LED-Lenser v2 giga chip

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have any experience with the LED-Lenser v2 giga chip rechargeable? It uses a 5w luxeon and a 6x1/2c 2000mah battery pack. I can't seem to find any decent reviews on this. I would particularly like to know what the runtime plot is like i.e. is it regulated or not. If its not regulated, does the rechargeable battery discharge curve provide acceptable regulation?

How does the output compare to other 5w Luxeons?

It claims to have a 25 hour runtime which sounds to me like this is either a lie or it has a crappy discharge curve.

I am considering buying one of these so any comments would be helpful. :)

http://www.zweibrueder.com/english/products/torchesandflashlights/ledlenserv2series/v2gigachip.html

v2gigachip_579.jpg

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that's certainly the cheaper option. How well does the Nuwai perform with rechargeables? Does the output diminish?

I would prefer the LED-Lenser since it's better looking and rechargeable but I wouldn't want to spend the extra money if the output or regulation is not as good as the Nuwai.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious about the giga chip light, too. They sell it on Costco's website. The description sounds pretty interesting, and SS is cool! It's about $150 plus shipping, though--a bit on the expensive side. (but, it does have lots of cool factor!)

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
After much searching, this is the best review I've found:

http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/RECH_6.htm

Apparently its unregulated but they don't give a runtime plot. They also say that it "falls short of other lights that may have even less powerful emitters" which I'm guessing refers to luxeon III lights. Not sure whether this is talking about throw or overall output. The beam shot looks a bit square for my liking.

Lnsr_4.jpg

I'm starting to have my doubts about this light now. If I'm buying a torch this big for this much money, I'd want the overall output to destroy everything else.:xyxgun:

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't sound to promising. If you're looking to spend that kind of money, I'd just go with a Surefire L4, or an L2. If you want to save money, I'd look at the Likki Lite 5w, or a Nuwai light.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The surefires look excellent but I'm looking for something with more runtime and rechargeable. The problem is that with RCR123s the surefires last about 15 mins according to FLR. I've been looking for a good LED rechargeable light for a while now but I can't find anything that can beat a SLPP 4AA luxeon (with the latest rechargeables) for its combination of brightness, long runtime and size. I know there are a lot of brighter more expensive lights out there but none really appeal to me. I wish there were more AA powered lights available since high capacity rechargeable AAs are easy to find.

ginaz

Enlightened
does it have to be 123 cells? the nuwai runs on C cells so rechargables are not a problem. it has variable power levels as well which is huge.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, my Nuwai runs on 3 CR123As, or two 17500s (which is what I use.). It keeps near maximum brightness for about an hour, and then gives you plenty of usable light for a couple of more (the regulator actually performs better with the rechargeables). The Surefire L4 is, also, definitely rechargeable. I run mine using a single Pila 168s (protected 17670), which gives about an hour of MAX brightness, with still more usable light after it runs out of regulation.