Eternalight - prone to LED failure?

Nubo

Enlightened
I'm beginning to wonder if it's just bad luck, or is this light just hard on LEDs? I sent it back twice because of dead and/or flickering LEDs. The first time the 2 sick LEDs were replaced. The 2nd time, they replaced the entire light. Now I've got another LED that flickers on the higher settings.

I don't think I've done anything outside the normal operation of the light. I've never used the overdrive for more than 10 or 15 seconds (recommended 1 minute max). Environmental conditions are normal, and no hard drops.

This is too bad because I really like the concept. And the light served perfectly while I was recovering from a recent surgery -- kept it on low all night as a night-light and used it to navigate the house to avoid falls. It served several days like this and still has plenty of battery power left.

I'm not sure what to do about this; I'm tired of the RMA process. Thinking about soldering in a replacement LED on my own. On the other hand, the socketed "CPF Edition" sounds reasonable, and I could swap out LEDs until I get "lucky" with a robust set of 4. I'm just wondering though if it's just maybe a problem with the way the light drives the LEDs. Seems like I usually start having problems once I've played around with the "strobe" function. I wonder maybe near the top end of "strobe" function the LEDs are somehow overdriven?

Anyway, just looking for others' experience with this light in terms of longevity. LEDs are supposed to last longer than incans, right? :)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I own "several" :D EternaLights (different models as well) and have never had a problem. Don't know what to say, but I've always been treated well by them!!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll agree with Sigman. I've half a dozen in various locations around the house, cellar, garage and car and use them, so far without a problem. I don't EDC any of them so they don't get near the use of my EDC lights though....

Karl

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've been impressed with my eternaLight and immediately learned the functions. After about a month of use, the first LED (righ side when looking down and facing forward) flickers on high. But doesn't when I dim down to the next level. Haven't returned it yet after they mentioned for me to do so.

Enjoy!

Rob187

Enlightened
I've had an ergo for a few years without an issue with the LEDs. It has dramas with dodgy battery contacts though. My newish EliteMax is running great.

Nubo

Enlightened
CHC said:
I've been impressed with my eternaLight and immediately learned the functions. After about a month of use, the first LED (righ side when looking down and facing forward) flickers on high. But doesn't when I dim down to the next level. Haven't returned it yet after they mentioned for me to do so.

Enjoy!

Sounds like mine. The blinking goes away on lower power settings, but the output from the "sick" LED is still dimmer and a lot more purple than the others. It gets progressively worse and now goes out completely on "high". Seems like they may be working through a quality problem with their LED supplier but I'm tired of being a guinea pig. I wouldn't mind them socketizing the thing and I'd go on my way choosing my own LEDs, I just want to make sure the light is worth it otherwise in terms of durability. Doesn't seem like there's much chance for heat dissipation. There are times when I want 30 minutes or even more on 100% power and I don't know if the light seriously can take it. FWIW, mine is an Elite-Max.

The company has taken care of the problem twice and I've no doubt they would do so again, but it's becoming a hassle nonetheless.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfect performance from my 6 ELs and 3 more Derringers. I've upgraded all of the Derringers and 2 ELs to Nichia CS and will do the rest when time permits.

Sounds like a bad batch of LEDs. I've got 2 of the Elite Maxes and no trouble. I've got the "sockets" to make one of mine changeable when I upgrade it. I was going to do all of them that way, but changed my mind b/c of heat sinking. The board is used as a heat sink and the sockets do reduce that ability. I'm comfortable with the Nichia CS history, so I'll solder most of them.

Sorry you're having problems. I consider the ELs at the top of the list for reliability and durability, kinda like the security blanket of flashlights.

Nubo

Enlightened
kitelights said:
Perfect performance from my 6 ELs and 3 more Derringers. I've upgraded all of the Derringers and 2 ELs to Nichia CS and will do the rest when time permits.

Sounds like a bad batch of LEDs. I've got 2 of the Elite Maxes and no trouble. I've got the "sockets" to make one of mine changeable when I upgrade it. I was going to do all of them that way, but changed my mind b/c of heat sinking. The board is used as a heat sink and the sockets do reduce that ability. I'm comfortable with the Nichia CS history, so I'll solder most of them.

Sorry you're having problems. I consider the ELs at the top of the list for reliability and durability, kinda like the security blanket of flashlights.

Thanks for the info, especially the opinion on socketing vs. heatsink capacity. I think I can handle soldering in new lamp(s). Do you know of a convenient source for the Nichias you mention (without having to time a leap into a group-buy? :sweat: )