JIL DD seems TOO bright...

HenryE

Newly Enlightened
I have a JIL DD with a rechargeable CR2. This is an incredibly bright light - about as bright as a Chinese two-CR123 "five watt Luxeon". It's far brighter than a Q3 (with rechargeable RCR123). I have no way to measure it, but it's amazing.

Are all JIL DDs like this, or did I just get lucky? (thanks, Rainer)

Henry

CLHC

Flashaholic
Way to go on this particular Bright little w[one]der! Somehow for me, I prefer small single-celled torchers that REALLY puts out a LOT of light.

Enjoy!

christrose

Newly Enlightened
The voltage of RCR2 is too high for JIL-DD (many of these has Vf J or H LuxIII).
I feel it has a risk for a life of emitter.

HenryE

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what's in this one, but have a UXOJ that I can put in there if it's anything less. And a FLuPIC, too.

This evening I compared the JIL (RCR2) to a Jetbeam (CR123). The JIL seems to be putting out more light overall, but with less of a hotspot. It doesn't make sense that the JIL gets warm but the Jetbeam gets downright hot!

Henry

christrose

Newly Enlightened
Trashman,
Maybe, if it is in higher side of the range of Vf J.
I remember some Vf-K JIL-DD were made for using rechargable cell in the eary time of production.

HenryE,
I love FluPIC JIL-DD too :)

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Jil DD with TWOJ should be OK with a RCR2 lithium ion, but watch for heat. Don't let it get too hot. After a little while the voltage will settle, and it won't be as crazily bright (or run as hot) A TWOH DD is a very bad idea with a RCR2.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I generally use a RCR2 in my JIL DD these days, but it does get very hot. The brightness compares with the ORB RAW 3W on full power with RCR2, I don't think the RAW is regulated either, as it also gets hot, and has a battery life of 20 mins with the RCR2.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just thought I'd say that this thread is pushing me to buy a DD. I guess I could only convince my self, for so long, that my 1.3w (TWOH) was enough.

Marc

Newly Enlightened
JIL DD + FluPIC is definitely the best keychain light out there. I use mine every day. Setting the high level around 15 is very bright without getting too hot on the long run.

HenryE

Newly Enlightened
Marc said:
JIL DD + FluPIC is definitely the best keychain light out there. I use mine every day. Setting the high level around 15 is very bright without getting too hot on the long run.

Thanks for the input. I guess yours is TWOJ and you're using RCR? I'll keep low at menu-level, high where you suggest, and reserve MAX for when it's necessary. Also, I've found that when using this light without FLuPIC, holding it in a fist keeps the heat down.

Has anyone milled away any of the extra aluminum from a JIL?

vortechs

Enlightened
There is a thread with a lot of information about the JIL-CR2 over here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/116901

See post #4 in that thread for a summary of info about the JIL-CR2 series. Please let me know if there is anything in that post that is incorrect, or if there is anything that needs to be added.

I had not heard that some of the older JIL-CR2 DD's were produced with K-bin Vf. I thought they were all TW0J or TW0H, but I wasn't on CPF back then so I've missed a lot of the early history of the model.

Marc

Newly Enlightened
At the time you could get some T**K by special request, if you intended to use RCR2. Very bright, very hot and about 20mins of runtime.

vortechs said:
I had not heard that some of the older JIL-CR2 DD's were produced with K-bin Vf. I thought they were all TW0J or TW0H, but I wasn't on CPF back then so I've missed a lot of the early history of the model.

Latest posts