Best match for 2-level 1AA LED light ...

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for an EDC 1AA LED light that has at least two levels, lower level should last at least 5 hours, don't care about runtime on high but it should be be bright ("bright" being relative, since this is just a AA light). I've been reading this forum but I have a hard time keeping up with you guys on the latest lights; it seems like the Fenix L1T is a two-level 1-AA light that people like. Will that light take one of those fancy 3V AAs as well as regular lithium or alkaline AAs?

Are there any other 1-AA two-level lights I should be looking at? Price limit $100, and I'm hoping to spend substantially less than that.

Thanks!

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
three options...

1) L2P head on a L1P body with a two stage switch

2) L1T

3) Proton

---

I have only used a proton... and its one of my favorite EDC's... its bright, has hundreds of brightness levels... has a red led for night vision... LRI/Photon has amazing customer service...

http://www.photonlight.com/products/proton/index.html

vvk

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds said:
three options...

I have tried this combination (L2P head on a L1P body) using a 2 stage switch from 4seven and the runtime is severely reduced.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds said:
three options...

2) L1T

3) Proton

Thanks, I'll check out the Proton. It looks like with the Proton I don't have the option of "turn on at my last output level", which makes it much less useful for me.

What's the advantage of going L2P head on L1P body w/ 2-stage switch, versus just going L1T?

D@rkMessenger said:
Wait for the new jetbeam, comes with a clip too

Ah, Jetbeam has a 2-stage switch coming? I missed that announcement, I'll go hunt them down. How has the QA been on the Jetbeams? I don't recall too many complaints.

Joe

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please explain. Do you mean from the 2AA configuration?
vvk said:
I have tried this combination (L2P head on a L1P body) using a 2 stage switch from 4seven and the runtime is severely reduced.

My recc:
1) Fenix L1T - I like how the modes are separate from the clicky, can use 2AA body and Li-Ion 14500.
2) LRI Proton - has some issues now though, but more flexible.
3) Streamlight Tasklight 1AA - cheaper with less output, but looong runtime on low.

I don't like how the two-stage L1P mod works compared to the how L1T works.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.riflescopes.com/products/100090C/new_bushnell_led_flashlight.htm

Check this page,bushnell 1AA clicky is independent of front head.Also has a low batteryindicator.I think this will be my next light. It has everthing i, ve been looking for.All the features people have been asking.Some one here got the 3 watt and did a review in led sectoin.

Powerful 1-Watt Luxeon white LED resulting in 30-lumen output
10x brighter than standard LED's
100,000-hour LED life
2.5-hour continuous run time
Rotating head with high, medium, low, S.O.S. and safety strobe settings
Rugged, waterproof, aircraft-grade aluminum housing with hard-anodized finish that won't scratch or mar
S.O.S. signal visible for more than two miles
Find-Me feature and battery-life indicator
Secure mode prevents accidental on and off

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rotating head with many different modes - Nice.

Paul6ppca said:

Check this page,bushnell 1AA clicky is independent of front head.Also has a low batteryindicator.I think this will be my next light. It has everthing i, ve been looking for.All the features people have been asking.Some one here got the 3 watt and did a review in led sectoin.

Powerful 1-Watt Luxeon white LED resulting in 30-lumen output
10x brighter than standard LED's
100,000-hour LED life
2.5-hour continuous run time
Rotating head with high, medium, low, S.O.S. and safety strobe settings
Rugged, waterproof, aircraft-grade aluminum housing with hard-anodized finish that won't scratch or mar
S.O.S. signal visible for more than two miles
Find-Me feature and battery-life indicator
Secure mode prevents accidental on and off

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Paul6ppca said:

I believe those are actually single RC123 flashlights, not 1AA. See the Bushnell homepage for that model at:
http://www.bushnell.com/products/night_vision/flashlights.cfm

Looks like a nice light though ... btw, my local Le Baron's here in Toronto carries it for $47.45 CDN ($43 US), and the 3W model for $65 ($59 US).

I'd recommend the Fenix L1T ....

vvk

Newly Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
Please explain. Do you mean from the 2AA configuration?

I don't like how the two-stage L1P mod works compared to the how L1T works.

I used L2p head + 2 stage switch from 4seven + cr2 body with single rechargable RCR2 battery. The battery prottection kicked in less than 20 minites and the light went off. With the standard switch the same battery usually lasts around an hour. L2P head is regulated unlike L1p for that reason, I guess, the switch on the 4seven's web site is advertised as working with the L1p only.

Another issue is that to my eyes the light seems less bright when using the two stage switch (on high).