• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Sell - Mini-Mag 2 AA custom barrel

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a standard 2 AA Mini-Mag that has been powder coated white. The barrel was them put on a lathe and grooved the entire length, These grooves were then hand filled with charcoal powder and baked. the result is a truly unique look. I am selling this one to support my hobby and get more lights to try different looks.

There is only one of these -

Selling price - $30.00 - shipping in the US is an additional $3.00 with delivery confirmation.

PayPal info upon request.

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
A question came up on how this was done.

Truth be told - It is threaded - like 8 TPI - (I don't know exactly because I just mixed the gears on the lathe to give the least threads per inch ) then I started another thread cut right next to the first - called multiple thread starts , OK - so now I have 2 grooves running the length of the barrel. Put the feed in reverse, and cut 2 threads going the other way. This left it rather rough. flat file across the top to remove sharp edges,

Powder coat it white, let it cool. brush in charcoal powder to fill in the grooves, bake it again and there you have it

a little 1000 grit wet or dry across the top -

easy - right ..

every one does fins, grooves, and concentric circles, the challange is to do something different, unique. - By the way - this has a nce feel in the hand.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done a lot of mags with powder coat - they are very durable. The powder is much tougher than paint, but not as hard as anodize. I hammered a nail with one, it did chip the paint a bit, but then anodize would have scratched. I have dropped them on the floor, carpet is OK, wood is OK, concrete is a not so good, gets scratched, but then so would anodize.

The big advantage with powder - there are so many more colors available..