Brand New Custom Pill mod

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a new mod I made recently. It is a totally custom piece, including a pill using a bare Luxeon emitter. The pill is going to have a driver board inside it, and the customer it's made for will decide on that. There is no driver currently in it, so I can't show beam pix...sorry!
smile.gif

The last two pictures show the tailpiece will fit an Arc-LS head, and the custom head fits an Arc body. The custom piece has a Kroll TCS, and there is a tapped hole in the guard around the base for attachment of stuff to the light (lanyard, tripod, etc.) Thanks to McGizmo for a lot of these ideas, but my own wierd imagination for how they turned out...

Here are some pictures to show it off...
custom-pill-1.jpg

custom-pill-2.jpg

custom-pill-3.jpg

custom-pill-4.jpg

custom-pill-5.jpg

custom-pill-6.jpg
custom-pill-7.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Doug,

Very unique! It's cool to have one of a kind! It looks like you have allowed for enough mass and surface area to keep the LED happy even if it's over driven! Good Job! I will be very curious to see how you instill your style in the "universal" holder. It will be a large canvas!
grin.gif

- Don

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, looks like you have a clickie in there!

Okay, will it fit the UBH?

I know you ordered two of Lambda's pills.
Will that fit Wayne's Madmax or Badboy also?

Good work Doug!
smile.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hey Doug, I know the customer!!! This is a very cool format, I could not quite envision it when he first described it to me a couple of months ago while telling me he was going to have you turn his design into real-world form.

Very Nice Job.

Please hurry up and ship so I get to see it in person!

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for your kind words! I will also be posting an update this evening on the UBH thread (had more success this time). Mr. Bulk, yes, you know who it is. I have a couple of little things to do for him, so it's going to be a week or two before I can send it, but it'll be there ASAP...
smile.gif

Other options - I can easily make this to use a different kind of Pill, wither BB/MM or IllPill, just a matter of updating the inside dimensions to fit well. No problem. It's definitely a clickie in there as described in the 1st post - Kroll clickie TCS. It's a single 123 cell unit.

McGizmo - yes, it's a little heavy looking, but being aluminum, is not too bad. I kind of went for the "50's sci-fi ray-gun" look here...
smile.gif

Deviant

Enlightened
Nice!
icon14.gif

i particularly like that copper heatsink that the LED is mounted on. imo the best HS i have seen so far

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that copper slug is thermally coupled well with the housing [either press fit or snug fit with thermal compound or epoxy] it will be the best mod I've seen yet with regard to addressing heat issues. Nice work!! Pretty too.
BTW, my first impression at looking at the pictures was that this was a light for a gun enthusiast: A Luxeon with a flash suppressor!

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Something only a guy with a lathe would notice - Nice knurling job - looks like you got them to track well - ditto the form tooling work!

(12" Atlas and a Burke Millrite in the basement)

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note that the copper pill is hollow - the driver board will go inside it, and it will (I assume) be filled with AS epoxy. There is a wide brass contact plate on the bottom, for the positive end of the battery. The removable bottom of the pill is non-conductive, with the contact plate pressed into the middle of it. Wires will be soldered onto the contact and the pill body, then the output wires will go directly to the emitter. This way, the emitter can be changed, or if the pill remains hollow, the driver board can be changed too. Versatility -R- Us...
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Deviant

Enlightened
what i was thinking is that the Pill, BB/MM or IllPill, be built within the copper pill. AS epoxy is only effective as a thin layer and not as a chunk. so using AS epoxy to fill up may not utilise the copper pill as a HS.

but then there is the option of silver solder however the heat may be detrimental to the electonics and Luxeon.

BradN

Newly Enlightened
That's cool looking. Looks like a miniature light saber.

"Luke, I have your flash light."

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bezel internal looks like cone-shaped to hold the optics, would it be serving as reflector behind the optics as well?

Alan

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it does much to aid in the optical dept, I just wanted to hold the optics securely. It's not goin' anywhere...