Citizen 1.2W matching Luxeon K2 @ 1/5th the power

*Retired*
I was pretty impressed for total light output, by the new Citizen Orion. It was pretty much matching the K2 for light output, but using less than 1/5th the power. The camera white balance is off a bit, the Orion doesn't appear that warm in reality:
led10.jpg

http://www.cecol.com/offers.asp

Designed for area lighting.

Haven't had a chance to put a reflector on it.

Datasheet:
http://www.cecol.com/pdf/652s.pdf

They use Nichia die in their parts.

More about them:
http://www.c-e.co.jp/e/company/seihingaiyo.html

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Citzen 1.2W matching Luxeon K2 @ 1/5th the power

is the citizen the same size as the k2... in other word, if i wanted to mod a lux3 or 5 light with this, would it work? can we get some pics of it please?

-David

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's 14mmx14mm, so 4 luxeons of any type will fit in the same area. it has 8 dies emitting light.

my two WW0T luxeon Vs hit ~90 lumens at 1.8W, so using more dies at less current per die is a sure thing for hitting this kind of efficiency.

The large package size and emission area make this device a difficult beast to tame optically.

There's also no mention of thermal resistance, nor thermal derating graphs.

Any idea on price?

Last edited:

*Retired*
evan9162 said:
it's 14mmx14mm, so 4 luxeons of any type will fit in the same area. it has 8 dies emitting light.

my two WW0T luxeon Vs hit ~90 lumens at 1.8W, so using more dies at less current per die is a sure thing for hitting this kind of efficiency.

The large package size and emission area make this device a difficult beast to tame optically.

Any idea on price?

Cost is under 10 dollars for the Citizen part. You can get a single Citizen for 10 dollars.

One is still saving 30% the power with the Citizen compared to the under driven Lux V.

Each Lux V is 14.56 ea, and getting just WWOT parts might be a bit more expensive yet.

So it looks like you are saving 30% the cost too.

Four separate Luxeon parts would have four distinctly different emission areas, and depending on what a person was trying to do it could be okay, or a problem. The underdriven Lux V idea seems to be a better- more costly solution and less efficient solution, depending on what you are trying to do.

The four underdriven Lux I would add up to 12 dollars, but I don't know if you could reach the lm/W point, and have the same total light output at the same time.

The problem with the multiple luxeon approach is that each set of leads is 14.5 mm long from end to end, so it would be tough to fit in the same area, unless you started clipping leads, and doing the watchmaker haywire approach.

One could do a multiple underdriven Lux V solution, and possibly reach the lm/w and total light output at the same time, but you'd be over 3x the cost.

Melchior

Newly Enlightened
Impressive. Strange design too.

16 SEPERATE pins, two for each die. Could be interesting for dimming without PWM or varing current/voltage.

I SO want to see these in Edison type replacements for regular light bulbs.

Or Flourescent style panels, with several emitters line up in a row.

Too bad about the $10 Cost per unit. I doubt price breaks would happen for 4 units.

Also thats 16 pins per module, ugh 64 connections in total. Also they don't seem to have actial PINs or foil coming off the module itself. Soldering ONTO the LED itself seems foolhardy.:sigh:
(Lets see if epoxy melts in close proximity to a hot iron!:thumbsdow)