Flashaholic Horror movie

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw a commercial for a new movie coming out on August 4th called The Descent.

"a caving expedition goes horribly wrong, as the explorers become trapped and ultimately pursued by a strange breed of predators."

Lots of headlamps and flashlights and darkness :)

Looks like it was released in the UK last year.

Here's a link to some reviews http://imdb.com/title/tt0435625/

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Descent is a fantastic movie. So good that when I looked for my copy of the DVD (it's already released in the UK) and I couldn't find it, I went and purchased another copy. As it happens I'd lent it to a mate and he returned it the other day... Anyway...

The Descent is about a group of attractive women who go on a caving trip somewhere in the middle of nowhere (USA). It's a horror movie - very dark and claustrophobic.

There aren't any really cool flashlights in it that I recall but that does not matter.

The Cave may be bigger budget but The Descent is a significantly better movie (imho)

Edit: If you are tempted to watch this movie (and I suggest you do) I urge you NOT to read any more about it - it's better that you know it's a horror movie and find out the rest as it happens on screen.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Descent is about a group of attractive women

Did I forget to mention that I'm in this movie.........
lolsign.gif

rantanplan

Newly Enlightened
Size15's said:
The Cave may be bigger budget but The Descent is a significantly better movie (imho)

That´s my opinion too ...

"The Cave" isn´t bad, but you can recognize clearly the usual "Hollywood style". Big budget, therefore a bit exaggerated and unrealistic. One minute they´re walking through ice, next second they are tumbling across lava, big monsters, etc.

"The Descent" is different, far more thrilling because it sets a realistic picture. It doesn´t use big effects and has still some really scaring scenes. Definitely worth watching ... alone in a dark room :D

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Rating on "The Descent"? PG, PG13, etc.?

Al what would it take to get you to do a group buy for the DVD?:)

Bill

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the preview for the Descent. The style might be "more realistic," but my first thought was that it was a bit of a gimmick casting exclusively attractive women for this caving expedition ;). Not that I mind the eye-candy, and not that I think attractive women couldn't handle caving... it just seemed a little... contrived.

That aside, I don't know much about the flick. There is one flashaholic-relevant event in the preview though: One of the girls says something like "the batteries in all of our lights WILL run out. :)" Hope they brought some spares- I would have wanted an HDS EDC if I was down there, but from the preview it looked like they only had incans.

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
One of the girls says something like "the batteries in all of our lights WILL run out

yeah I saw that trailer on tv, first thing I thought was of all the CPF'ers that were gonna hear that line and snicker to themselves. I was at work and actually laughed/snorted out loud:grin2:

silly girls, need to spend more time online researching lights for caving, probably using older generation lights their stupid hunky biyfriends bought for them.....

Size15's

Flashaholic
Knight Lights said:
Rating on "The Descent"? PG, PG13, etc.?

Al what would it take to get you to do a group buy for the DVD?:)

Bill

It's rated Certificate 18 by the BBFC and I believe "R" in the States.

Most of the main internet shops now sell Region 1 DVD's over here so I guess you may be able to purchase a Region 2 DVD but you have to a multiregion DVD player...

Santelmo

Enlightened
If you're a serious horror film buff; go watch it!!!

The Cave is OK but it feels more sci-fi, whereas The Descent is more George Romeroesque (e.g. - "what if the day would come when the world would be invaded by man-eating zombies? . . ")

It's INTENSE and the Brit horror genre has come onto it's own IMHO (I believe the same team was behind the soldiers-and-werewolves flick whose title I can't remember sometime back. . .)

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
Like others have said, the descent is a great horror movie. Highly recommended. The Cave is not even in the same league :)

Btw. there are two versions of this movie, the original and the "americanized" version (only difference is the ending). The original is the one to watch, as the other one just cuts away the last few minutes, making the ending tacky and stupid :thumbsdow

amlim

Enlightened
looks like this is one of the rare movies that was released in singapore before usa. interesting:)

amlim

Enlightened
Size15's said:
The Descent is a fantastic movie. So good that when I looked for my copy of the DVD (it's already released in the UK) and I couldn't find it, I went and purchased another copy. As it happens I'd lent it to a mate and he returned it the other day... Anyway...

The Descent is about a group of attractive women who go on a caving trip somewhere in the middle of nowhere (USA). It's a horror movie - very dark and claustrophobic.

There aren't any really cool flashlights in it that I recall but that does not matter.

Edit: If you are tempted to watch this movie (and I suggest you do) I urge you NOT to read any more about it - it's better that you know it's a horror movie and find out the rest as it happens on screen.

i think the ending was a bit of a shocker. what do you think? pm me if you would like to keep the "spoiler" a secret. :)

cobra-ak

Newly Enlightened
:devil: Hot babes, low batteries, dimming LED flashlights, dark caves, bad guys, yeah I love those "B" movies.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pitch Black, The Cave, etc etc many moremovies like this one. Maybe this one is worth it...

Santelmo

Enlightened
Isak Hawk said:
. . . Btw. there are two versions of this movie, the original and the "americanized" version (only difference is the ending). The original is the one to watch, as the other one just cuts away the last few minutes, making the ending tacky and stupid :thumbsdow

LOL, my sentiments exactly! I was going thru these scenes and in my head I kept saying "What the?!. . . So which one is it exactly?!!!"

Size15's

Flashaholic
Mags said:
Pitch Black, The Cave, etc etc many moremovies like this one. Maybe this one is worth it...

Not really. Pitch Black is a Sci-Fi action movie and The Cave isn't a horror movie.

The Descent is a horror movie.

Al