NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        

Thread: Rechargable Maglite upgrade? UPDATE

Default Rechargable Maglite upgrade? UPDATE

New to the forum and I am not a light addict like some people here. However, this forum is very interesting and has caused me to dig out my old maglite rechargable. This light is over 20 years old and was carried on duty for many years.

Anyway, technology being what it is now, are there any upgrades available for it? It is still a pretty bright light.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by mac66; 07-14-2006 at 08:35 AM.

Default Re: Rechargable Maglite upgrade?

Most people start by simply replacing the stock bulb with a Welch Allyn 1160 bulb. It will make a huge difference.

http://www.light-edge.com/proddetail...prod=WA01160BP

You might want to get a new battery stick to power the aforementioned WA01160.

You MIGHT also want to "frost" that WA01160. IE: Use ArmourEtch cream (Hobby Lobby) to coat the bulb (gloves and lots of ventilation - this is rather nasty stuff) for about 30 seconds.

It didn't kill the throw in my MC but it did give it a more SF type beam.
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Thanks, I will give the WA bulb a shot. I went and found a bunch of other post on the magcharger. I forgot the light was called the magcharger so the earlier search did not give me much.
    Last edited by mac66; 07-02-2006 at 01:30 PM.

litho 123 here on cpf is a member who sells regular and frosted 1160's, he might not be doing a group by right now though.

When you put the new bulb in, dont push it all the way down into the socket as the extra heat may cause it to melt. You can also try inserting a mica heat sheild. There was a member here who was sending them out for free. Not sure if hes still doing it.

Also, if the head on yours rotates too much for your liking, you can take a body o ring from a similar 3d maglight and put it on the the magcharger. Take apart the head and slide it down a bit on the body, and you will see a "retaining" ring. put the o ring under the ring. (closer to the tail cap). Then reassemble. This will ensure that the head rotates from spot to flood only when you want it too.

There are also other "heavy duty" mods available. Stuff like LOP (light orange peel) reflectors, which look like the ones from surefire. Smooth out the beam a bit. (I have not tried them, but others have).

Theres nimh batteries available. (I also have not tried this)

And fivemega, is in the process of making a group buy for a new 2D barrel, with an extra cell in it, so you can power a much brighter bulb all while having the light shorter. (tempting, but a bit pricey for my blood).

Well, not really looking to impress anyone. Just looking to see what I can do optimize it's performance cheaply. Looks like the wa1160 bulb is a fairly cheap way and from what I read, one can have a longer lasting more powerful battery pack put together cheaper than the stock one. My old battery pack isn't holding much of a charge anymore and the OEM one is $30-40!.

Geez, the flashlight addicts here are worse than gun nuts when it comes tweating, modifying and accessorizing their stuff.

Flashaholic*

Fox has some pretty affordable 3rd party replacement batteries for the MagCharger/SL-20

http://www.fox-intl.com/item.asp?id=593

Quote Originally Posted by mac66
    My old battery pack isn't holding much of a charge anymore and the OEM one is $30-40!.

Check out these mods by fivemega-

M*g Charger Turbo Boost Kit
    M*g Charger Aluminum Cammed Reflector
    M*g Charger Ceramic Bi-Pin Slug
    M*g Charger 37mm & 74mm extension tube

I have the the first three using the WA1111 in the MC I use at work. The output is pretty amazing, but it's not cheap.

TerrraLUX has an LED drop-in. I don't know anything about it.
    Last edited by ksbman; 07-03-2006 at 04:28 PM.
    Keith

A light on the shelf is a light in need, but a light in the hand is a light indeed. - PocketBeam

Default Re: Rechargable Maglite upgrade? UPDATE

Well. I got my wa1160 bulbs and a new NIHM battery pack for my 20+ year old magcharger.

All I can say is WOW!

Thanks to everyone for steering me to these upgrades.

That light saved my life one time and it is nice to have it up and running better than ever.
    Last edited by mac66; 07-14-2006 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mac66
    Well, not really looking to impress anyone. Just looking to see what I can do optimize it's performance cheaply. Looks like the wa1160 bulb is a fairly cheap way and from what I read, one can have a longer lasting more powerful battery pack put together cheaper than the stock one. My old battery pack isn't holding much of a charge anymore and the OEM one is $30-40!.

Geez, the flashlight addicts here are worse than gun nuts when it comes tweating, modifying and accessorizing their stuff.
    It's addicting. Every mod you make (usually an improvement) just makes you want more. Eventually your stock MagCharger has only minimal original parts, but boy does it blow away the stock mag.

In subsequent upgrades I upgraded the bulb (to a WA1160), then the battery (to a 1/2D3500HPH5-BT replacement battery stick from http://www.batterieswholesale.com) now I've ordered the ceramic bi-pin slug because I am noticing some melting of the stock slug, and now I want a perfect beam, so the MOP is also on order, what's next, the sky's the limit. This is quickly becoming one of my favourite flashlights.
    If there is a 50% chance of rain you'll carry an umbrella. There is a 100% chance it will get dark tonight. - Author Unknown

I just received the wa1160 and I did buy the battery pack from batterywholesale. My Magcharge does what I want it to do and that is good enough for me.

A simple upgrade that makes a bright light even better!
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS