A water proof light similar to P1

mrarmyant

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here, and this site is very informative! Too many topics for answers in search though :).

I like the Fenix P1 but its so danged expensive. Are there flashlights its size that are water proof? Any with a smaller type throw that could be bennificial under water? Or adjustable? A friend of mine said he like the lights at http://www.photonsintl.com/, but that looks the same as the P1 to me. I need a keychain type dive light. I just bought an Inova X5, because its from I like :) and has a nice size and spread.

Need a smaller light on those smaller batteries for diving! Grr! that voltage stabilizer is cool.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome!

Don't know about any "dive" rated lights in the type of form factor which you seek. Maybe the SureFire Exx series just might fit the bill, though for it being "dive[able]" may be called into question. But water-proof to some extent I'd say Yes!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

mrarmyant

Newly Enlightened
CHC said:
Greetings and Welcome!

Don't know about any "dive" rated lights in the type of form factor which you seek. Maybe the SureFire Exx series just might fit the bill, though for it being "dive[able]" may be called into question. But water-proof to some extent I'd say Yes!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Just down to about 80 ft for random ocasions. Deeper would be better but oh well. Worse comes to worse it floods, I clean with alcohol. MAybe it shorts?

PhotonAddict

Enlightened
How about some of the Tektite models. I don't have any personal experience with them but something like the Splash-Lite might suit your needs. They aren't that cheap - I suspect anything that is dive rated won't be though.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I've got a Tektite Splashlight, it's a nice little torch, not much bigger than a P1, and is definitely dive rated. It's made of plastic so can't drive the 1W LED too hard, but gets pretty long run times as a result. The beam quality is pretty poor due to the side emitting LED/reflector combo, so you would probably not use it as a primary dive light, more as a backup.

I think they're about $40, so definitely cheaper than a P1.

Somy Nex

Enlightened
many of the Princeton Tec lights are dive rated & safe for diving. also maybe some pelican lights might be good to go underwater? most surefire lights are rated to 1 atmosphere depth (i think 33ft or 10m) but if you found the P1 expensive....

One great place to go to for some great reviews is www.flashlgihtreviews.com :thumbsup:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

The question is how waterproof you need the flashlights. Most of the quality ones can be considered as IP68 ( 1 meter, one minute), which is more than enough for normal uses. If you need a reliable dive light I would choose something resistant to 10 ATM, even if you don't plan to go that deep ever.
Barbolight I think is not in your price rank, but I can help you choosing a good light if you tell us exactly what are you looking for.

Is it a back up?
Do you plan to use it for diving?
Minimun runtime?
What will be its main purpose?

Regards,

Javier

Last edited:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it is, the P1 doesn't really cost that much, and I think it is the probably the cheapest light in it's class. If that's what you like, I'd spend the extra $15-$20 and get the P1.

Edit: Just read your post a little more closely and noticed you're looking for a dive light. I don't think the P1 is dive rated. It's probably waterproof up to a certain point, or for a certain length of time, but I don't think it's something you want to go scuba diving with. That Tek-tite looks like it might fill the bill.

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think the P1 is expensive then don't go venturing into the McGizmo forum :grin2:

The newer Fenix L1P has thicker O-rings and is considered to be *very* water resistant. It costs less than the P1, but also isn't as bright.

Something from Princeton Tec is also a great choice. The Attitude, while not all that bright, is resistant to something like 200 meters.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
your best buy would be the streamlight pro-polymer luxeon... not small, but waterproof and bright according to its review.

-David

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a light that's small, dive-rated, and cheap, I would recommend the following:

*UK 2AAA eLED. It's about $10-15, and it's dive rated to 500 feet. It's also very tiny. However, it's probably not bright enough for a dive light.

*Princeton Tec Blast. It's about $5-10, dive rated to 1000 feet, and about half the size of a MiniMag. Not very bright, though.

*Princeton Tec Rage. It's about $10-15 and just slightly shorter than a MiniMag, dive rated to 1000 feet, and pretty bright.

Based on these, I would say the Princeton Tec Rage is probably your best bet.