Can you take the emitter out of a new KL1 and reuse it?

KDOG4

Newly Enlightened
So I have this new KL1 head that I destroyed trying to mod it (put a reflector in ), and I have this brand new G&P 3W LED drop in that I just got in today that of course is purplish-blue. So I'm eyeballing the emitter in this KL1 and wonderin if its possible to take it out and put in the G&P. Thoughts?

KDOG4

Newly Enlightened
Guess it doesn't matter now, just ordered a UX0K LuxIII emitter from PhotonFanatic....

grnamin

Enlightened
A UX0K should work with the G&P driver. I burned out 3 TX0Hs with that driver. Must have been the low Vf of a "H". Just be careful when you extract the old LED from the module. You may want to preserve the plastic sleeves that cover the positive and negative leads of the LED. They are what isolate the covered leads from contacting the heatsink. Good luck!

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
How would I preserve the plastic sleeves? On the last one I did, I had to pull them off to work with the wires.

grnamin

Enlightened
You could use needlenose pliers to pull the sleeves away from the emitter and then pull them back when you have the new emitter in place. I'm not 100% sure you can do it this way, though. If you can't preserve the sleeves, you'll have to find a way to isolate the leads from the bare aluminum heatsink.