E1e LS Copper Pill?

-YC
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Q2H has less purple tint than the one in your Copper Pill.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">-YC

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can tell no discernable difference in the light output on my KL1 vs CP1