Need some hi-flux 6-7Vf white Luxeons

HenryE

Newly Enlightened
I need something bright that can reasonably be driven by a pair of rechargeable lithium cells without dissipating too much in a series resistor, so high Vf is necessary. I went through the Sandwich Shoppe and didn't see anything useful.

Surely someone has U-bins with T or U Vf --- no?

Henry

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you would want is a LuxV, preferably with an S or T bin Vf. The Sandwich Shoppe has both WWOT and WWOS LEDs.

There would be no advantage (and one big disadvantage)to using a Lux3 with an extremely high Vf vs one with a more "normal" Vf and a resistor. Either way, you will be dissipating the same amount of power from the battery at any given current.

Anyway, try a LuxV. That would be your best bet. Even there you might want a resistor to avoid thermal runaway.

HenryE

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!
I was surprised to see that the WWOT emitter is $44+shipping.
Perhaps I'd best wait for K2 to become plentiful.

H

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does it need to be a pair of li-ion cells? If you're running in a two cell host with a pair of li-ion R123A cells, you could try using a single 17670 instead. Then you'd have about 3.7 volts on average to play with.

I'm sure it's not advisable, but I've played around with driving a Lux I off a single 18650 li-ion cell. It draws a whopping 1.5 amps at around 4 volts when the cell is fully charged, and it's bright as $h!t. I'm sure I'm not doing anything good for the Luxeon's lifespan, but I don't really care because I paid close to dirt for the thing.

Latest posts