8 LED lamp, phone line powered at fifthunit..;-)

Newuser01

Enlightened
Link:
Okay I stole this from another deal site: Credits to original poster (as far as I know.) "[font=Verdana, Arial]kins7805"

[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]KESVIK
Phone Line Powered led Lamp
$4.50 / pieces FREE SHIPPING

8 white led lights
Powered solely by phone line - no battery is required
Great to be used as a night light
Designed by: JXD

$4.50

Check it out? I know I want 1......Wondering how many of these can be powered in a household! :sold:

newbie :naughty::naughty:

PS. I did searched the site and could not find any other posts for this. If there are please mod, lock it tight and let this die.
[/font]http://contents.fifthunit.com/html/products.5th/sku.777.html

coldsolderjoint

Enlightened
not a bad gadget.. id be interested to see what the phone company thinks.

Id imagine if you draw too much current, the CO would shut off power to you because the switch senses a short.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
'We're sorry. The light you're trying to illuminate is currently unavailable. Please, check your bulb and try again. This is a recording.'
crackup.gif

damon

Newly Enlightened
just got an idea
wont it b nice if some 1 here come up,
with an adapter for fenix using phone line.

cy

Flashaholic
started to order 4 units, but wanted me to input my Paypal password on their site, not paypal site.

that's a no go...

red_robby

Enlightened
that does look like a great idea, i wish it was another site selling them.

Randy Shackleford said:
I wonder does the output change when your telephone rings. :shrug:

my guess would be yes, since the voltage goes up when the phone rings.

wquiles

Flashaholic
coldsolderjoint said:
not a bad gadget.. id be interested to see what the phone company thinks.

Id imagine if you draw too much current, the CO would shut off power to you because the switch senses a short.
I am kind of rusty, but I worked for AT&T back in the 80's designing analog phones, like the Trimline.

From what I recall, the 48-50DC voltage (open loop) would drop down based on load, and phones needed to be designed to work from as little as 20mA (long loop, lots of cable attenuation) to up to 100-110mA on a very short loop.

The CO company does sense the current draw (which signals a phone going off-hook), so I really wonder how this gadget works if you want to use your phone line to actually make phone calls - there is something a little bit fishy here :thumbsdow

Basically to me it looks like for this to work at all you would have to limit current dray to no more than 100mA (20mA would be better for long loops) and you basically put your phone off-hook the whole time this light is "ON", so potentially, on long loops, you might not have enough current for some analog handsets to work. This would be a safety problem since the analog phone is supposed to work at all times even if power is out due to the CO's batteries. Something is not right here and I wonder if these guys though about all of these when they designed their phone line powered light :ohgeez:

Will

Last edited:

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
There is a review on the site describing functionality. From "Staff"

On 7/2/2006, Staff wrote:
When we first got our hands on this product, we didn't believe that someone would come up with an idea of powering lamps by phone line. Well, the fun is that you don't pay for the power (or batteries) used, and since usually when electricity is out phone lines still work, it will light the dark during those emergencies. In my opinion, since it costs nothing to power and its LED bulbs lasts forever, its a great night lamp for any room. Better yet, when your phone rings, the lamp flashs giving you some extra visual feedbacks. When the phone line is in use, however, the light automatically switches itself off, possibly to prevent affecting voice quality of the line.
One side note: in some occasions the lamp (switched on) seems to interfere with the caller ID feature. We are unsure of whether this applies to all phones or not.

wquiles

Flashaholic
It is good that the light powers-itself-off when the line is in use. Good to know, but still does not give me a warm, fuzzy feeling ;)

Regarding this:
"One side note: in some occasions the lamp (switched on) seems to interfere with the caller ID feature. We are unsure of whether this applies to all phones or not."

Of course, since the line is loaded with an artificial load and since the CID information tones only come between the first and second ring, their circuit might be delayed enough to turn off (and allowing the analog line to work normally), which would affect the ability of the phone from correctly picking the frequency tones from the CID signal. I am not surpriced at all about the CID problem. As I said on my post above, something fishy is going on as this use is not what the CO equipment was designed for and this product "might" negatively affect your life-line service. Life-line is too precious to mess with in my oppinion - I would not like to risk my phone working on a real emergency :rant:

Will

HCaul

Newly Enlightened
There are two wires from the central office to your house, usually called "tip" and "ring". When red and green wires are used, ring is usually red and tip is usually green. Ring is negative while tip is positive and near ground potential. The nominal on-hook ring-tip voltage of a standard POTS phone line is 48VDC. The line is current limited at the central office to 20-50mA (23mA is the "standard"). (When you go off-hook by placing a load on the line, the current limiting reduces the voltage to 6-10VDC or so). So this is enough to power a few LEDS, but if you draw too much current, it will cause your central office to think you've taken your phone off the hook, and callers will get a busy signal.

Ringing signalling is 90VAC at 20 Hz, which can fry circuits that aren't expecting it.

Anyway, this is essentially a terrible idea, since to get enough current for a bright LED you risk busying out your phone line. But if you really want to try it, here's some trivia: Depending on the how your central office is wired, you can often draw about twice as much current from ring to ground as from ring to tip (40-80mA vs. 20-40mA).

HCaul

Newuser01

Enlightened
Okay..... General aggrement is this!!

If you are a current or former telco tech or related, dont get this...!

Anyone else.......commence buying and post your opins here.....

For 4.50 shipped is worth it just to get it and mod it or just have it as a collection..... dont you think?

Newbie!!:sold:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Methinks it will intermittently interfere with one's ability to make or receive calls, as many scenarios will wind up with the central office thinking that yoiur phone is off-hook when there's a steady current draw of slightly more than 20ma. YMMV depending on loop length as stated previously.

aceo07

Enlightened
My phone line is the best and fastest way to contact police/emergency people when I need it. It's supposed to work in almost all circumstances, except line getting disconnected.

If I called from my phone land line, the police knew exactly where I am even if I don't say it. If i called from my cellular phone, they have no clue where I am.

Just for those 2 reason, reliability and locator, I wouldn't mess with my phone line unless there was 100% safe and didn't infere with normal phone usage.