Options for another flashlight brighter and with more throw than L2T

tsl

Enlightened
I'm considering a second flashlight, my first being the Fenix L2T. Love the L2T ... small, nice beam and color, 2 stage, excellent run time (per Quickbeam's review). I'd like to get another 2-stage, 2-cell LED light that has more throw for outdoors but still with a fairly nice (i.e., useable) spillbeam. I'm thinking about a KL3 on a 6P or C2 body with a 2 stage switch (McC2S), an E2L with a 2 stage switch (McE2S), or waiting to see what else Fenix will come out with in their P series and in their E series. I'm also thinking about the A2, but I think I'd prefer to go with a 2 stage LED.

I know the SFs use different cells than the Fenix, but that's OK. I also plan to use just primaries, not rechargeables.

I've read nice things about both the KL3 and KL1 heads. One post said that the KL3 is the classic series equivalent of the KL1, but flashlightreviews.com's numbers do show a difference. Perhaps he measured the KL3 with the TIR optic before the fresnel rings were added? The 3+ hour regulated runtime for the KL3 is very attractive. Any comments, advantages, disadvantages on the two SFs? Any other suggestions? I want to limit the outlay to $150, so the U2 is out.

Also, can anyone tell me if these shots of the KL3 are of the latest version (TIR optic with rings)? It's a super tight beam, and I'd definitely want more spill. If it's not the latest version, does anyone have a beamshot of the latest version? BTW, I like the L5 beam in this set of shots, but I don't think it can be made into a 2 stage, can it?

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/111962

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, it seems like you've already "narrowed" down the lights. While I don't know much about the two-stage switching but know there are, you can't go wrong with either of the SureFires you've stated.

Ever considered some of the single celled lights?

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a KL3 (new with fresnel lens) on a C2 body with 6P tailcap for a couple of months now.

Very happy. Knocks the socks off my ARC +4, INOVA T1 (which the beam most closely resembles), Fenix L2P, G&P 3W drop in and is only just beaten by my ORB raw 3W on high (to my eyes).

The beamshot you directed to looks like the same model. No drawbacks as such with it, doesn't get too hot, haven't changed batts yet etc, But the head is quite large and I have yet to find a good holster for it.

All in all, a very nice light - considering putting one in my Ultrasabre!

Be lucky...

tsl

Enlightened
CHC said:
Well, it seems like you've already "narrowed" down the lights. While I don't know much about the two-stage switching but know there are, you can't go wrong with either of the SureFires you've stated.

Hmmm ... guess I might have, but they're still only options I'm kicking around. One thing (among many) that appealed to me with the Surefire line-up was its interchangeability.

CHC said:
Ever considered some of the single celled lights?

Some of the single cell lights are so small, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get a good grip on the thing ... or I might lose it! I saw a Surefire E1E Thurs. night and couldn't believe how small it was.

LEDninja said:

Looks nice and super bright, but I'd prefer greater run time on high and a tail switch.

Any other suggestions or comments?

CLHC

Flashaholic
Here's another option you may wish to consider. How about the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer LUXEON? These can be had for $25.00[ish] from Fox International located in the Dealer's Corner of this forum.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
cr123 primary although cheaper when bought online will be DANG expensive in the long run.

the a2 alone will be able to kill you with the amount of primary cells it will be using up.

i highly recommend rechargeable options, we are already burning fuels to get heat to create electricity. we don't need the cells to take up more spacez!!!

you will be happy with a strion. or something from wolfeyes...

InfidelCastro

Banned
A Surefire E2L will have a little brighter beam and a little bit more throw, but not as good a spillbeam. And you'll be having to use lithiums.

tsl

Enlightened
CHC said:
Here's another option you may wish to consider. How about the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer LUXEON? These can be had for $25.00[ish] from Fox International located in the Dealer's Corner of this forum.

The numbers on flashlightreviews.com are nice, and the price can't be beat. That said, I'm looking for a two-stage, or something that can be modded into a two-stage, and from my quick search here, it doesn't look like the 4AA can be made into a two-stage.

Hoghead said:
The McC2S will work with the Surefire L5.

Don't overlook the Surefire L2.

Thanks for answering the question about the 2-stage for the L5. After further searching, I had found out that the L5 uses the C2 body, so it makes sense that the McC2S would work on it. Only issue is that price would be up to $175.

About the L2 (and the smaller L4) ... I know they're flood, but can their "wall of light" light up an object 40-50 yards away?

