Why are prices erased after point of sale on lights?

colubrid

Enlightened
I would like to see what certain lights went for and after they sell are sold. Most people put "erased" or "gone" after they have a buyer.

Just wondering why this is done. What are people covering up or protecting and why?

Empath

Flashaholic
This has been addressed several times. Could you tell us what makes this time different?

To whom are you addressing your compaint, and what do you suggest as a solution?

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Empath said:
This has been addressed several times. Could you tell us what makes this time different?

To whom are you addressing your compaint, and what do you suggest as a solution?

Make a b/s/t/ rule that price remains on the ad after the sale is compleated.

Failing that, apply peer pressure (such as this post) letting other know that the practice is annoying at best, and dispicable at worst. Do this on a regular basis, to keep the topic in peoples mind (and yes, bandwidth is very very cheap).

People are intentionaly trying to make it impossible/hard to determine fair market value. It is indeed damn annoying, as well as selfish and thoughtless.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish folks would leave the prices, too. Gives you an idea of the market. Same deal with completed auctions on eBay. No harm in leaving them up there, unless a seller's worried someone will tell the buyer he got taken.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, it should be a requirement of B/S/T.

Can we make it so that when you open a new thread in B/S/T the rules pop up and you get a refresher that you must leave the price up after conclusion of the sale or risk losing your B/S/T privileges?

That should get everyones attention.

Bill

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
bwaites said:

Can we make it so that when you open a new thread in B/S/T the rules pop up and you get a refresher that you must leave the price up after conclusion of the sale or risk losing your B/S/T privileges?

That should get everyones attention.

Bill

or at least make it a 'jeer' worthy offense :p

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:

Can we make it so that when you open a new thread in B/S/T the rules pop up and you get a refresher that you must leave the price up after conclusion of the sale or risk losing your B/S/T privileges?..
I don't want to sound too Libertarian here, but is this really worth a rule change? I mean sellers are bound to deliver their product in good order and maybe provide support for it, and failing that is worth a jeer, but keeping prices up after a sale? I mean really....

What if the seller just edited his post when each item was sold to delete whatever was sold? Would that be allowed? I think observers should be free to ask what the sell price was or request that the price be kept up (by contacting the seller's directly) and the sellers should be free to do whatever they want, given they deliver the product, etc.

The moderators probably have enough to do without having to keep an eye on stuff like this.... Just my 2 cents...

B737Driver

Newly Enlightened
Well said.
nerdgineer said:
I don't want to sound too Libertarian here, but is this really worth a rule change? I mean sellers are bound to deliver their product in good order and maybe provide support for it, and failing that is worth a jeer, but keeping prices up after a sale? I mean really....

What if the seller just edited his post when each item was sold to delete whatever was sold? Would that be allowed? I think observers should be free to ask what the sell price was or request that the price be kept up (by contacting the seller's directly) and the sellers should be free to do whatever they want, given they deliver the product, etc.

The moderators probably have enough to do without having to keep an eye on stuff like this.... Just my 2 cents...

greenLED

Flashaholic
Whenever I encounter this situation and I need to know the price (comparison, window shopping on my part, etc.), I PM the seller and politely ask for what the selling price was. I have yet to be denied this info.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would typically do the same as GreenLed, but it complicates the issue.

Simply leaving prices up and changing the color of the line can indicate it has been sold.

If you make it a rule, then everybody will at least know what they are SUPPOSED to do. Following it is another matter.

Bill

Topper

Flashaholic*
I have tossed the famous I'LL TAKE IT then go back and edit in the price after paypal is sent; just so it would still show up in my post even if the seller deletes it in his. I would prefer the sellers leave it so I can see it. If I buy it (send paypal) then it becomes mine and I can post the price I paid.
Topper :)

colubrid

Enlightened
I still don't know WHY people do it. Its so common here i would expect someone who has done it to step up to the plate.

Com'n what are you all afraid of???

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the few items I have sold I usually leave all the info on the first post and only add a Sold in Big Bold Red letters for everyone to see, I always tought that sellers delete the price so other members don't rush in their payments before the original buyer sends the money and steal the sale.

I would love to see all leave the sale information alone.

AlexGT

cy

Flashaholic
this has been covered ad nauseam....

it's simply not enforceable... pick your battles, someone said.

easiest way to preserve price is to quote the original sales post. that takes control of preserving prices away from seller...

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see anything wrong with deleting prices nor keeping prices, but cy's method is the best :D

I personally don't bother to delete prices; I mean if it was publicly sold at a certain price that everyone could view, why be secretive about it after its sold... :confused:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never understood that, either. I always thought there was some reason that I just wasn't thinking deep enough to see, but that was obvious to our other, deeper thinking members. I'd really like the prices to stay, too. I often click on a thread, after seeing that an item has sold, with the intent of finding out what the asking/selling price was, and the price has been erased! I've even asked in a thread or two how much the item sold for, not to gauge the market, but simply to entertain myself, and my answers are usually obtained by another member giving me a friendly PM with the answer, which always enforces irrational notion that these things should be "hush hush." I don't get it. (Thanks to the people that let me know how much things have sold for, though!)

CLHC

Flashaholic
cy said:
easiest way to preserve price is to quote the original sales post. that takes control of preserving prices away from seller...
There it is! :goodjob:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got into the practice of chaning my price to SOLD! after I got tired of people coming along (somtimes months after the sale) and asking if it was still available, despite having said that it's sold elsewhere in the post, or bottom of the thread.

Also, it prevents other people from saying stuff like "but he sold his for $100 2 weeks ago, and you want $120 for yours?". Doesn't happen here much, but I've seen this sort of thing happen elsewhere. I've even seen this happen with the exact same item (not just the same model, but the exact same item). Hasn't happened to me personally, but I see it a lot, and it only serves to **** people off (both sellers and buyers).

I never really thought about it from the other point of view, although I have a couple times asked someone how much they sold their item for (after editing the price to say "Sold"), once to see how much I should pay, once to see how much I should ask for an item I'm selling.

If people here prefer that I leave the price up after a sale is completed (I'll change the text color though), but I'll probably keep to my practice of removing the price elsewhere.