Rayovac headlamp mod question/help needed

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of those Ray-O-Vac headlamps (1 white LED, 2 red LED's, lousy, dim, incandescent bulb) and want to mod it. I've read on here about putting in a LS in place of the incandescent but I am a newbie modder so I am unsure about how to do this. Also, I am suspecting that not only are the red LED's resistored down, but the white as well since it's the dimmest single white LED I own.

Is it possible to remove the resistance from all the LED's? If not, what about just on the white? And, if so, HOW?
confused.gif

Also, does someone have newbie instructions or a process for adding a LS to this light?

If I get in over my head, can I send it to anyone to have them mod it for me?
rolleyes.gif

Thanks!
tongue.gif

Plinko

Newly Enlightened
The red's are running off resistors, since they're only 3volt LED's, and the battery supply is 4.5v. I left the resistor in mine, so as not to pop it. *edit* The white has a different value resistor. I actually like the brightness of the white LED and left it as it is, primarily for reading in my tent at night. One of the red LED's was replaced with a turquoise, and the resistor was bypassed. The unresisted turq seems as bright as the resisted red, but when the batteries get REALLY low, the turq goes out and the red keeps shining for a long time more. I'm getting redundant here, as most of this was mentioned on the other thread.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard that there's 2 versions of this light, and I'm wondering if there aren't more. One person said a few weeks ago it had some sort of electronic circuitry. Mine has only mechanical switching and resistors. It also certainly has a resistor for each LED, including the white one.

I wouldn't take it out entirely, though. I did this with a BD Moonlight headlamp, and had one of the LEDs turn puke greenish over time. I would leave an ohm or so in there.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ChrisM:
...Is it possible to remove the resistance from all the LED's? If not, what about just on the white? And, if so, HOW?
confused.gif

Also, does someone have newbie instructions or a process for adding a LS to this light?

If I get in over my head, can I send it to anyone to have them mod it for me?
rolleyes.gif

Thanks!
tongue.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just take the 3 screws out that are behind the reflector, then remove the plate, and take the circuit board off. Using a soldering iron, you will need to remove the old resistor and put a new one in. You can't get less than a 10 ohm resistor at Radio Shack, so try here for 1/4 watt resistors. I suspect the white LED it comes with might not be very good, so that may be the bigger problem. I long ago ripped it out, but I vaguely recall the I didn't like the quality of color.

For the LS, there's apparently 2 ways to do it. I did it by using the light's own reflector. Get a regular star version of an LS in high dome (the one with the small hexagonal heatsink). I don't have any white HDs, so I can't help you with locating that. Just run the 2 wires through the hole where the (I agree, crappy) incandescent bulb used to be, and solder them in (make sure the polarity is correct). Then cut a hole in the reflector so it's large enough to fit over the LS emitter. Screw it all back together and it should work.

Let me know if you run into trouble.
cool.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have some 1/4 watt resistors. How do I tell which (there are 2 or 3, can't remember exactly and don't have the light with me to check) resistors are for the reds and which are for the white?

Where's a good place to get a high dome LS? I'd want one with as little 'pea green' color as possible (don't we all!!
smile.gif
). This would be my first LS mod.......

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
To see which resistor is for the LED's all you have to do is simply follow the copper traces. The non-yellow looking ones are the red LED's, so follow the copper trace from that LED to the resistor. That will show you which resistor is for each LED. Also, they are using 1/8 watt or so resistors, so your 1/4 watt MAY be too big, I'm not sure. It looks like they will fit, but they may push the PCB too far away from the black plastic holder thing. Try one and see. If that doesn't work, put the old one back. I'd suggest trying the white one first because if you screw up you can always make THAT one direct drive (do NOT try that with the reds) by taking out the resistor and putting a copper strand in it's place. The stock resistors are rather hard to solder BACK into place because the leads are SO short.

Spud

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, these guys are right about taking the resistance away from the white LED. I forgot about the Moonlight having LEDs in parallel, but with just one, it should be no problem. You may get a little power wasted due to excess heat, though. The forward voltages of white LEDs can vary quite a bit.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right on. Thanks Tater and Lux. I'm eager to try this out to see if it helps that white LED out so it isn't so pitiful in its output.

I'm also thinking about replacing the reds with either orange or even yellow or another color. I just don't know how good another color like blue or turquoise will do resistored down...

Now, where's a good place to buy the high dome LS LED? Anyone have just one for sale??

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I'm also thinking about replacing the reds with either orange or even yellow or another color. I just don't know how good another color like blue or turquoise will do resistored down...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Stay away from yellow. It's a nice color, but SO dim. I have a photon II in yellow, and it's not worth having. I replaced the LED with an orange one which is pretty good (although quite narrow), but green or turquoise will be much brighter still. If you have the skill to change the LEDs, you can certainly change the resistors too.
smile.gif

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I thought that about the yellow as well. Especially since the ones I have are something like a 30 deg. beam angle. Too wide for me.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,

Someone else said they did this mod using a collimator, but I think you need to remove some plastic for that. If you want to use the reflector that's already in there, you need an LS with either a high dome or a side emitter.

Try future active. I would call them on the phone to see if they have them, since their website only lists part numbers with no descriptions. I'm not aware of any other place that would have them.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the links I provided for LS LED's are not the right kind? Would either one of them work if I removed the reflector in that headlamp?

And, since I'm unsure, what exactly is a collimator?
smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can remove the reflector, but I'm not sure if there's enough space for one with the collimator on it (the lens on the LED you see in the pictures). You would also have to file down the heatsink so it will fit.

BTW, calling Future doesn't help unless you have the part number. I just got off the phone with them, and they won't give you this information. I've always ordered from Mark Hannah Surplus, but he doesn't have some of the varieties I'm now looking for.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright. Thanks for the info.
So, where can I buy a LS that will fit? Anyone else have a source with links/photos?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris,

Go here for the 1W white side emitter. I haven't used a side emitter in that lamps reflector yet, so try it at your own risk.

added: I just ordered one myself, along with a cyan to try in that headlamp. You can wait a few days for me to report my results, or you can try it yourself. It's your choice, but the side emitters are supposed to work best with reflectors, since they're designed for that.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux-
I think I'll be waiting for you on this one.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It looks like you'll be waiting a while:

Hi Neil,

Your parts are both unfortunately on backorder:

* LXHL-FE1C: 8-10 weeks
* LXHL-FW1C: approx Nov 21

Please let me know what you'd like to do by monday Oct 21st or your order
will be deleted from our system.

Thankyou,

Melanie Amanda Scott
Future Electronics
Internet Sales
Tel: 1-800-477-6668 or 694-7710 ext:2-4359
Fax: 514-457-2146
[email protected]

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

I have amber and green side emitting stars on the way. They're only $8.25 each for some reason. I'll post again here when I try them out.

Also, my current thinking is that I could put an amber in an Aurora. The way the side emitter works, it leads me to believe you could use it with a short reflector. We shall see.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
alright.
Looks like we'll be waiting with baited breath for you to illuminate the way for us.

Thanks!