Improved Fenix L1P and L2P 3-stage with separate on/off switch

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the photo of the proto for the L1P and L2P 3-stage circuit:
LXP-3.jpg

The circuit will NOT use drop resistors to reduce the output. This design uses the leaf spring switches to actually change the level of current going to the Lux by modifying the feedback to the controller. This method is very efficient for all levels. This means the runtime for lower levels will be about double compared to using drop resistors to drop the switcher out of regulation.

Last edited:

Nell

Enlightened
Is it on his site already? I couldn't find it. Or is it available directly from you?

Last edited:

frisco

Enlightened
Hey MM,

Will this tailcap switch work with the CR123/CR2 useing both 3v primary and 3.7v LiIon ???

frisco

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
How does this switch work? Twist a little for low and twist some more for high? Or is it on-low -> off -> on-high -> off...?

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
frisco said:
Hey MM,

Will this tailcap switch work with the CR123/CR2 useing both 3v primary and 3.7v LiIon ???

frisco

It will work with primaries best. Li-ion can work if the circuit is set-up to handle it, but the stages won't be very distinct until the voltage drops below Vf of the Lux.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shaocaholica said:
How does this switch work? Twist a little for low and twist some more for high? Or is it on-low -> off -> on-high -> off...?

Twist for low-med-high and click for on/off.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will this be something I can do myself on my existing L2P? Or will it only be avail as a whole light? What do you expect the cost to be? What will the mod require?Im interested! :) :) Ive got a RR headlight on the way and was going use its switch,but maybe Ill wait.I like the on off independent of the levels.Great idea.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
for me.... a person who doesn't own a fenix...

would it matter if i buy a L1P or a L2P (don't consider the tube)... i'm assuming that the circuit can run off of 3.6~4.2v's? Thanks

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul6ppca said:
Will this be something I can do myself on my existing L2P? Or will it only be avail as a whole light? What do you expect the cost to be? What will the mod require?Im interested! :) :) Ive got a RR headlight on the way and was going use its switch,but maybe Ill wait.I like the on off independent of the levels.Great idea.

I may sell the driver alone. The driver would cost $30.

flex76italy

Enlightened
MillerMods said:
I may sell the driver alone. The driver would cost $30.

Miller,

the driver alone, includes also the 2 stage leaf spring switches?

Thanks.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
for me.... a person who doesn't own a fenix...

would it matter if i buy a L1P or a L2P (don't consider the tube)... i'm assuming that the circuit can run off of 3.6~4.2v's? Thanks

The max Vin of the driver is Vf (~3.2V in).

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but it doesn't work for the L2P so far. Low and medium levels work fine with up to 4.2 volts in (with a Li-ion cell it draw 650mA and it's output is around 600mA), but the high level saturates and burns up the Lux with anything higher than 2 volts input that can supply 6 amps of current. With a NIMH the current draw is 1.5 amps on high for an output of 1.5 watts. Low draws 120mA and drives 40mA and medium draws 600mA and drives 220mA. I can change the these drive levels to pretty much anything but these are my prototype settings.

I may be able to get it to work with the L2P body or 3V lithium for all levels as well but I have to do some further investigation.

Last edited:

CoolLEDs

Newly Enlightened
I too am interested in this 3-stage mod. Any estimate on when it will be ready for release?

How will the brightness of each level compare to a stock L1P (on 1xAA) and stock L2P (on 2xAA, assuming you can get it work in this configuration)?

Any chance of selling this in the form of a complete light, but using a Lux III (ala L1T/L2T)?

cacer

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

i am also interested in such a smart little light.
last week i ordert the last cr123 body from 4sevens but the MM L2P was on backorder.
when i place an order now at the fenix-store, will the MM L2P be this one with 3 stage?
i want to use it with protected (1)14500er, (1)cr123 and (2)nimh. would the board take all of them?(oh i missed your post above)

do you use the stock Lux1 or is an SXOH possible?

cacer