Wuben        

Thread: stupid thieves - RANT

Default stupid thieves - RANT

My daughter called a little while ago. She took my car to work tonight. She finished work and went to drive home only to discover that the car had been broken into, I have Sony System in a '92 Thunderbird, They didn't get the radio, they didn't get anything, but the left me with broken rear window, part of the dash is broken and I am just p*ssed off.

I titled this stupid thieves - anyone with half a brain would not break a window to get in, secondly - almost all replacement radios slide into a box that is mounted in the dash. All you need is the key to remove these, the key is basically 2 strips of metal that slide into the side of the radio, these in turn release a latch, and the radio just slides out.

The truly sad part of this - they were probably taking it for drug money, and they would have been paid probably $10 to $20. Almost makes you want to leave $20 on the dash with a note saying -Just take the money, leave the radio, but they are probably too stupid to read....
    Last edited by will; 07-06-2006 at 01:49 AM.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: stupid thieves - RANT

I like told Jimmy(knifebright) when his car got broken into that at least the driver is safe. Broken window is small potatoes compared to what would have happened if your daughter were in the car when the thieves were roaming around.
    "a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen." -Warren vs District of Columbia, after three women were raped, beaten for 14 hours and police never came after numerous 911 calls were placed

Quote Originally Posted by 270winchester
    I like told Jimmy(knifebright) when his car got broken into that at least the driver is safe. Broken window is small potatoes compared to what would have happened if your daughter were in the car when the thieves were roaming around.

Yeah - I know - First question - are you OK?

A window is an easy thing to fix. Still gets me mad though...

with every dark cloud - sometimes some good comes out of it.

Picked up a window at a Salvage Yard, had to remove the rear seats and interior coverings on the rear quarter. Once I had everything out I finally got a chance to put in the additional amplifier for the stereo in the trunk. Lots of space to run the wires. So - now I have the full set up installed.

Still - not the best way to do things..

Flashaholic*

In the immortal words of Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction:

It woulda been worth him doing it so I coulda caught him.

I thought this was going to be a rant about 'stupid' thieves, not just car thieves.

I post this everywhere:

Thieves break into cars to search the glove box, ashtray, and arm rest box for change or better. It's the curiosity factor. I always leave all stash areas open when I park in places that seem sketchy. That way it looks like the car has already been rifled thru- and smart thieves don't break into cars that have already been looted.

They were after the radio - pulled the dashboard away from the radio housing, screwdriver marks in the plastic around the radio. I don't leave anything that looks valuable in plain sight.

this is a aftermarket radio - it takes less than 5 seconds to get it out of the housing, with the right tool. Like I said - they were stupid...

Flashaholic*

will:

I feel your pain and can identify with you. About a year ago, my car was broken into while in a parking garage for probably less than 15 mintues! They broke the front passenger window and made off with an assortment of stuff, including the car's manual. I was really upset because they took the flashlights, and left the more expensive multi-tools! Why didn't they take the tools and leave the flashlights?!

Actually, the worst part of it all, probably was the mess created throughout the car from the shattered window glass.

your radio doesn't have a detachable face?

I am still picking up small bits of glass. I think we finally got most of it, From what I hear about this type of theft - they sell the radios for $20 then buy drugs...

sad - just sad..