Your collection of runtime

fleegs

Enlightened
Hello.

I started to wonder if anyone acutally figured out how long they could have light for using all of their batteries and lights.

How long could you last with no power and still have light?

Would you stop using the brightest and save those batteries for the longest running?

Thanks for humoring me,
rob

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a number of small blackouts and the large east Coast blackout of 2003 I figure between all of my flashlights, headlamps, lanterns and not including oil lamps, candles or other non-electrical methods, I could go for a long time, a year, perhaps longer? It is amazing how little you actually need to subsist and work, especially if you are trying to avoid drawing attention to yourself like the smart ones (like Sub) did during something like Katrina.

fleegs

Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
Using a number of small blackouts and the large east Coast blackout of 2003 I figure between all of my flashlights, headlamps, lanterns and not including oil lamps, candles or other non-electrical methods, I could go for a long time, a year, perhaps longer? It is amazing how little you actually need to subsist and work, especially if you are trying to avoid drawing attention to yourself like the smart ones (like Sub) did during something like Katrina.

What is the story surrounding Katrina and avoiding attention?

Thanks,
rob

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had to just use batteries, I could go for months. If you count my solar powered or hand crank dynamo light...forever.

Jeff

simonsays

Newly Enlightened
I've got two Paklites and two Pal-lites. All loaded with 9v lithium batteries. Should last me a while before I even consider reloading them with my spare batteries. Call it about 7-8 years then.......

simon

mdocod

Flashaholic
I have made a point to load nearly every flashlight I use on a regular basis with rechargables.... NIMH, and some li-ion... I have one light that I am using CR123 primaries in untill I run out, at which point, I will buy some li-ions for it as well...

So I am limited by the fact that NIMH chemistry looses power all the time... I make a point to top off batteries every month or 2,... at the moment, I have somewhere in the ballpark of 40-50 NIMH rechargable AAs around the house, and a handfull of other sizes... In an emergency situation, I like to use long running lights to light a room or for continuas light, and only use the high power lights for short term needs....

even at the self discharge rate of NIMH- combined with my other batteries and lights, I have hundreds of ours of usable low light output from compact LED lights...

if an emergency situation were to really arrise that would leave us without power for an extended duration, I would probably use many of the parts and wire and tools around here to build an underdriven LED light to light rooms for many nights without worry- powered by larger cells...

leduk

Enlightened
Years,
overkill 60W solar panel running a fountain in the garden. I'm buying a 110 AH battery for it this week and will be in a position to charge/run lights, mini-DVD player, radios etc.. until the NiMH stop working.

Now, should I print out all my favourite CPF threads in case the www. fails? I would miss all the info on the site. Perhaps the site could be released as a zip/pdf every once in a while?

Cheers

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the lowest settings on my U60 xrgt, I have runtimes that last hundreds of hours, perhaps over a thousand hours on a single cell. If I were to use the light at an average of 3 hours per day, I would probably have enough runtime from a 12 pack of CR123a to outlive their advertised shelf life (10 years). :)

underdust

Newly Enlightened
Between just my Eternalights and HDS EDCs alone, I'd bet I could have a small amount of light for at least one year. That might even be without using any spare batteries or other lights.

firefly99

Enlightened
A supply of 300 plus Cr123 for single cell lights such as E1E + KL1, Inova 24x7. With a runtime of 4 hours based on E1E+KL1. I should have 1200hours runtime.