PWM LS Petzl Zoom

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
The Petzl Zoom just received an upgrade. One of PWM switches kindly supplied by Streak was installed. Two remote micro switches were installed in the original spare bulb section with the circuit secured inside the lamp. Works just as specified in the literature. The light can now be used at 100, 50 or 25% power, with two strobe modes. It can also be switched to permanent on when required.
It just gets better and better...

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
The remote switches enters through small holes and are completely sealed with silicone. The switches themselves are covered by a ring of vulcanizing rubber. The light bezel is also completely covered with the same. I splashed around in a pool by holding the battery compartment in my hand and swinging the head/bezel in the water. No water penetrated. If I can only find a better arrangement or holder for the batteries. Currently the existing holder is simply sealed with duct tape. With a 10h runtime on 100% it is not too bad.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's some pictures of the mod he sent me:

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Pretty cool.
icon14.gif

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Lux
Thanks for hosting the pics.

Charles
The "normal" battery is the 3LR12 block battery. I also sometimes use the 3AA adapter. All the Zooms over here allow both - the adapter just clicks in place. I get roughly 5h on the 3AA. Is your AA adapter permanently fixed?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nam,

I would be interested in knowing more about that switch. Can you change the power settings to something more steep, such as 100%, 30%, 10%, or is it fixed? Also, where could I get one? Should I contact Streak?

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Lux, have a look at the company site www.Azoteq.com for the data sheets. The stock switches only have the 100,50,25 power settings. At 25 it is still way brighter than my PT Matrix but perfect for map reading. In my mod it works well enough as the circuit is voltage regulated. Streak's e-mail is [email protected] Contact him direct. At one point in time he tested the interest, but not many people were. These switches are so small, quite a few fit into the smallest padded envelope. If you consider doing so, maybe more people on your side would chip in.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nam, Mine is a standard Zoom with the 3AA adapter in it. It just came that way, with the 3 LED bulb, both from C. Crane.

On a new note, I got the Nichia based bulbs from LEDcorp on tuesday and installed the one for the Petzl (E10 base, 3 cell). Focuses perfectly and unfocused, it gives a very wide and smooth spot. Functions best on 3 Lithium AAs. Definitely a keeper for me. I also got a PR LED bulb for each 3 and 4 cells. The 3 cell works great. Can't test the 4 Cell, as it is for a friend (4D Mag).

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Charles
We use the AA's during training - it's cheaper than the 3LR12 block - but the block lasts way longer and is used during races. Also, the block batt is not that common over here in Namibia!

Subjectively, how do the LEDcorp compare to say a PT Matrix or the Opalec? (The reference I have...). Done any output vs duration tests?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matrix is regulated, non-focusable (fixed), and fairly dim.

The LEDcorp Nichia for Petzl is very nice. Not as bright as the C. Crane/Tektite 3 LED bulb, but it is focusable and does this much better than Petzl's bulbs.

I only have my Mark 0.25 eyeballs to do testing and don't do duration testing. I would presume that a single LED would get very good runtime on the batteries.

I have the PT Solo with Matrix module to compare with. Since I have just gotten the bulb, I really can't say how long it would last. It does give a better and whiter pattern than the Matrix module. Brighter with Lithiums than Alkalines. It does light up the black, blacktop of the driveway. So, in a near zero ammbient light situation, I would say it will do quite well. It does help to be dark adapted.
grin.gif