bad day (update)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
today i saw a building on fire.... it was a very large apartment building; smoke was all over the town... and i saw a woman crying.... it was awful.... turns out that nobody was hurt... good thing.

My cat was acting very sluggish lately, he seems very tired, and hopefully not sick. He hardly eats.

-David

Last edited:

dragoman

Enlightened
Re: bad day

Sucks man.....hope he pulls out of it......I have a cat too, she is my furball...

dragoman

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

it seems my cat has left the space under my steps, and now i cant find him.... I really think he needs to go the the vet soon. I am really worried.

-david

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, my cat is home.... he is weak, and hardly eats. He moves very slowly. I cant figure out whats wrong with him.

-David

Taylorf

Enlightened

Where and how did you find him?

Have you brought him to the vet yet?

I hope he gets better.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might want to consider an emergency visit to the vet or to an emergency vet clinic if the situation looks grave?

cheapo said:
well, my cat is home.... he is weak, and hardly eats. He moves very slowly. I cant figure out whats wrong with him.

-David

NAW

Enlightened

We spent over $1000 for our cat the last time she went to the vet. Our cat wasn't eating for quite a few days and she lost 5lbs. Our cat had a disease that makes them refuse to eat. You may want to go bring your cat to the vet. If not monitor your cat and see if he improves. After that it should be definetley off to the vet if still no improvements.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Taylorf said:
Where and how did you find him?

Have you brought him to the vet yet?

I hope he gets better.

he was in front of my front door. He is sleeping now upside down, like many cats do.... that is a good sign.

-David

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might want to consider a trip to the vet just in case. Even if he is just tired right at the moment, if he was gone for any time he may picked up something along the way, even bitten. A bit of prevention would not hurt.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

he seems to be almost back to normal. Monday we'll take him in, but I'm sure he'll be fine by then. We had him get his shots about 2-3 weeks ago.

-David

Empath

Flashaholic

The advice to see a vet is good advice. A cat that isn't eating, depending on certain circumstances, can be very serious. If your cat is basically a thin cat, and has little fat to draw from when it's fasting, it actually stands a better chance of survival than a cat with an abundant supply of fat.

What happens with a cat with plenty of fat, is that the fat is moved from it's tissues to the liver. The fat overwhelms the liver, and causes a disease called "hepatic lipidosis". If not treated quickly enough, it's generally fatal.

The primary reason a cat quits eating is due to upper respiratory infection disabling their ability to smell. To a cat, smell is an essential stimulus to their appetite. If they can't smell, they don't eat. What you can do to encourage them to eat is to get the smelliest food you can find, one that they could smell through plugged up nostrils. If they smell it, they'll probably eat it. If they still won't eat, you can smear some of the food on their paw, and they'll lick it off. Even ill, most cats will still try to groom themselves if they get something sticky on their fur.

Incidentally, a cat under stress, which would be one way of describing a cat that has panicked due to fireworks, becomes very susceptible to upper respiratory infection. You hear of cats that quit eating while their owner is on vacation, or experiencing other stressful things, but it's usually because the stress weakens their immune system and they develop a URI. The URI will generally clear up in a few days, but the secondary problems can create the real problems.

Here's a site that offers a fairly good explanation.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

wow empath, you know your cats... I am impressed. Thanks a bunch for the advice.... I have gotten him to eat some dry food and a little peice of bacon.... he hasnt eaten much, but the fact that he has eaten some is good news.... he also comes to me and wants to be petted.... I think he is doing better, but until he eats his normal amount, i cant be sure... i will crack open a can of tuna for him now.... once again, thanks.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, i opened a back of moist cat food (chicken and gravy) and put it on a plate and set it in front of him. Normally, he'd have run over to me and "tell" me to hurry up and give him the food. Today, I had to put it in front of him.... not normal. He just licked a little gravy off, and that was it.... not good.

-David

NAW

Enlightened

Empath said:
What happens with a cat with plenty of fat, is that the fat is moved from it's tissues to the liver. The fat overwhelms the liver, and causes a disease called "hepatic lipidosis". If not treated quickly enough, it's generally fatal.

Thats the same thing that happened to my kitty cat. We tried to give her food and she sniffed it and walked away. Are cat had to spend 3 days overnight at the vet. They had to tube feed her and they had given her IV fluid through the arm. Then after a few days the bill was to much so we took her back home and to feed her by a syringe. What was hard was our cat threw up the food that she was able to get in her stomach. Shes okay now but the $1000+ bill was insane.

Word of advice Cheapo. Look at your cat and see if your cat is starting to look yellow. When your cat starts to look or change yellow that ain't good.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

David, please get him to a vet soon. The fact that he wanted to be petted could be a sign that he's in discomfort and is seeking some relief from it. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, he is starting to eat more now... still not quite up to his normal amount, but he ate.

-David

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

my cat today was trying to cough something up and he just couldnt get it out. He could hardly breath, he was weasing. He wouldnt eat anything, he hardly moved... i took him in.... it turns out he HAD AN UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTION. You guys are really smart. We got him a shot, and we need to give him medication twice a day..... please give me some tips.. how do i get him to drink?? or eat?

i should have taken him in earlier, i really hope he can pull through.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

he looks really bad... i mean, he is just in a dark corner, and he weezes, and can hardly breath... we got him a shot, and it is a race against time for it to kick in, because if it doesnt soon......

-david