(Newbie) Can I mod my 3C Streamlights?

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
I spent the 1980's as a Paramedic and was issued several 3C cell Streamlights. These lights were worthless on calls (I bought an SL-20 after I saw the cops with them).

I'd really like to try an LED mod but haven't seen anything come up after several days of lurking. Can someone point me in the right direction? Is it possible to do anything with these lights?

Thanks,
John

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Ratso:
I know nothing about these lights, if it uses a PR bulb you can put in a PR replacement LED bulb.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">They are very similar to the Maglights you can get at Home Depot etc, but these use 3C cells. They share the same bulbs as the Maglights though.

Sorry I can't be more specific. These are my first posts (always liked flashlights but I never thought to look for a hobbiest forum like this) and I would like to start getting into LED lights. These lights just sit in my battery box because they are quite useless as flashlights with a poor beam and short run time. I figured they would be a great place to start.

Thanks for the replies,
John

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know this for a fact, but consider ordering a new bulb from streamlight. As SL is a serious Flashlight company, maybe the quality of the bulb has changed in 20 plus years.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Johnny, you need to look into direct-driving Luxeon Star LED's in these lights. The fact that your "subjects" require three cells is a very GOOD thing.. Luxeons that are well heatsinked make LOTS of light when driven at 4.5v.

Look, around the forum for 3 cell & direct drive Luxeon mods. You will be happy if you go this route...

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Slick:
Look, around the forum for 3 cell & direct drive Luxeon mods. You will be happy if you go this route...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Slick, that's a great start. It's what I was looking for.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since your lights use "C" cells, there would probably be enough room to mount a complete "Luxeon Star with Optics" or "LS/o" like this ->

staroo.jpg

LS/o's are a good (probably the best) LED for a "first time modder" since it comes mounted to a heatsink and has the optics in place. You WILL want to mount the LS/o heatsink onto a larger heatsink (using thermal epoxy) that makes good contact with the aluminum body of the flashlight. Proper heatsinking is what will make or break this mod.