Need Flashlight Buying advice

QMT2

Newly Enlightened
Hi I need some help finding a new Flashlight for work. I need it for looking in drop ceilings and other dark areas. I want it to be BRIGHT so people will been in aww with my flashlight :). I would like it to be about the size of a AA Maglite so I can carry it on my belt with a Sheath not just a clip on the flashlight itself. Also does anybody know of a website that sells Sheaths that hold Leathermans and a Flashlight? I have looked on the internet and cannot tell the sizes of the flashlights. Thanks

Per Arne

Enlightened
Hi there,

A Leatherman sheath with AA flashlight holder (LM12), try Knifecenter.com - $9.95 at the moment and i stock...

A bright AA Maglite, try TerraLux TLE-5 LED from Lighthound.com or MadMax LED from Sandwich Shoppe (theledguy.chainreactionweb.com).

If you want a wider soft beam, try the surefire Anti-Roll F04 Beamshaper 1" from Lighthound. It also protects the bezel if dropped and is better than the one you find in Mini Maglite accessory pack, in my opinion :)

Blackhawk.com have also a hoster that fits a AA Maglite and a knife or a multi-tool (Duty Flashlight & Pistol Mag Combo) and I think Maxpedition.com also have something similar... and Eagleindustries.com also makes nylon gear...

I recon you have had a look at surefire.com too? Maybe the best flashlight around :whistle:
Good luck :candle: :thumbsup:

PA

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size of a 2AA light? How about a Surefire L4? That light has always impressed everyone who saw it.

Jeff

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

For 2AA the Nuwai X-3 is very bright. Lousy runtime though - 45 minutes. There are reports some of the fatter rechargeable batteries may not fit.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_x-3.htm

The brightest light I've got is My Little Friend from Electrolumens. 216 lumens / 3000 lux vs. the Surefire L4at 125 lumens. 20 minutes on high, 1 hour on low. You might have a hard time finding a holster to carry the 4AAA stubby AND a Leatherman.

To find the size of a light go to fliaslight reviews index page. Select light by name/model#. In each review Quickbeam has a picture comparing the light with a common 2AA flashlight.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_by_mfgrs.htm

Last edited:

GregWormald

Enlightened
If I was looking in dark ceiling cavities etc. I would want a nice wide beam. Since ceilings are no longer than houses a long throw is not needed. Have a look at the review of the NEW Inova XO.
Greg

carrot

Flashaholic
The Fenix series of lights may be what you're looking for... slim, use alkalines, and bright. The P1 is particularly good choice, as it is tiny, and with rechargeable cells (such as from QualityChinaGoods.com) it can best much more expensive lights in output. (They don't call it the pocket rocket for nothing!)

Surefires are pretty slim, but the Fenixes are closer in diameter to a Maglite mini...

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm an HVAC Tech, and I carry an Inova X5 as my EDC. It's a wide spot, but will throw a good 20 feet in total darkness. A Fenix L1T or L2T would be my second choice. I carry an L1T when not at work and it's a nice little light that uses any variant of AA battery.

Chucula

Newly Enlightened
i have not handled many lights but i have a fenix l1p and it is a great 1xAA light. It has good spill and a good center spot to point stuff out.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

Lots of suggestions here. Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

jezzyp

Enlightened
Fenix L2T or L2P depending if you want dual levels or regulation would be a good choice. Way brighter than the minimag with Terralux LED bulb.
Should fit into most holsters that take a minimag.

QMT2

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice everyone!! This is the one I have decided to go with.
barbie-flashlight-rayovac-2003.jpg
:lolsign:

NAW

Enlightened
If I could start all over again I'd get a

-Surefire C2

-DRB-9VHP

-2 R123

I wish I could start all over and get that set up. It basically is a 175 lumen rechargeable light with a clip. To bad...

But if you want something simple and affordable Fenix has some nice lights.:grin2:

Last edited:

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
nc987 said:
SureFire L4 or E2E for the size you are asking.

After some research, i'm going to have to go with these two as well. They are on my list to get this week and from what i've read, they are incredibly bright for their small size.