Looking for a new light

entendu

Newly Enlightened
Hello CPF members
Having tried just about all of my lights during walks at night I come to the conclusion that my next light needs to cost less than $100 have slightly less throw than a Stream light poly 4AA or my Nuawi X 3 but more than the Fenix L1T or Dorcy . The problem is none of these lights compare with the flood I get with my Coast 3 AAA V2 lenser. The flood/beamwidth is wider and much and brighter than anything else I have (some of my other lights have more spill but not as bright). The Coast has slightly less throw than the Nuawi X-3 and significantly brighter more corona/spillbeam than the Taskforce 2 C cell. It is great out to about 30 to 50 feet and I find I really don't need much more than that. By great I mean I get a large nearly uniform bright spot 20 feet in diameter at that distance versus the 5 feet or so I get with my other lights. For longer throw If I need it I'll use my Streamlight or Nuawi. On the downside, The Coast uses wimpy AAA's and can only get about an hour of useful light with NiMH. Would like to get 2 or more hours before 50% point is reached) . As for size I don't want anything larger than my Task Force 2 C cell light. I 've been looking at Flashlight review site (great site) but not really sure from the beam descriptions provided if any have the characteristics of the coast v2 . Any ideas ?.

Heading to the Future at Light Speed

carrot

Flashaholic
Bonsoir, entendu.

I recommend considering the Inova T2 or T3, but they use 123 cells. T2 gets something like 5 hours to 50% and the T3 gets around 2.5 hours to 50%. You can get 123 cells from Amondotech.com or BatteryStation.com for $1 each, though.

entendu

Newly Enlightened
Bonsoir Carrot, and thank you :)

I have considered the Inova T 3 as it has great runtime and 123 lithiums are ok as well but its not clear to me if the beam width is broad enough. From the Flashlight review it looks like it throws well but has a fairly tight beam. Am I wrong about that? Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks Long John :)
Interesting light but yikes only 20 minutes on high , but what a high it is . Does this light have a broad beam . It says 10 degree beam. Think I need more. :huh:

carrot

Flashaholic
Bienvenue à CPF, entendu.

I think that the T2 is less bright than the T3, but also has a larger spill. The T3 will probably throw the amount you are looking for, however.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a close look at electrolumens ,light,I did a review here on CPF review section.It has a beam like the coast,(I have the coast v2 ,same as yours but used a cr123.same beam pattern)My little friend beam is like the coast but 10x brighter! It is a 2 stage switch,low ran for 4 hours and high gives about 25 min.It used 4 NIMH rechargables.I think electrolumens is still selling it for $110. It is one of the whitest lights I have seen.Low is great to walk the dog with and if you want to see further a quick click and it will light everything.

Heres the link with photos.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=122623

Last edited:

dim

Enlightened
With its 1000 Lux spot, diamond shaped secondary spot and surprisingly bright spill, at about 50 Lumens on freshly charged NiMH batts or new alkalines, I think that the Gerber LX3.0 is an excellent flashlight for evening strolls.

The ringy spill of the Inova XO3/T3 provides a little more spill than is made out by some on CPF but it's still not what I would consider a navigation flashlight. At about the same overall brightness as the Gerber LX3, the XO3/T3, at a reviewed 2000 Lux, is all spot. It's fairly tight and quite sharp on the eyes at close range, but at the mid distances that it was designed to throw, the spot from the XO3/T3 is large and bright.

dim

entendu

Newly Enlightened
Paul6ppca - 'My little friend' looks great especially the 4 hour run time and if you need the blast you got it. :drool:After reading your review I'm rethinking my options.. lets see more than $100 vs longer run time hmmmm. :thinking:

:sssh:Better not ask the wife for help on this one. I know what she'll say :rolleyes:

The Gerber ? - need to see this beam will check review sites for more info.

Dim - 'Navigation flashlight' -what a great descriptive term maybe that's what I am really looking for after all .

Thanks All

entendu

Newly Enlightened
Been searching the flashlight review site and believe the Nuwai TM 301X-5 will fit the bill.:) Not as bright as the MLF but not as expensive. :) The only other light that seemed promising is the Aitec collimator 3 C cell but its to large :thumbsdow

Have one other, the Nuawi X-3 and like it a lot. I think the only thing the 301X-5 does not have is a dimmer or lower level but I can live with out it. Now if it only ran on AA NiMH , oh well can't have it all.

Anyone else familiar with the Nuwai TM 301X-5 and have any thoughts ?

CLHC

Flashaholic
How about the Coast LED Lenser Digi-Tac I or CLL Digi-Tac II? They're pretty EDC'able since they fit onto one's palm easily. The packaging claims the LED is a Luxeon. Other than that, I don't know enough about this torcher.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought HDS 42 on high was about 20 min. Low runs forever.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HDS EDC 42 will run at least 35 minutes on high, but comes on at 10 lumen primary wich will run for 8+ hours and gives a good spot and spill for walking in the dark. Might not be enough to add a lot to streetlights at a distance, but when I walk I know I'm only using my lights to illuminate the area not lit by streetlights and when I used my HDS (I used to have a B42), I kept it on meduim (2 Lumens, 35+ hours run time) most of the time and just pressed the button for 42 lumens when I needed it - just a few minutes per walk.
I also used my T3 and it does have more spill than most people give it credit for, though the spill is ringy. It has a tighter spot than the T1 and T2, but then throws much further of course. I find it fine for navigation, though I prefer less light for just walking most of the time since I point my lights 2m in front of me 99% of the time.
The TM 301-5 should do OK, but the TM 301-3 has more throw and a low level for more run time. The low is probable lower than you want, but it puts out a good spot, wide corona, and spill like a Q3. I find it a very useable light. It was one of my first lights after finding CPF and I used it all the time until I got a big collection going. Still use it too.
Other lights I'd recommend:
CPF VB-16 from Wit's End (see his sales thread in B/S/T forum) $65 2x R123
Streamlight TL 2AA ~$20 - two levels, 25 Lumens on high.
New Inova X0 with reflector. Runtime v. brightness is stunning at 5.5hours! for ~$50

Latest posts