What does PR mean? As in bulbs......

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are asking what the actual letters stand for, I have no idea. But if you want to know what it means: it is the type of flashlight bulb that has smoothe sides and the lip at the top of the metal part. Here is a picture of an adapter that uses a PR base:
http://www.led-replacement.com/ba-1.html

rwolff

Enlightened
I've never seen a bulb with an "RG" part number.

I'd always thought that "PR" bulbs were designed for use with a (P)arabolic (R)eflector - probably a standardized distance from the flange to the filament, so that the reflector designer could put the filament at the focal point of the reflector (or at least a known distance from the focal point).

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
rwolff is on the right track. This question has come up before on CPF and my research came up with PR=Prefocused Reflector. A PR bulb has no provision for height or centering adjustment.

A fixed azimuth and elevation within a fixed reflector gives optimum focus. We all know thew reality of this is quite different. For most consumers, beam focus, beam artifacts and beam quality are a total non issue. So the PR lamp works ok in most lights most of the time.

Mark

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're a runner it's personal record... So for a bulb, maybe it's the bulb's best output for the day! :laughing:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It stand for Pre-focused bulb invented in 1937. Yes, these types of bulbs are considered 'PRe-focused'.

Jeff

Illum

Flashaholic
I have a lousy knack for guessing...
but my first guess was "photochemical reaction" but that would include all lamps...

rwolff

Enlightened
xpitxbullx said:
It stand for Pre-focused bulb invented in 1937. Yes, these types of bulbs are considered 'PRe-focused'.

Jeff

I thought "prefocused" refered to the (screw-in) penlight bulbs with a lens built into the bulb envelope, to concentrate the light on a small area without using a reflector (too large in diameter).

Burgess

Flashaholic
Believe those were refered to as

"Lens End" bulbs.

These were the #122 and #222 screw-base bulbs

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Not to hijack this thread, but this has got me thinking about other bulb designations also. I've always wondered why those incandescent bulbs intended for signs are called Mazda bulbs. The term seems to describe an edison based bulb with a smoothly slanted neck.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thank you, Empath. Very interesting! Apparently they still use the Mazda name in reference to the lamps used in some signage applications as I still see that name used in catalogs. And I have a couple of those bulbs laying around somewehere with the Mazda name stamped next to the G-E on the top.

Now returning you to your regularly scheduled program on PR bulbs...