FB1 Switch problems

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone has come across a VG FB1 switch problem such as this...

I have a modded KL1 w/ FLuPIC and UW0J, which I love. I love the KL1 + FB1 combo as well, but the switch on my FB1 is really getting annoying. I can move the rubber cover around (roll it with my thumb) and the light will dim, flicker, brighten. I have taken the thing apart (cleaned) all the way down to the inner switch components but nothing has helped. I have even expanded the springs & legs of the inner switch parts but nothing made a difference.

I know this problem was similar to when the old FB1 switch was around but I have the spring version. I would love to just fix the switch or replace it, yet I am about ready to chunk the whole FB1 and just get an Aleph or Surefire body & switch. I'd really love one of TB's kroll r123 bodys but that is another thread.

Anyone just up and replaced the switch? Which switch worked?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated cause this thing is getting on my nerves...

Sincerely,

Shaman

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
shaman - Was considering getting an FB1 body, researched the threads and
was still on the fence. Was hoping the new tailcap with spring fixed the issues
folks were having.

You've helped with the decision, I'll stick with my E1E body and stock tailcap
configuration.

Sorry I couldn't be as much help to you as you were to me on this. Hope all
works out with the fix/replacement.

Happy torching.

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Hi Seery,

Don't get me wrong, I really do like the formfactor and combo itself. From my understanding they are definitely not all like this. Many have TW4 combos that they live by. If I could just replace the inner switch, I'd be happy with it. Don't let my example ruin the bunch...it is a price to pay for small formfactor. I just want my switch to work flawlessly in which it does not now. I've even isolated my switch and tested the resistance of it only to see the resistance fluctuate on the meter. I think I just got a bad switch.

Thanks for the words of encouragement in my quest!

Sincerely,

Shaman

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried contacting VitalGear to see if they will replace it? My FB1 works flawlessly, but if I had trouble with it I would contact the manufacturer.

schiesz

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Hi schiesz,

That is one thing that I haven't done. Whom should I contact Vital Gear directly, or Lighthound. Plus I can't remember what the warranty is on these things.

Sincerely,

Shaman

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Cool,

Thanks for the link schiesz. I actually just sent one to lighthound (asking for assistance & direction). I'll gladly send it back, or buy just a new switch board. Lighthound is great so I'll gear up another email for [email protected] to see if anything will come about.

I tried searching at Radshacks website to see if one of their switches might work but I kinda doubt it.

Sincerely,

Shaman

cqbdude

Enlightened
I have a similar problem with FB1 ...It was really bad from the start..

I have tried all of the things that you have tried with no luck..

Im glad you asked the forum...

Let me know if Vital Gear rectifies the problem...

I have plenty of other bodies so I wasnt in a hurry but I keep seeing it on my desk and I wouldnt mind it fixed..

Thanks,

Raul

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Hi cqbdude,

It kinda gets like the "stone in my shoe" situation. Mine is not that bad but it sure does get annoying.

Just as a general clear all statement, I am not blaming the maker nor am I upset with the product (or combo). I just noticed a problem on mine that I would like to get fixed if possible (even if that means purchasing another switch). Any part can go bad, on any product. I just want to fix mine if possible :)

Hey, I'm a modder/tweaker what can I say :)

cqbdude,

I will say that when I took the switch itself apart, and expanded the metal connectors within it (and cleaned it) it did get better for a brief time. It did however return. Just be careful, there are two sets of metal connectors and a small spring within the small plastic switch. I did notice that the metal connectors were not all bent at the same angle, which was interesting since it looked as though some were taking the greatest portion of the stress.

Anyways any new information I'll post here.

Sincerely,

Shaman

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
its not the first time there have been problems... i got a fb1 with the new tailcap (with spring) and it didnt work correctly, so i replaced it TWICE, and they didnt work, so i went with the old switch, changed the o-ring, and now it is flawless and is VERY waterproof.

BTW, now it doesnt work with r123... shux.

-David

Last edited:

shaman

Newly Enlightened
Well here is the latest...

I originally purchased the FB1 from Lighthound some time ago. I emailed Lighthound earlier today inquiring on the switch and well... Lighthound is sending me a new switch, shipping Monday, at no cost. What can I say, Lighthound is great!

I am curious at this point if I need to have this moved to the Cheers section? I would still like to discuss in another thread some potential fixes for the bad switches, but I can't ignore my severe thanks & cheers to Lighthound.

Any Moderator's thoughts would be greatly appreciated, just want to be in the right here.

Sincerely,

Shaman

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently i've been pretty lucky with mine because i've never had any trouble with any batteries in it. I have in on a FLuPic light too, so I use the heck out of the switch.

schiesz

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read about the switch problems with the old design before purchasing my FB1, but was hoping the new spring design resolved it. I still made sure to ask Lighthound what to do if my switch failed and he told me if it fails, he'll replace it. Good enough for me...I trust John so I ordered my FB1. Hopefully I won't ever need to contact him for a replacement, but it's good to know John will rectify matters.