KL1 remora MOD

McGizmo

Flashaholic
New life and utility from an old beat up 6 volt lantern has been obtained by adding a KL1 "remora" to the lantern:

lantern-remora.jpg

MORE

I keep this light in my basement and have spent days crawling around under the floors with this marginal POS. Trying to prop it up for task lighting with dirt clods and rocks while laying on my belly and banging my head on floor joists has always made me wonder.........

I designed a tail piece that will allow certain flashlight heads to be attached to a Loc-Line stalk. The KL1 is one of these heads and my McLux is another. I installed a KL1 on a prototype tail piece and in turn allowed my old yellow light to host the "remora".

I don't look forward to my next under the house adventure but at least this mod will be waiting and I think the tasks at hand will be a lot easier. The beam from the lantern is tight and powerful enough to illuminate wireing and plumbing at a distance and now I will have the KL1 to illuminate the task at hand, once I crawl to it.

I wonder what the run time would be on a 6 volt alk lantern battery and the KL1 drawing 270 mA?

Now I have visions of a cool Al case with a SF turbo head and a KL1 on stalk running off a 6 volt gel cell..............
grin.gif

- Don

Saaby

Flashaholic
"Now I have visions of a cool Al case with a SF turbo head and a KL1 on stalk running off a 6 volt gel cell............."

Have you seen the New Evergizer Hardcase lanterns? Not quite that, but close...

BradN

Newly Enlightened
Never thought I'd hear the term "remora" outside of paintball. For us, that's a barrel adapter to put a Spyder barrel on a Stingray...kinda neat that somebody else knows what it is.

I like what you did. I need to get some time away from guns and get to work on more lights.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
BradN,

Funny, I'm not up on the paintball application at all but I'm surprised to hear the term used there :)

I was referencing the little hitchhikers who like to hang out for free rides in the ocean. You can see a couple on the side of this tiger shark who visited me one fine day:

t-2.jpg

grin.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is more versatile.

lantern-remora1.jpg

I'd rather think the spider look is more appropriate.
smile.gif

-Wayne

McGizmo

Flashaholic
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Oh man, my stomach hurts!! Is it time to bring back the stupid flashlight contest?
grin.gif

OK Wayne, I give up.
tongue.gif

Bear in mind that this thing never sees the light of day, It just hangs in the basement with the mushrooms and me on ocassion
grin.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously,

That KL1 to Loc line adaptor is unique. Very creative work there Don.

I'm not sure I would sacrifice a KL1 for a general purpose basement light.
smile.gif

Wayne

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Big Honu,

Thanks for the kind words. This mod is certainly not pretty but the utility is definately there! Having a Luxeon on a stalk that can feed in small bites from a large cell makes a lot of sense to me. The heavy battery provides a good portable base for a stalk type light and having a high powered spot light to boot is a handy combo. I need to check out the lights Saaby was referring to. I do want to revisit this idea later with some high end light sources. I also think a 6 volt or even beter, a 12 volt gel cell is the way to go. The 12 volt would be ideal as it could easily be charged from a cigg plug in a vehicle or boat. I assume a SF turbo with 12V LA is available or maybe I'll just go with a HID for the powerfull spot beam. A KL3 or something Wayne Y and I come up with will be the stalk head. We hope to be offering an alternative soon to the stock Luxeon collimator. It will be a drop in polished Al reflector that yields a wider angle beam witha nice even light fill. This would be even more appropriate for such a light combo.

Oh good, Wayne reconnected the link to his great image
grin.gif

Wayne,

Being relegated to basement duty isn't glamorus work but I'll tell you, when you're stuck down there, having a good light is a must!

- Don

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Now this is a truly practical and unique lighting tool. I see a very big market for something like this, not only around the home, but for industry professionals as well. Nicely done, Don!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Originally posted by JoeyL:
I think that's a great idea!
Where do you get this Loc Line?
Is it in different lengths?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">JoeyL,

Unfortunately the Loc-Line is usually only found in machine tool supplies and as a hose kit for the transfer of coolant. The standard color for the 1/4" size is blue hose segments with orange connectors. I buy the black as an OEM for my LED light systems. The black Loc-Line is available from berkeleypoint

- Don

EDIT: THe segments snap together so you can make any length you want. Unless you are a glutton for punishment, the Loc-Line pliers are dang near a must if you want to build your own assemblies.

Darell

Flashaholic
The pliers are also handy for shooting the little segments clear across the shop. One needs to use the pliers backwards to accoplish this task, but that's easy since I never pay attention to which way around I use them.

grin.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
whats up with the light circle and the small bolt? Do I win a prize for noticing?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Oops,

The little light circle was a photoshop mask that allowed me to "burn in" that area and show a mini - toggle switch with rubber boot that is used to turn the KL1 on and off. The switch is in the recess area so it is save from accidental bumping.......... I guess I highlited the feature and then forgot to point it out. I'm surprised Wayne didn't put them all over the place.
grin.gif