best 2 d flashlight

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
absolutely positively must contain only two D cell batteries inside. are there any models other than the M^g that are worth looking at? I want light, but decent quality. flashlightreviews only reviews the everready, and i just had one fall apart on me in the last ten minutes (it wasnt mine, but a friends that i was trying to "fix":awman: ) I'm thinking ten to twenty dollars. LED would be nice, but not required at all. thanks for any input.

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's Brinkmann and Dorcys and Craftsmans.

Then you have the Vortex Vision AF2D08XCD. Similar length but rechargeable is the DR2 and DR1.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorite setups I've found is running one of the $10 PR based SMJLEDs in the 2D Rayovac Industrial lights, $5 at Walmart. They have a RYG warning LED system to let you know the batteries are getting low. The beam is a good center spot for moderate throw and good usable side spill. And since the bulb mount is in the body and not the head, you can remove the reflector and use it in candle mode to light up the entire room. I haven't put the light through any serious abuse yet, so I can't attest to it's durability. But the build quality seems pretty good for a $5 light.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like those 2 D ray o vac industrials for an inexpensive 2 D light.

You didn't say if they had to be 2 "conventional" D cells or not. If not, consider using the Li ones from HDS systems. You will have to change to a 4 or 5 cell bulb, but what a difference it can make.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm a big Rayovac Industrial fan too. Biggest problem I ever had with the design is on a couple lights the threads got loose. Some plumbers teflon tape cured 'em and I have never tossed one.

It must be mentioned. The earlier USA made lights use a spring bulb holder. It allows for tweaking the bulb to perfect centering. The newest lights have a hard plastic bulb holder. Not so nice.

However with LEDs and frosted bulbs it isn't SUCH an issue.

Of course in my "new" Industrial 3D there is a 4 cell frosted Krypton and 6 AA......

thunderlight

Enlightened
The American made Industrial Rayovac is still available in the form of an orange safety edition IN2-MS. I was able to get one from an Ace Hardware store. The safety certifications are nullified if you replace the standard [vacuum] PR bulb with a Halogen, Krypton, or Xenon bulb. However, if this is not important, you can replace the bulb.

Note that the bulb replacement procedure is slightly different. The bulb is held by a spring against the glass portion of the bulb. To replace the bulb, you push the lens in and away from the bezel.

The same faceted lens is used in this model. There is a thread about this model as used in airline cabins. This thread includes a picture of this model.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Love the Industrial Ray-O-Vac 2D flashlights,

when used with the SMJLED PR-bulbs.

Very comfortable, ergonomic grip.

Makes a D-cell MagLite feel like holding a Fence Post.
smile.gif

Rugged, too. Manufacturer states they've been

drop-tested from a height of 7 feet.

Got mine from Wal-Mart a month ago. $4.96

Went there this evening, and they are all gone.

awman.gif

BTW, i've found you can get a nice, soft "candle-flood"

if you place the frosted-white plastic cap from an aerosol

can of Sure deodorant onto the bezel. Even stuff a little

BubbleWrap inside the cap, for additional softening.

Edit: White plastic cap from "Liquid Tide" bottle fits it GREAT ! Won't fall off.
EndEdit

Oh, and the Bright-Star traffic cone attachments fit perfectly !

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Burgess said:
Love the Industrial Ray-O-Vac 2D flashlights,

when used with the SMJLED PR-bulbs.

Very comfortable, ergonomic grip.

Makes a D-cell MagLite feel like holding a Fence Post. :)

I agree.
I have 2 or 3 of them running around with the Red/Yellow/Green LED battery life indicator on the head. If they could ever figure out a way to use a Lux I without any heat issues, I'd own several more.

Maybe we should all give Ray-o-Vac an email nudge. :)

Got mine from Wal-Mart a month ago. $4.96

Went there this evening, and they are all gone.

Check back in maybe a week or so. Mine runs out every now and then too but they always get more in stock.

zulu45

Enlightened
I wonder if a Streamlight TwinTask would be a contener in this category.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the options! skimming and searching gave me several great ideas...

