which pr base LED drop in? (for 2xAA)

maglite

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a PR base LED drop in for a 2 AA light. I have tried searching, but found no comparisons. How do the different options stack up?

brightness vs runtime, regulation, etc.

Thanks!:)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
SMJLED PR bulb (available from Trueblue and Lambda for $5 to $6.67) is my preferred bulb. It has very high efficiency and good brightness (equal to a typical 1W LED like the L1P) for very low cost. I think it will run off 2AAs for about 24 hours. Off 2AA lithiums (1.7 V kind), I think it will run flat for about 30 hours, but I haven't tested it. IMHO, it beats the pants off all the others for value.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
i second the SMJLED, especially for use in a Mag 2c or 2d. i've got one in a maglite 2c and i figure it's hittin around 4000-5000 lux, which for such a long runtime is pretty awesome! my guestimations are based on comparing it to a Streamlight 4aa-Lux which does about 3000 lux

cary1952

Newly Enlightened
Could someone provide the links? Also, is there a bipin available for the Minimag?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, links. I think it's time I picked one of these up too.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
nerdgineer said:
SMJLED PR bulb (available from Trueblue and Lambda for $5 to $6.67) is my preferred bulb. It has very high efficiency and good brightness (equal to a typical 1W LED like the L1P) for very low cost. I think it will run off 2AAs for about 24 hours. Off 2AA lithiums (1.7 V kind), I think it will run flat for about 30 hours, but I haven't tested it. IMHO, it beats the pants off all the others for value.

Can I assume it the same one that Lighthound is selling as well?

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
is there anyway of getting a SMJLED to work in a Gerber IU?

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SMJLED (bare, not PR base) will work fine in the Gerber IU. What you will get, though, is a very wide flood, hardly any hotspot at all. This is due to the fact that the cut LED is made to work with the reflector, which the little cone in the IU, even when polished, can't do much to colliminate, you need a parabolic reflector for that. This is only slightly better if you use an uncut SMJLED, they don't seem to focus as much as a Nichia or the like.

After all that, I find it a great little light (or the same mod in an old model Dorcy AAA) for walking, where I don't want any hotspot at all, just flood in front of my feet.

leduk

Enlightened
FLR site has a few PR2 listed here.

I have both the Lambda and Lunaled 1W ones.
Lunaled is very bright but a little green.

The PR2 is a stayer though.

The Lunaled (and I guess most real 1W dropins) draws about 560mA.
The PR2 SMJLED draws about 180mA, roughly 1/3 of the current.

If you want brighter shorter then go for a 1 or 2W drop in you might manage 3-4 hours on AA's.

Beamshots 1/3 way down this page.

Cheers

Last edited: