Lost my flashlight for 1/2 hour

dasanii19

Enlightened
Well Friday comes, time to go camping... I was waiting for the mail that had my A19+p90+p91, finally 3:00 hit and low and behold my package had arrived, I grabbed the box and headed out to the lake, we got to the spot and found out the only thing we forgot was firewood :rant: by that time the sun was setting, I grabbed my 6P, assembled A19+Kl3 head + 3XCR123A's. I used the KL3 head because of its longer run time. (Now keep in mind my flashlight is a lot longer now, as you know) I then ventured out into the woods for firewood. I came up on a bunch of small branches, made a few trips to the car and piled it all in. The sun has now become unseen getting darker by the minute, I still needed more firewood. I ran to another part of the forest, I was trying to find bulky logs this time. My flashlight was a great tool :) by the way , Until.......... I came up on a perfect dry stump partlysticking out of the ground, I needed to kick at it to get it out. I turned off my flashlight and stuck it in my pocket then began kicking at the stump over and over till it came up, I grabbed the stump, ran to the car, threw the log in and off I went. (totally dark out now) 10 sec's down the road I reach into my pocket for my flashlight, felt nothing then started panicking, grasping every pocket (cargo shorts) stopped the car flipped a beeeotch and hot tailed back to the spot I was just at, jumped out and ran into the forest trying to find the stump I was kicking, all I had for light was a Bic lighter. I was seriously flipping out at this point, I couldn't find the spot, (very dark out) I didn't know what to do I couldn't gather my thoughts at all, the lighter was burning the hell out of my finger. 10 minutes go by, I find the stump hole!! I quickly dive to my knees, (left hand had the lighter, right hand was the "feeler") I could not find the flashlight!!! I thought for sure it was gone!! Right when I was just about to give up, there it was, (total relief), I grabbed that thing as quickly as I could and ran back up to the car with a very tight grip on it with a smile on my face.

It wasn't so much of losing the flashlight that would have pissed me off, but mostly not being able to try out my new lamps that I have been waiting patiently for all week.. Or not having a decent flashlight the whole camping trip... But everything worked out great, I still love my 6P and have learned a few pointers........
::::::::The whole time while searching for the flashlight in the dark I was thinking, "damn those Glow in the Dark O-rings would come in very useful right now".. I guess to prevent this from happening again I need to get a holster and or a lanyard, keep more then one flashlight on me and get some Glow in the dark O rings...

Last edited:

roguesw

Enlightened
dasanii19, i have been in your exact situation before, and i know how it must feel, especially since it had just arrived the same day
carrot, well said, always have a backup to your light
i am mulling over edc carry with holster as i currently just carry my light inside my pocket
another thing to think about
good to hear you liked your 9p kl3 combo, excellent light

savumaki

Enlightened
I knew there was a reason I carry two lights(three if you count the Photon):candle:.

Out in the woods I always carry a lanyard light around my neck.

Karl

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the output and runtime on 3 cells?
I've heard that on two cells you get about 3hrs 30 min.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Glad you found your light! - I always try and carry a couple when out in the wilderness - but sometimes that just doesn't happen because of laziness, forgetfulness, etc. Gotta make a mental note - "don't forget the backup light....don't forget the backup light".....:)

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i hear ya... I forgot my EDC today for the first time in forever!!!

I still have my Arc-p on my keys and 2 Mag LED's/Nightcom in my car..

Guess i'm not to unenlightened LOL

dasanii19

Enlightened
I was very happy to find the light, if you guys would have seen how dirty and sweaty I was after the search you would laughed.

Ok so where do I get some glow in the dark O rings at? how do I know what sizes to get? what colors are best? ill need replacments for existing O rings as well as for my A19.. Can you help?

Lanyard- whats best?

comfortable holster, practical? will I need two holsters? one to fit a standard 6p and one to fit a 6p with a A19 extension? or is there a "fit all" holster that will work?

Thanks for the replies, "live and learn" :laughing: right??

Illum

Flashaholic
Manzerick said:
i hear ya... I forgot my EDC today for the first time in forever!!!

I still have my Arc-p on my keys and 2 Mag LED's/Nightcom in my car..

Guess i'm not to unenlightened LOL

I forget my EDC dangeriously frequently now....somehow I dream about putting the light from my table into my pocket, when I wake up and walk out, I begin panicking "where's my EDC?"

"Two is one and one is none"
=Unauthorized quotation from a honorable CPFer that I did not send for a permission to use his quote

I bring three lights now...heavier pocket the G2, XO [old], and the XO3

Illum

Flashaholic
GregWormald said:
Jeeze mate, half and hour!! Better get some counselling--that Post Traumatic Stress Disorder can really creep up on you.:p

Well...being in the woods with no flashlight somewhere up near bear country...I think he would have more than Post Traumatic Stress Disorder to worry about :sssh::ohgeez:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez! Only one light in the pitch black and bear infested woods. And I'll bet there were creepy crawlies as well!!

Seriously, I have been very happy with the Surefire lanyards, they seem very well constructed and can be used in a variety of carry methods. My ARC-P is on one around my neck as we speak, it's daytime, it's not in the woods, and I'm wearing sunglasses! I can't see my screen very well. Maybe I'll take the 'glasses off...

I don't think I'd venture out in the wilds without three or four lights - Erm, like KL3/C2 combo, ARC LS Cyan (Great for illuminating green stuff and yelling 'Zap' as you do it!), ARC-P, and something else, whatever takes the zeitgeist!

Be lucky...

dasanii19

Enlightened
Yep, I reccon there are bears in them woods :ohgeez: I would have had my 45acp on my side but Califonia has a law against High Capacity magazines, I live in Nevada where they are legal so all I have are High cap mags..

I was lucky to find the light, I was running all over the place, it could have dropped anywhere. I just had an inkliing that while I was kicking the stump thats when it could have worked its way out of my pocket. I know my story wasnt some crazy off the wall story but I thought a lot of you guys would relate to the feeling...

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
Well...being in the woods with no flashlight somewhere up near bear country...I think he would have more than Post Traumatic Stress Disorder to worry about :sssh::ohgeez:

No kidding. He could've come back and found the head of the flashlight protruding out from underneath a sleeping bear. Then find himself approaching the bear and rolling up his sleeves to go do battle all the while reassuring himself by saying, 'It's a Surefire; it's worth it.' :lolsign:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, stories like this give me the willies (reaches down to check light pocket). It's one of the reasons I try to tether my lights to me. I'd be really bent if I lost one of the good ones.

-LT