purple multi-watt LED??

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Are there any purple LEDs out there (bigger than 5mm, I mean) ? I guess there's no purple Luxeon. I couldn't find a purple Cree either.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean like a black light type of purple? Or just purple?

I would be interested in this also. :popcorn:

Size15's

Flashaholic
There certainly are. SureFire's Purple Inspection Light (not being released to the public) uses a purple LED (not UV)
K2-PL-002s.jpg

K2-PI-001.jpg

Shelby Chan Photography

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats a cool light right there!
what type of led does it use? maker?

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if Edison Opto is making it with the help of the phosphor technology they liscenced from Intematix back in September of last year?

greenLED

Flashaholic
The guys from Seoul Semi had some eerie-looking LED's at SHOT. IIRC, they had some shades of purple and even pink - all *very* bright. Not sure what the release stage of those is or if they were just making us drool.

Illum

Flashaholic
theres some Dental Luxeons sold at luxeonstar.com, used for curing cement

its pretty UV to me... lol

I had fillings cured by UV before...enough to buy a car...we're talking some 20 fills here...a few crowns, and a few extractions...

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Nitroz, yep, I'm curious just about purple. (Not a desperate desire for purple, but just a curiosity...) If you're interested in UV though, there are some options; take a look here, for instance.

Size15's, wow, great pics! And that's a strange looking emitter.

Turbo_E, I did think of doing that. What is really cool is this ; having seen that thing, if I started down that path, I wouldn't be happy stopping short of that...

Illum_the_nation, oh, I thought Luxeon Dental was the same thing as Royal Blue, until I looked at luxeonstar.com. I have a Royal Blue Lux-III FLuPic Q-III, which is neat ; and it produces a very deep blue color. Dental blue is even closer to UV, I gather? Oh, wait, I also have a Red/Orange light... Why didn't I think of trying them both before -- What happens if I shine them together at a wall.... <<where's the wifey's fancy digicam...>> Aha!!

A reference, to understand the scene; object presented for the sake of interest, and to give the digicam something to auto-focus on...

Royal Blue and Red/Orange, unfortunately they're much different reflectors. (Underexposed to avoid blooming)

What happens if I combine them??

Let me try a different approach... Here's blue-

Plus red-

Try to provide more opportunity for gradients-

I think my dodecahedron is going to melt...

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Illum

Flashaholic
nemul said:
umm... what kind of flashaholic are you? J/K lol

Hint hint, hes the administrator, you dont question the decisions made by the administrator, you conform and nod your head at whatever he says and hopefullyu you'll be safe.

the "Administrator" badge basically reads "obey me, I am root"

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
Hint hint, hes the administrator, you dont question the decisions made by the administrator, you conform and nod your head at whatever he says and hopefullyu you'll be safe.

the "Administrator" badge basically reads "obey me, I am root"
sounds like a dictatorship... only kidding!

oh believe me, I know! :aaa:

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
:laughing:

I was concerning myself with other things at the time. Purple flashlights? Who cares about purple SureFires? :naughty:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's some Cree UV lights, the Jil 1.3W, Aleph 19, and CR2 Ion. Not sure what the wattage is in comparison to a Luxeon, but it's at least a Lux I. They're not true purple, more of a UV/near UV, at around 395nm (purple would be 410), but it's still a visible purple, and also blacklights/fluoresces things very well.