AFAustin said:
I like my Streamlight 2L 3w Task Light. $54 shipped from Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...glance&n=228013. Quickbeam (flashlightreviews.com) put its throw # at ~49, pretty high for an LED light. Also has good useable spill, esp. on "high". And, I've had great success using R123A rechargeable cells in it.

This was one of the first two-stage lights I looked into. Didn't really like the fact that the switching was high-low-off.

chesterqw said:
cr123 primary although cheaper when bought online will be DANG expensive in the long run.

The reason why I wasn't planning on going with rechargeables is actually due to info I found here on this forum. I wouldn't be using this light every day but more infrequently, and I read that rechargeables would only be best if the light was being used often. I want something that's ready to go even if it's been sitting for a month.

InfidelCastro said:
A Surefire E2L will have a little brighter beam and a little bit more throw, but not as good a spillbeam. And you'll be having to use lithiums.

Would there be more spillbeam if it had a 2-stage switch and the switch was on low, or would it have the same beam but less bright and less throw?

Last edited:

InfidelCastro

Banned
Not as good a spillbeam was probably an understatement, the E2L has almost no spillbeam without a beamshaper which adds to the bulk and decreases the output.

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
tsl said:
Thanks for answering the question about the 2-stage for the L5. After further searching, I had found out that the L5 uses the C2 body, so it makes sense that the McC2S would work on it. Only issue is that price would be up to $175.

About the L2 (and the smaller L4) ... I know they're flood, but can their "wall of light" light up an object 40-50 yards away?

I looked at this light as a first two-stage light to get and was turned off by the fact that the new switches are xenon - LED - xenon - off. The new arrangement looks like a lot of clicking just to turn the thing off.

The reason why I wasn't planning on going with rechargeables is actually due to info I found here on this forum. I wouldn't be using this light every day but more infrequently, and I read that rechargeables would only be best if the light was being used often. I want something that's ready to go even if it's been sitting for a month.

Would there be more spillbeam if it had a 2-stage switch and the switch was on low, or would it have the same beam but less bright and less throw?

The L4 can be modded into a 2 stage. That's what i'm going to do with mine. As for rechargebles. The only cells that will discharge on their own are the NiMh cells. With the CR123 lights though, they take lithium rechargeables. Lithiums have like a discharge rate that's really really low. If you were to fully charge up a lithium cell, leave it sitting a couple of months, it would still close to full probably. At least in the 90%+ so i wouldn't worry about that. The L4 still has somewhat decent throw given it's flood like beam. You could always pair that up with an e2e or something like that. It's an incandescent so it will have the throw that you're looking for. Get one of fivemega's mods and it will take rechargeables and be brighter.

tsl

Enlightened
If I was to go single cell, 2 (or more) stage, what would you recommend that's more powerful than the L2T and with better throw ... HDS 60?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight 2L 3w Task Light is not a xenon light---it has a 3w Luxeon. The switching sequence (unless they've changed it) is high-low-off. I wonder if you were getting this light confused with the SL 2L Twin-Task?

tsl

Enlightened
AFAustin said:
The Streamlight 2L 3w Task Light is not a xenon light---it has a 3w Luxeon. The switching sequence (unless they've changed it) is high-low-off. I wonder if you were getting this light confused with the SL 2L Twin-Task?
You're absolutely right ... my bad.

TheIlluminator

Newly Enlightened
It sounds like the Jetbeam meets your requirements. It is about 15% brighter and the 3 stage (5% 70% 100%) version will be out at the end of the month. Also if you want you can put a 14500 li-ion battery for some serious brightness. Happy hunting.

tsl

Enlightened
TheIlluminator said:
It sounds like the Jetbeam meets your requirements. It is about 15% brighter and the 3 stage (5% 70% 100%) version will be out at the end of the month. Also if you want you can put a 14500 li-ion battery for some serious brightness. Happy hunting.

Yeah, I saw the Jetbeam Mk. II on the website as new for July, but the only configuration that's more powerful than the L2T (according to flashlightreviews.com) is the 2AA ... not terribly bad looking with the AA extension tube, but not all that great looking either.

InfidelCastro

Banned
It has half the runtime of the L2T for not much more power it seems.

The thing I don't like about it is the different modes it goes to when the batteries reach a certain voltage. So, if I charge my batteries and leave it sitting around for a few days, now what do I have like a half hour of 3W brightness? And what's the deal with the direct drive only working from 3.7-4.2V?