worst/best place to live.

leduk

Enlightened
My folks have just returned from Finland. They said the sun shone all night and some plants were 3 times the size of the UK versions.

Now sun all night might be OK for old folks who get up at 3 am. But I'd never get to use a torch.

Do you get a long winter to compensate, when you can go flashychotic?

Cheers

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two places I wouldn't want to live would be where it's hottest and coldest.
El Azizia, Libya-57.8 Celcius/136 Fahrenheit and Vostok, Antartica where the temp once dipped down to -89 Celcius/-129 Fahrenheit. Not exactly suntanning weather.

Not sure I'd care to live by the Alaki swamp on Mount Wai'ale'ale in Hawwaii either. There's just something about the area getting more than 40 feet of percipatation a year that doesn't sound welcoming.

savumaki

Enlightened
The midnight sun only occurs in the northern reaches of Finland as it does here in Canada and then only in what we call summer; on the other hand it would be flashaholic heaven in winter when there is NO sun :candle::candle:.

Karl

leduk said:
My folks have just returned from Finland. They said the sun shone all night and some plants were 3 times the size of the UK versions.

Now sun all night might be OK for old folks who get up at 3 am. But I'd never get to use a torch.

Do you get a long winter to compensate, when you can go flashychotic?

Cheers

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Best place to live? for me that would be a nice little house in the countryside, about 10 miles from a town for convenience. medium sized city within 50 miles. french and english countryside is nice, but US would be better as tax system is a bit more attractive :)
The place should have real summers and winters... and it should be dark at night :)

Scythe_rr

Newly Enlightened
LumenHound said:
There's just something about the area getting more than 40 feet of percipatation a year that doesn't sound welcoming.

Sounds a bit like England

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best place to live has (in order):

1. Safety, security, rule of law, peace
2. Good, constrained government (no bullyboys in uniforms or turbans, some orderly way to change leadership) who are subject to the will of their citizens
3. Civilized people (law abiding, live and let live) who are willing to accept the consequences of their actions
4. A good job
5. Good family and friends
6. Good physical infrastructure, commercial and public services
7. Modern amenities (broadband, Fry's...)
8. Good weather
9. (Just for me..) right to own firearms
10. Nice scenery
11. Good restaurants and book stores
12. Dark nights

None of these are black and white. All are on a gray scale of how good/perfect you can be in each area.

On balance, Southern California is pretty nice.

Also a reminder of how lucky most of us here are in that most of us don't have to worry about any of the things above number 8...

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off topic old joke:

Heaven is the place where the police are British, the cooks are French, the lovers Italian, bureaucrats Swiss, and the mechanics are German.

Hell is the place where the cooks are British, the engineers Italian, bureaucrats French, lovers Swiss, and the police German.

Many other versions of this insulting different nationalities and ethnic groups...

goldenlight

Enlightened
There was a report on National Public Radio's Marketplace Program (USA) that states that the most expensive city to live in isn't Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York, or any other usual suspects: it is Moscow(!).

Living in the USA, of course, I know little about Moscow. However, my impression, likely garnered from USA propaganda, was that Moscow was a rather poor city, lots of poorly constructed Soviet era apartment megacomplexes, and slums, of course. Not my idea of the most expensive city in the world to live in.

Unfortunately, National Public Radio's Marketplace Program didn't go into any detail at all; it was basically a 60 second soundbyte. But I tend to trust NPR more than any other broadcast media in the USA; liberal leaning well known, of course.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:

2. Good, constrained government (no bullyboys in uniforms or turbans, some orderly way to change leadership) who are subject to the will of their citizens
3. Civilized people (law abiding, live and let live) who are willing to accept the consequences of their actions
4. A good job
8. Good weather
10. Nice scenery
12. Dark nights

None of these are black and white. All are on a gray scale of how good/perfect you can be in each area.

Also a reminder of how lucky most of us here are in that most of us don't have to worry about any of the things above number 8...

As long as you stay far from L.A that is.

dan_

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion New Zealand is a very sweet place to live-
but if I could, I would like to live in Canada... just love this country!
wouldn´t want to life in a flat place with long & cold winters..

jtr1962

Flashaholic
My list of criteria in no particular order:

1. Good local and intercity rail transportation
2. Variety of stores within walking distance
3. Car ownership not necessary (better yet no cars allowed, period)
4. Temperatures never above 55°F or below -10°F and variety in weather (rain, snow, sleet, etc.)
5. Relatively low crime
6. Low sales taxes and no income taxes at all
7. Large city environment
8. Low housing costs

I haven't heard of a place yet that meets all these criteria. NYC is good for 1, 2, first half of 3, 5, and 7. Now if only we could ban personal cars within city limits, build some more subways, eliminate high taxes, reduce housing costs, and get rid of summers it would be close to ideal. Most other places in the US would be hard pressed to meet more than two of my criteria.

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
Nerdgineer,

To be frank you guys in the states are much better off compared to my place. Most of the places you live in has most if not all in the list.

Point number 10, every country has it. You have to know where to look.

I'm migrating to Australia next year so hopefully things are better.:)

nerdgineer said:

4. A good job
8. Good weather
10. Nice scenery
12. Dark nights

Last edited:

Pila_Power

Enlightened
Hey Brian - welcome to Australia mate!! Well... soon at least! :)

Grab a beer, kick back with some mates and have a bloody good cook-up on the barbie. ;)

ps: NEVER eat a meat pie...sorry, OFFAL pie.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only place I ever lived (and I've lived for a few months at a time in some pretty horrible places) that had no redeeming qualities..... that I resented nearly every breath that I took there, was Phoenix, AZ.

(Actually, that's not quite fair... Phoenix had a couple of restaurants that I really miss; and Fry's Electronics;
Also, a great metal scrap yard and a great electronics/machinery surplus yard that were wonderful and would gladden the heart of any CPFer.....)

Other than that though.... You couldn't pay me enough to even visit there, much less live there again..... I'd move to the middle of Gangland L.A. or maybe even Mogadishu before I'd live in Phoenix again.