Finally got my K2 LED for MAG, but... disappointing brightness

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
I am not intending this thread or this question to bash the K2 LED, but maybe I put myself under a false impression.

I ordered this white K2 LED, and after a long wait, it finally arrived today.

I dropped it into my 2D Maglite, and the light output is dismally not bright.
awman.gif

Now, I notice on the listing that it says optimum output from 3 cell Maglite... (Honestly I don't remember noticing that when I first ordered, and I'm not saying it wasn't there at the time, just that I didn't notice it, if it was.) My Mag that I dropped it into is a 2D. The light output just does not even compare with what comes out of my 2D MAGLED factory LED flashlight.

Is it just that the 2D Maglite doesn't drive this thing powerfully enough? Can anyone tell me if I would see a marked difference (commensurate with what you'd think when you read "6.5W"!) if I had a 3D Maglite to put it in?

Where can you even get a 3D Maglite now? Walmart seems to carry only the 2D.

Thanks!

-Jeffrey

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you reverse the tailcap spring you can put 3 C batteries in, I usually cut a peice of PVC to fit the C's and wrap it with a little duct tape to snug up against the sides of the maglite.

If you want to see the output on a 3 cel light, this is the simplest way I know of.

schiesz

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
I'd try it but I don't even have 3 C batteries on hand. :(

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I appreciate you trying.

-Jeffrey

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
That 3rd cell is pretty important since your voltage is only 66% of what it should be. You could do a boost circuit. (but that would complicate things a little).
Or... just go out and get a 3D mag. I believe home depot or lowes should have them.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alin10123 said:
T
Or... just go out and get a 3D mag. I believe home depot or lowes should have them.

Best to go that route unless you can return the module for a refund?

It's really hard for me to justify buying an expensive drop-in as the technology just keeps leap-frogging itself. Almost monthly it seems. I think a couple modders on here have already surpassed a K2 if I'm not mistaken.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit Up said:
Best to go that route unless you can return the module for a refund?

It's really hard for me to justify buying an expensive drop-in as the technology just keeps leap-frogging itself. Almost monthly it seems. I think a couple modders on here have already surpassed a K2 if I'm not mistaken.

$24 is not expensive for a K2 drop in IMO. LED's are changing quickly, but that doesn't mean that the lights you currently have are worthless. The 3D mag will be returnable at the lowe's or home depot. But it and try it out and see if it impresses you. If not, you could always keep the 3D mag and build an ROP or something. It'll probably be 10 times as bright as your drop in. however... it's a totally different animal. The K2 will run for much longer than the ROP.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alin10123 said:
$24 is not expensive for a K2 drop in IMO. LED's are changing quickly, but that doesn't mean that the lights you currently have are worthless. The 3D mag will be returnable at the lowe's or home depot. But it and try it out and see if it impresses you. If not, you could always keep the 3D mag and build an ROP or something. It'll probably be 10 times as bright as your drop in. however... it's a totally different animal. The K2 will run for much longer than the ROP.

Useful is a Dorcy 1xAAA.
I think he was shooting for extra brightness and was hoping to get a K2 LED replacement for an old incan mag that will outshine his MagLED. (He has useful covered with the MagLED) So now he has to spend extra money to get a new host for the LED and be right back at square one: A 2D incan that still needs an LED that is brighter than what he's currently getting.

Talk about a roundabout way of spending cash.

See if the site will do an exchange on a 2D based LED and refund the difference, if any.