Electric Supercar

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if this is old news or new news, but I got the link from the radio.
Download the video to see an electric vehicle ("X1") annihilate a Ferrari and a Porche in, I believe, a 1/4 mile race. 0-60 in 3 seconds, top speed of 112 MPH (limited). 112 MPH might not sound like much, but this is a single speed vehicle--no clutch, no shifting!

http://www.wrightspeed.com/

pokkuhlag

Enlightened
It's old news and really nothing special, from the pics it looks likes he only fitted an powerful electric engine with DD and batteries on the car. Cause the car itself is an ariel atom. With a rear engine and rear wheel drive. Ariel atom 2 has 300 bhp (super charged honda civic type-r engine) weighs less than 500 kg and it already has annihilated most super cars in 0-100-0 mph tests.

http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell's excellent adventure

x1_24.jpg

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a number of super-fast hombrew electric cars floating around... if you Google a few search phrases they'll turn up. (Google "Cafe Electric," this is a company that makes high performance electrical management gear used on a lot of the cars.)

Three years ago at the L.A. Auto Show there was a single-seat electric car, enclosed with a roof and doors; driver's seat was on a bank of lead acid batteries and it was purported to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph within 4.0 seconds. It was street legal in California but cost in the $60s K.

I do think that "roadster" you posted originally is way cool though. If I were Bill Gates I'd have a fleet of those things to loan to friends.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see a race between the electric atom and the supercharged atom.

I like hybrid/electric cars but I bet the supercharged atom would win

pokkuhlag

Enlightened
Nice link Icebreak, I wish they mentioned it's effective range. Mileage doesn't mean much if you don't know the tank size. Also the mpgge is a bit fake to directly compare them with, cause you lose the efficiency of burning fuel to make electricity. Unless you use electricity from nuke plants or create it by wind/water/solar power.

markdi, the supercharged atom will be faster on the 0-100-0 test, just because the electric is 400 pound heavier. (1500 electric vs 1100 supercharged )