I guess I could explain why i need it (your ideas are still good and applicable, i just want to offer some background)

I'm a copilot for some random airline. . . Theres a federal rule saying that we need to carry a flashlight, and yet another rule which is sometimes applicable that apparently says we need a "D cell or equivalent" flashlight.
The Captain I'm flying with this month doesnt consider my A2, streamlight 4aa luxeon, or 6P to be "equivalent" to a D cell. I can't blame him for going with the conventional mindset towards flashlights, and the contention that disagreeing would cause really isnt worth the satisfaction of "showing him who's right". In our industry, the captain is liable for the aircraft and crew, and if he doesnt think that my A2 is legal than its my job to get something which he believes is. Perhaps at some later time he'll notice that I tend to use my A2 far more than the D flashlight, and explore the topic further. Until then, I have a great professional relationship with him which i do not want to jeopardize by argueing over some esoteric point of the law.
He said "I read a story about the FAA fining someone for not having a D cell light, and the ruling was that there was no 'equivalent' to a D cell flashlight." whether the story is true doesnt matter. he stated it as fact and if i try to prove it wrong at this point it will only breed animosity. :rant: :rant: rant over.

So, anyhoo, I need something which is powered by big, klunky, weak, inefficient D cells :mad: and really specs dont matter too much because i dont plan on using it too much (A2 is still EDC'd) but I'd like to have something nice or unique just for the collection, ya know?

I was thinking of getting a cinderella or elephant shaped flashlight (he laughed at that idea, and I think he'd be cool with it, until the chief pilot found out:aaa: )

so really I'm looking for small and light (the whole reason I found the flashaholic cult in the first place; I got sick of lugging around a 4D mag :whistle: [I knew i liked 'bright' even though i was clueless as to what 'bright' is])
I want sturdy, but not overbuilt. And I'm uber poor at the moment so it has to be a justifiable purchase in and of itself.

I really like the BL-1R suggestion, and the rayovac industrial sounds like a great cheap fix. I REALLY like HarryNs suggestion for the rechargeables... I can show him (or the FAA If I run across an inspector with a similar mindset) the D sized cells and they'll be happy. and I'll have my lumens so I'll be happy.

I guess the alternative is to get a Mag 2D (so nobody questions what powers it) and stuff it with ROP guts or the like. . . Mag85. . . but then I run the risk of setting an airplane on fire and ruining my career. nah, best not travel with the cool toys ;-)

I appreciate all your replies. Have a happy Fourth!

CLHC

Flashaholic
There's the MagLED that's currently available at Target, Wal*Mart and Fry's Electronics too!

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your best bet is either the Elektrolumens listed above, or a 2D MagLED from Walmart ($33) . You could also buy a regular 2D mag for $16 and drop a SMJLED PR in there and it would cost you $11 less than a MagLED and have much better runtime as well.

If weight is a concern I would buy a Rayovac Industrial and put an SMJLED in there. It is very light compared to a Mag and is pretty reliable as well.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob187 said:
Elektrolumens BL-1R. On sale at $19.99.

Everything you could need in a 2D light.

I've got one and it is a great stand-by light.
The Blaster-1R is the nicest 2D light I have ever come across and it is a steal at $19.99.
I've yet to see a photo that does this light justice; it has the great grippy texture to it.
It is quite a bit smaller than a Mag 2D and is brighter than a Mag and will run much longer than an incan Mag.
:thumbsup::thumbsup: for this ElektroLumens creation,
Pat

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this subject was touched upon a couple of years ago in a thread about the flashlights in the pax cabins.

Seems that the $5 "Industrial" light is kind of popular in fulfilling this requirement. Though I'd be inclined to agree with CHC that the Mag LED would be a good choice. The ROP or Mag85 might be a bit of an overkill (and you wouldn't be using D batteries)

Sgaterboy said:
I guess I could explain why i need it (your ideas are still good and applicable, i just want to offer some background)

I'm a copilot for some random airline. . . Theres a federal rule saying that we need to carry a flashlight,