• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired *SOLD* MagHID 8AA - Now With Free Stuff

Bob_G

Enlightened
This is the silverlegcy/ufokillerz/Waterfish light from this thread.

I think I got the last one. It's red, and just a smidge longer than a FM 700L (less than .25" by eyeball.)

It's on its first full charge, and cosmetically as delivered.

It does have a different reflector, reamed by me. My view of this light (which may differ from many) is that it is a dedicated spot. I ordered it with a MOP, but wasn't satisfied with the beam, it obviously wanted to be a spot and wasn't taking any crap from me about it. This is important to the buyer because the largest bit I have is .500", and that wasn't quite enough to clear the center of the bulb - it tapers at the base, so the center is the clearance point. I worked it open a little, just enough so you can finesse it past the center of the bulb, and it fits beautifully once fully on, but you don't want to be grabbing it and expecting it to just fall out.

It makes a killer spot with this reflector (a new litho123 SMO) and fits like a M2 on a WA bulb. Included with the light are two lenses: one Boro and one UCL-LDF. I won the battle for the spill with the LDF and much prefer this lens. It makes a very nice "area" light and still has enough power to see well at mid distance.

The head is fairly tight, but this is characteristic of the light. It doesn't really matter, as the focus range with the SMO is very narrow, maybe 1/8 turn, and with the LDF it doesn't matter at all.

Tint is pleasant, think cool LED - not overtly blue at all.

Comes loaded with Energizer 2500s.

Special TV offer! Buy now and receive absolutely free, one PT Surge, yellow, little used. And, one brand new in bag SMJLED PR 2-Cell replacement bulb "with built in DC/DC converter for operation from 2 NiMh/NiCd or alkaline cells."

And, AND!! If someone buys before I leave the house today, about 3 hours from this post, you'll also receive a free PT Tec-40 (dark blue, good shape, 3-cell frosted Mag bulb - works great with alkalines for me.)

$325 shipped anywhere.
First "I'll take it" in this thread gets it. I fear the wrath of Mac :)
PM me for PP info, cash or CC, no fees.

Last edited:

Bob_G

Enlightened
Re: FS: MagHID 8AA - Now With Free Stuff

I seem to have gone and confused myself. Last night I was out back with my dog and took the HID since I guess it was on my mind as I usually don't use it. "Out back" is about 5 acres of rolling, rural land, with woods on two sides and a farm on the back side over a hill. The 5 acres is moderately cleared, enough to mow around the trees - sort of half open half wooded.

A good place to have a light in the middle of the night with a dog. As I stood around keeping an eye on Molly, I realized my usual mindset was somehow missing something. After due consideration, I realized what I was missing was the "auto-runtime-countdown" that's usually running in the background with hotwires. I found I was more relaxed somehow.

Then I thought, "well, why shouldn't I be?" I've got 350 torch lumens with a 2 hourish runtime and a nice focused flood beam. The tint's not annoying, it doesn't hurt my eyes up close and even with the flood I can still see the deer out front when I go back to the house.

If I had used the LDF that's providing that nice flood more I probably wouldn't have started this sales thread. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to withdraw the sale.

Hmm ... I think what I'm going to do is make this the last bump, and then let it swim with the fishes as it gracefully sinks beneath the gently lapping waves of the CPF Sea.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm surprised it's still up for sale. These lights are phenominal!

Jeff

iced_theater

Enlightened

The biggest thing I have is I have a PL14 and don't know if I'd really prefer the MagHid or not. Don't suppose you have pictures of the beam do you?

Last edited:

Somy Nex

Enlightened

not pricy at all =) i have the Mac incarnation of this, using 3x17670s, but they both use the WA 10W bulb and similar reflectors in the mag host, so i believe the beamshots on my page will be more or less the same as what BobG has. keep in mind these are also custom lights built with the quality & TLC of CPF members and not just some mass produced item (which isn't bad in itself, just not quite as good).

anyway, you're looking at M6 HOLA output for around 90-120+mins (abt 71mins at last test for my version), at the expense of a warmup time of course, which is a pretty nice deal any way you cut it (imho) =)

i've dealt with BobG in the past and had an exellent experience with him. free bump for a great light & a great guy :thumbsup:

Bob_G

Enlightened

Nope :) I looked at Powerlights before getting the MagHID. Too big and clunky for me. The MagHID 8AA is a very nice form factor, about 1.5D. Mac's is smaller and cheaper, but you lose runtime of course.

I'm no expert on HIDs at all, but I believe the key characteristic of the WA short-arc xenon is the very small light source. This integrates with the Mag reflectors to create a very small and tight spot with a SMO reflector. I'd guess it would out-throw anything at the same lumens pretty easily. I'm using it with the diffusion lens however, and prefer that over the spot - the spot is fun for a few days, but the flood is much more practical, considering the runtime, at least for me. Another option is the M2 reflector in maybe MS - it's available reamed to .500" so no work involved hopefully, and I'm pretty curious what the beam would look like.

I was out of town for a few days and missed the extra posts here. So thanks to xpitxbullx and Somy Nex for the free bumps and kind words :)

Last edited:

SpltScreen

Newly Enlightened

Well, I can't believe this little gem survived this long! Any longer, and you might have gotten your wish to keep the light.

But, I've done my homework, slept on it, and decided that... I'll Take It!

Thanks again for all of the information sent via PM. I learned an whole lot. BobG is a mighty fine member of these forums!!

PM and Paypal on it's way!

Bob_G

Enlightened

PP received :)

Your batteries are charging as we speak.

I took a goodbye walk with the light tonight. I'm sad to see it go. I hope you like it and it serves you well.