Ok, you GQ guys, what's the best brand Polo shirt?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to wear Polo shirts, anybody else? What do you consider the best brand in terms of appearance and wear? I once bought a cheapie at Kmart that pilled and had torn threads immediately but on the other hand, do I really need to spend $70 at the local upscale department store to get a genuine Lacoste alligator Polo shirt? Many years ago I bought some Levi's brand Polo shirts that I thought were a good compromise and they stood the test of time. I don't mind paying a little more for a shirt I know will last a long time.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
geepondy said:
do I really need to spend $70 at the local upscale department store to get a genuine Lacoste alligator Polo shirt?.

Absolutley, for dressy occasions. Check Goodys and Tj Max and other cheap dept stores, you can find LaCoste and Polo shirts for under $30.00. I have 2 LaCoste's and love them both. But its usually just a Tshirt and Shorts for me....

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Lacoste will look and feel good and last much longer than most of those big chain store-brand shirts. Why buy 2 lesser quality shirts when for the same money you can buy one better fabric/high quality shirt that will last twice as long and look and feel much better on you?
Where's the value in buying the lesser quality shirt?

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really can't tell the difference. I have shirts from Land's End and various nicer department stores and also an assortment of Ralph Lauren Polos. Anywhere from $30-60 (years ago when I bought my shirts), they are pretty similar to me, but I don't pay much attention.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Polo from Ralph Lauren. Still have have them even after 15 years. The color still holds fast.

Then you have Lands' End and J. Crew—

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed a small hole in one of my Land's End shirts and mentioned it in passing while placing another order. She offered to replace it, no questions asked.
I never did send it back because I realized it was over 10 years old.

That said, I can't tell any difference between my Land's End and my very cheap, bought a dozen on E-bay Wear Guard shirts.